Author Topic: Pregnant and Breastfeeding/Tandem feeding Support Thread part 2  (Read 184652 times)

Offline Fiver

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 152
  • Anyone for omelette?
Re: Pregnant and Breastfeeding/Tandem feeding Support Thread part 2
« Reply #135 on: February 07, 2012, 22:23:47 pm »
Not sure if this helps? :)  http://www.kellymom.com/nursingtwo/faq/18morningsickness.html  Even just to reassure that it's not abnormal :)
*** Amanda ***

Offline baileyscommet

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #136 on: February 15, 2012, 08:37:38 am »
Hi ladies, me back again. I'm really struggling at the minute and need some help. Just to recap, I have a lo who turned 1 at the beginning of the month. He is a right boobie monster. He has been ill for the past 3 weeks and can't seem to shift this cough/cold. He takes an hour to feed to sleep at night and at least that each he wakes in the night (which was last night was twice). He is up from 5 but just wants to feed ALL the time. So far since getting up he has demanded 7 feeds. This will continue all day. I'm exhausted and also 6 weeks pregnant. My morning sickness is kicking in and each time I feed him in the night I'm sick as soon as the feed finishes. I'm feeling faint and weak and surviving on 4/5 hrs sleep a night. I'm just at my wits end. I did have athread elsewhere about getting my lo to self settle and I really need to address this. There ate just so many issues and I don't know where to start. I also feel guilty for thinking about 'sleep training him' and also wanting to 'wean'. The feeding sensation is making my skin crawl during the night. It wouldn't be so bad if it took him at least an hour to resettle after each night waking. What on earth can I do?

Offline Khalam's Mama

• Showing Appreciation 123
« Reply #137 on: February 15, 2012, 11:21:43 am »
Do you think he is hungry? If so I would offer a snack instead of a feed. Would he have a hot milk in a cup instead? I added a tiny bit of hot chocolate when desperate. If he just wants the comfort I would start trying to teach self settling as you best to do it when pg than with a NB. Can you get him to lie with you to sleep rather than feed? Can you cuddle him or rock him with a view to wean those later? Will he suck a blankie instead?
Fwiw I did find these issues with feeling sick and it turning my stomach resolved somwhat around 12mo or 13w. Can dh do any bt?

Offline Khalam's Mama

« Reply #138 on: February 15, 2012, 11:23:24 am »
Oh and eat every 2hrs at least and drink loads and take a snack to bed too. A cereal bar was good for me.

Offline baileyscommet

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #139 on: February 15, 2012, 13:15:33 pm »
Hi, Its really difficult to tell because he will always eat and things have been so much worse since he has been ill. If I take him off the boob too early (before he is asleep) he will complain and go back to eating but then it peters into comfort sucking. He won't take anything from a cup. I cant even really get him to take much water either (he will from a straw cup but still not much). I really do need to sort this now in the early stages of pregnancy because if I stop the feeding him (if its been longer than 1 hour he's been latched on), he will fight me - push me, climb up me, arch himself and scream. I won't be able to handle this as my pregnancy develops.

My OH is backwards and forwards on whether or not he will help me. I think its safe to say that 'no' he isn't really around much. He has a very demanding job and travels alot. He is also rubbish if he hasn't had much sleep so I find its easier for me to just deal with these issues.

So my lo has been up since 5 and went down for a nap at 10.30am and is still asleep so he is clearly exhausted. He has missed lunch, we have no routine at all since he has been ill. I need to sort this mess out - where do I start? I shouldn't be feeding him more than he is eating now should I, which is what is happening at the minute? I don't know whether its time to try and nightwean completely.... sorry this is such a ramble I'm exhausted and drained!

Offline Fiver

• Showing Appreciation 152
  • Anyone for omelette?
« Reply #140 on: February 15, 2012, 19:49:29 pm »
Not BF related, but would it be worth a trip to the Dr to check him out since he's been unwell for so long, or have you done that already? :-\
*** Amanda ***

Offline Khalam's Mama

« Reply #141 on: February 15, 2012, 19:56:02 pm »
I would night wean. He doesn't need nf nutritionally at this age. I would feed hum up solids as much as possible all his fav meals. My sister told her boobaholic ds of a similar age that her Boobs were sore so needed a rest and surprisingly he accepted it no questions. Maybe you could try something like explaining and then just use words or a hand on him to help him soothe.

Offline baileyscommet

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #142 on: February 16, 2012, 20:35:59 pm »
Thanks for the advice. I will start to try and night wean him next weekend. Can't this weekend because we have my mil staying. He eats lots throughout the day but then when it gets to dinner time he barely eats anything and just screams and throws it all about. I think he is partly tired but not always. I've tried bringing dinner forward by up to an hour but that doesn't improve his mood

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #143 on: February 16, 2012, 20:47:39 pm »
Could you perhaps give him a big cooked lunch and then a smaller meal at dinner or supper time? You could always use last night's leftovers. I weaned my ds1's nf at 12.5m using pd and wo. My dh did it and it only took a week. He was waking almost every night for a feed around 4am for a few months before that. Personally if you need a break in the day and he is constantly demanding I would chose times when you are willing to BF and stick to them. You can explain that to him and then distract if he asked at other times perhaps. Good luck.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline Khalam's Mama

« Reply #144 on: February 17, 2012, 06:54:33 am »
Good luck.
 http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=124222.0
You might find some ideas and support here too.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 06:56:47 am by Khalam's Mama »

tigerlilly905

« Reply #145 on: February 21, 2012, 19:24:28 pm »
just curious, is there anyone left tandem nursing still?

Offline *Ali*

• Caught in the act!
« Reply #146 on: February 21, 2012, 22:28:15 pm »
Oh, I was still doing tandem nursing up until 9 days ago but as you know Cadan has just weaned at 26mo so I'm just BFing Colby these days.

You are doing so well tandem nursing your boys for so long Rebecca.

Offline Khalam's Mama

« Reply #147 on: February 21, 2012, 23:25:14 pm »
Not me anymore.

Offline Charlygirl

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #148 on: June 06, 2012, 02:09:02 am »
Hey girls just thought I would say hey, my LO is 16months and is still bf before BT, was thinking about weaning cos I am 10weeks pregnant with #2, however we are going on a very long OS flight in about two months so am now thinking fir sanitys sake on the airplane I might just stick with it for a little longer... I hv a strange thing happening though, DD will only feed of one side, and I'm pretty sure vie totally dried up on the other side...should I be pumping this other side or just leave it? I'm not even totally sure how much she is getting from the one side she does feed off anyways as her feeds are so short now I think it's more of a comfort thing than a nutritional one IYKWIM....any thoughts? Charly xx

Offline *Ali*

• Caught in the act!
« Reply #149 on: June 06, 2012, 18:04:21 pm »
Charleygirl you should check out the Extended nursing thread as I was just reading about someone else who was saying that happened to her DD and is now happening again with her DS.
 http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=212311.msg2503904#msg2503904
Have you tried switching holds to the rugby style hold when she asks to have the other side. I also heard it can sometimes mean discomfort from an ear infection on one side but I expect that is less common than just a preference. I probably wouldn't pump unless you get engorged and need to relieve the pressure.