Author Topic: Please help with milk products.  (Read 963 times)

Offline bobby's mama

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 26
  • Boca Raton, FL USA
    • My Expanding Life Blog
Please help with milk products.
« on: December 17, 2010, 02:01:37 am »
My 10mo dd hates to take the bottle. She makes it a major fight everytime.  She loves eating solids.  She will drink water from a sippy cup, but not milk.  She will only take about 6 oz of formula a day willingly.  What are some good foods to feed her to make up for the lack of formula? I do hide milk in her cereal and give her yogurt and cheese, but it seems like a lot to compensate for.  I am worried that if she isn't getting enough milk products her brain and bone development will suffer. 
Lisa ~~~~ 
Mama to:

Offline ~inbalance~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 272
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2010, 02:48:31 am »
Don't worry, dairy isn't the only source of fats and calcium and many people (adults and kids alike) get by on dairy-free diets.  :)

Hmmm, what about cottage cheese?  Also, do you think she'd enjoy a smoothie?  You could get all sorts of healthy stuff into smoothies, including milk and yogurt, spinach, and fish oil (a good source of omegas and something that is otherwise not appealing to take!)

To get more good fats into her try
*avocados
*adding coconut oil, olive oil, or organic unsalted butter to her solids (my naturopath suggested this for DS1 when he was a baby because he was so skinny.  I would literally add a spoon of one to his meals!)

More good sources of essential fatty acids (EFA's which include Omegas and DHA)
*fish and fish oils
*flaxseed and flaxseed oil

To get more calcium into her try
*sesame seed sprinkled on food, or sesame seed butter (tahini-a good ingredient for hummus) - although can be allergenic so try a little first and see how it goes
*beans
*blackstrap molasses (added to foods, i.e. in baked beans)
*amaranth
*broccoli and dark leafy green veggies

Many nuts and seeds are a good source of calcium but due to allergies and also choking hazards are best left until she is older.  However, you might be able to get a little creative and introduce some to her earlier. 

If you are worried, what about consulting a nutritionist to see what other ways you can help her make up for the loss of formula.  Also, maybe she would like almond milk mixed with coconut milk, it has a similar nutritional profile to cow's milk. 

Keep trying with the sippy, hopefully she will come around.

HTH  :)
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012