Author Topic: appropriate stimulation for short-napping 3mo?  (Read 1963 times)

Offline trimbler

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 37
appropriate stimulation for short-napping 3mo?
« on: December 17, 2010, 13:24:37 pm »
Hi,
Having short nap probs with 3mo so trying to keep things low-key as much as poss - only I really feel like we ought to be letting him play more now, use the baby gym more etc, for his development and enjoyment. Problem is he's always tired, even when he is enjoying playing, due to short naps and failed re-settling. I know the naps is an issue to work on itself, but in the mean time... it seems most of his A time is still feeding, nappy change and trying to settle/re-settle, and this doesn't seem quite right now - any ideas on quality stimulation that isn't too stimulating to affect the napping even more, IFKWIM?? Thanks!

Offline skatty

• Showing Appreciation 352
  • My spirited girl
Re: appropriate stimulation for short-napping 3mo?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2010, 18:22:19 pm »
I had a baby just like you have an I would advice without a doubt that baby gym etc are just OS! My dd didn't start being able to handle toys until much later, I remember when she was 5 months I bought her a Lamaze frog and she would love it for about 2 minutes and then just get totally angry with it, some LOs just take too much in! At 3 months most of my dd's A time was in the sling or having me talk to her, short walks in the pushchair (one where she could sit up as she has always been very curious or even just sitting in the garden/ walking around the house, basically her A times were like other babies winddowns!! Don't worry about his development, he will be fine, the fact that he gets so OS probably means he notices everything so he just needs to catch up with his fast brain  ;)
Katt

Offline trimbler

• Showing Appreciation 37
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2010, 19:56:51 pm »
Thanks that's reassuring, just seems a shame about the baby gym as he does seem to love it! But I agree he does really seem to take everything in so we probably shouldn't give him too much stimulation and overwhelm him - will be hard to achieve over Christmas though!

Offline skatty

• Showing Appreciation 352
  • My spirited girl
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2010, 07:26:15 am »
My dd was about the same age for her first Xmas and it was very hard, we did have some terrible sleep problems but it is hard to avoid  ::) If you are around a lot of people try and sneak him away verey now and again if you can, I used to say I was going to feed dd/ change her nappy and just sit quietly with her. Have a great Xmas  :-*
Katt

Offline cath~

• Showing Appreciation 152
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2010, 09:35:52 am »
Hi,
I have a very similar problem with my 3 mo too at the moment.  It's so hard to keep stimulation down though when you're meeting other people though isn't it?  I hate to say it but I am kind of looking forward to Christmas being over and we can get back to a more peaceful 'routine' again!
Good luck for the next couple of weeks!
DD1 - 8 years old
DD2 - 5 years old

Offline julesdq

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • My gorgeous little girl
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2011, 20:17:20 pm »
oh my gosh, it's like i'm reading about my own baby here!! i thought now that she's just turned 3 months i need to start ensuring she doesn't get bored and i give her toys, gym time, bouncy chair, books etc throughout the day but she's taking forever to settle and now only sleeping 30 mins at a time so i think i'm going to try and reduce stimulation for the next few days and see what happens. i think she also notices everything and gets so excited by everything. everyone comments on how alert she is so maybe that means she's just not ready for all these great toys i have for her :-)
hope all goes well ladies