Author Topic: Introducing new foods  (Read 1035 times)

Offline Bex09

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 69
  • My world xx
Introducing new foods
« on: December 17, 2010, 22:44:00 pm »
Hi just a quick question! My DD is 6.5 months and has been on solids for about 6 weeks now. She is doing well with experimenting with new tastes and finger foods so far. She has a wide variety of fruit and veg and cereals now and I want to move her on to introducing some new foods like cheese, yoghurt and meat. But is it important that I still introduce one new food at a time at this stage? I have looked at some recepies in various books and they seem to have a lot of ingredients in them, such as cooking chicken, with onion and garlic!! Now my LO hasn't had any of these so I am worried if I feed her these recepies and she reacts badly I won't know what has caused it. Should I just cook the chicken and then puree it in with things that she has already eaten like sweet potato or parsnip? TIA

Offline lulunut

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 4
Re: Introducing new foods
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2010, 00:51:39 am »
Wow!  Great on having your LO on solids!  That is wonderful!  And such a great variety!  Good for you!  And your LO!

I have found that introducing  a new food and giving it to them for 4-7 days and watch for a reaction.  It is best to introduce foods during the day in case of any tummy upsets.  You don't want that at night.  I have read that dairy is best at 9mts and up.  Keep it simple.  I think you are on the right track. 

Not sure if all this is helpful.  You sound like you are doing great so far!  This is just what I did with my LO.

Offline ~inbalance~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 272
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2010, 01:02:47 am »
Does your LO have any sensitivities or intolerances to start with?

There are two schools of thought here I think.  One is to keep going slow using the 3 day rule.  This is good especially if your LO has a sensitive tummy or if you have started solids before 6mos.

The second is that after 6mos a baby's tummy is mature enough to handle pretty much anything other than maybe some of the more troublesome foods, so you shouldn't have to wait 3 days between introduction.  This train of thought works particularly with baby-led weaning since technically baby isn't eating a whole heck of a lot to start with anyway.  With baby-led weaning, there are no restrictions really on what LO's can eat, pretty much anything goes after 6mos (with peanuts and honey being the exception).

Dairy is something you want to pay special attention to.  Cow's milk is certainly best left until a year, but you can introduce cheese and yogurt sooner.  I think you can try cheese and yogurt, but with those I would introduce, wait, and watch for reactions, just in case.

No way you go about it is wrong.  Just be prepared that if there is a reaction that it won't be so easy to figure out if she has had more than one food introduced.  Still, often it's not hard to play detective.

I never used the 3 day rule with DS1.  We did start kinda slow, but I got impatient and after about 7mos just kinda gave him whatever with no problems at all.  With DS2 we are doing BLW and I give him all sorts of things without waiting for reactions, and he's been fine.  :)
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012