Author Topic: lumps and finger foods  (Read 1586 times)

Offline mmom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 96
lumps and finger foods
« on: December 20, 2010, 18:05:49 pm »
My brain is mush and I don't know why I can't remember what I did the first time around.  What is the earliest I can start with "lumpy" foods?  C has been on purees for 2 months.  Also, I would like to offer foods that he has already tried as finger foods kind of like BLW (except we have already done purees.)  But is there a way to cook a food like sweet potatoes without oil?   Isn't a 7 month old baby to young for oil?
Kara

Offline newmummy82

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 6
Re: lumps and finger foods
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2010, 18:40:01 pm »
You are ok to start finger foods from 6 months onwards and BLW babies will have only that. Oil is ok but I also feel that don't want to give her greasy food!
I have made some meat casseroles with sweet potato in small chunks in for her to have in her hand (when cooled obviously). She has loved them! THen they are nice and soft without oil. I also got a bag of frozen mixed vegetables so I can defrost a few pieces of carrot/broccoli/cauliflower at a time- they come out really quite soft. We can also get tiny little pasta shapes that you can put into purees that you already use so familiar taste just with some texture added.

I think using finger foods help them to learn to deal with lumps at their own pace and not be frightened off!

Offline mmom

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2010, 18:42:18 pm »
Thanks!  I guess what I mean by oil is that for my 1st LO, I would cut the sweet potato in wedges and bake them.  But I used a tiny bit of oil on the pan, so that they didn't stick.  it was literally his favorite food for almost a year until he became insanely picky. ::)  So that is the part I don't get.  I can definitely steam frozen veggies or bake fruits to make them soft.  It is just the potatoes that I am getting stuck on.
Kara

Offline ~inbalance~

• Showing Appreciation 272
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2010, 18:57:58 pm »
Hey Kara, try tossing the sweet potato in a bag with a bit of olive oil then baking them.  :)
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012

Offline mmom

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2010, 19:41:21 pm »
Martina - I know F is a month younger, but are using oil at this point?
Kara

Offline ~inbalance~

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2010, 19:47:04 pm »
Not really, but only because I haven't had the opportunity.  He's not a big eater, I don't really make anything specifically for him, he just shares our meals.  So if we use oil in our food, I don't not give it to him, kwim.  I'm sure olive oil is perfectly fine.  Or coconut oil would work well too.  Honestly, I don't avoid much with him.  I don't do nuts and honey obviously, and have been avoiding dairy of course, won't give him anything I don't feel is healthy enough, won't give him anything with salt or sugar, and have sorta been avoiding tomatoes, citrus, and berries.  Other than that I've just been passing him all sorts of stuff.

You can do lumps now, but I'd go straight to more finger foods as he will learn how to deal with the lumps of food in his mouth faster than off a spoon.
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010

Offline Mama2boys

• Showing Appreciation 247
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2010, 19:53:22 pm »
am looking for ideas as well.

doc has not allowed us to start eggs, or any meats/protiens so not sure what to give DS2 besides mushed veggies and rice/lentils/beans :(

bfats is pretty boring too but he sems to be keen to eat anything from cookies to coconut
9 and 6, oh boy!

Offline ~inbalance~

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2010, 19:58:02 pm »
Hey mukta, what about other grains like quinoa or amaranth?  Quinoa is great for protein.  Can he have dairy, like cheese and yogurt?  I can't remember.  There are lots of other ways you can try veggies other than mushed, like steamed or roasted.  Dress 'em up, make it fun.  ;)
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010

Offline Mama2boys

• Showing Appreciation 247
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2010, 20:58:26 pm »
well we dont know if he is still MPI so will be testing end of month.

He is happy picking on steamed veggies that DS1 is chomping on. never tried Amaranth or Quinoa, but might need to give it a shot to add to his palate. He has eaten cooked egg in the formof a cake/pancake, it was an oops but am not sure it counts.
9 and 6, oh boy!

Offline mmom

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2010, 22:17:17 pm »
Ditto to what Martina said about quinoa and amaranth.  Both grains have all of the amino acids of a protein and are easily digestible.  You can make puddings, cereals, salads, etc out of them too.
Kara