Author Topic: Pregnant and Breastfeeding/Tandem feeding Support Thread part 2  (Read 184768 times)

Offline Charlygirl

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Re: Pregnant and Breastfeeding/Tandem feeding Support Thread part 2
« Reply #150 on: June 07, 2012, 11:47:30 am »
Ok thanks, will hv a look at it... It is not engorged at all so I don't think I'll pump, just kinda worried I'll be a little lopsided...lol.

Offline BBMama

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #151 on: July 29, 2013, 16:22:06 pm »
Hi  DD is 8  months old and we are trying to get pregnant again.  I am an older mom and father time is not on my side!  Any tips on how to increase my chances of getting PG?  My OBGYN doctor wants me to stop BF, but according to the wonderful ladies on the BF boards, I can easily BF, get prego, and continue on after.  We have been trying to give DD a bottle since she started refusing at 4 months old, but she is a stubborn little one and will not drink.  We are in the process on working on sippy cups with a straw. 

Thanks!!!

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #152 on: July 29, 2013, 17:00:18 pm »
Ah you having monthly cycles yet? How many feeds are you doing a day and are any NFs?
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline BBMama

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #153 on: July 30, 2013, 00:01:24 am »
I'm glad to hear there are others out there.  :)  I am concerned that my cycle has only returned once (at 6 months) and not since.  How do I get it to start again?  I am following a 4 hour easy with only one night feeding at night...at 4:00 am! 

Offline *Ali*

• Caught in the act!
« Reply #154 on: July 30, 2013, 07:11:24 am »
I know many people find their cycles return more regularly when they wean the night feed so they are going about 12hrs without feeding. How do you feel about weaning the NF? Do you think she really needs it?

If you didn't want to wean the NF or you do and that doesnt help then, and I know you have been looking at weaning to formula completely so, what about just swapping the BT BF to a bottle of formula? That way you would be going from the mid afternoon feed (Im guessing around 3pm) to the NF around 4am. That would give you a longer stretch without feeding and may kick start your cycles.

If you aren't really keen on giving formula then would it be a major issue to wait 4 months until she turns 1yo and you could wean straight to cows milk?

What do you think?

The other thing to bear in mind is if you have been using a form of contraception it may take a while for the effects of that to stop. I'm sure that is something your obgyn would be dealing with though.

Offline BBMama

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #155 on: August 01, 2013, 00:10:04 am »
Thanks do much for all your ideas.

I am all up for anything...formula, expressed milk, cow's milk in a few months...my biggest problem is that my daughter won't take a bottle. She did until the age of 4 months and then stopped.

We r workin in this now. I just read a link about stooping nighttime feedings by decreasing the minutes. I am goin to start this tonight and see how it goes.

Thanks again. I hope one of these works!!!

Offline *Ali*

• Caught in the act!
« Reply #156 on: August 01, 2013, 20:46:52 pm »
Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

Offline Khalam's Mama

• Showing Appreciation 123
« Reply #157 on: August 02, 2013, 20:40:45 pm »
At 8mo I wouldn't even try for a bottle but see if he will drink from some sort of cup. Mine loved an open cup at this age. A sippy cup might also work.

Good luck ttc

Offline Fiver

• Showing Appreciation 152
  • Anyone for omelette?
« Reply #158 on: August 03, 2013, 20:00:14 pm »
Seconding trying a cup :)
*** Amanda ***

Offline *Ali*

• Caught in the act!
« Reply #159 on: August 03, 2013, 20:03:01 pm »
I just remembered there is a TTC while breastfeeding thread which may be worth posting on just for support with TTC. It isn't very active right now but like this thread there are people on there who will see your post who have btdt. TTC while BFing thread

Offline aboveallrubies

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #160 on: December 20, 2013, 15:37:00 pm »
Hi ladies,

First off, before I move forward, I want to begin with a statement about how I am a failure with the EASY routine as it seems because my 9.5 month old is still waking several times at night to nurse.  I'm a mess in that area in itself and am too embarrassed to ask for more help on the forum but probably should.  Anywho, so here's the purpose of this...

My daughter is still nursing several times a day and at night but I am feeding her 3 solids meals a day and JUST found out we are expecting our third.  She will NOT drink from a bottle (it's too late to start on that now anyway IMO) or a cup.  She just kind of smiles at the sippy and bites it. If water does get in her mouth she often lets it run out.  (I haven't tried any other liquids.) 

My concerns:

1. My milk could run out
2. Depleting myself of any nutrition I need myself to keep growing the one in utero and my daughter.
3. Worried about transitioning her to a cup and feeling like she never will!
4. Wondering if I am going to be waking up at night to feed two kids at different hours for the next two years.

Any advice is very appreciated!  Thank you for reading about my problems!

Offline *Ali*

• Caught in the act!
« Reply #161 on: December 20, 2013, 21:57:19 pm »
Please don't be embarrassed to post. There is no shame in doing what you felt was best for your daughter and your family at the time. If you are ready to change that now there are many mamas here who have btdt and would love to offer you their support and advice.

There is some great info here on nursing in pregnancy. http://www.kellymom.com/nursingtwo/resources/pregnancynursing-faq.pdf

Your supply may decrease but it may not. You can watch your dd for signs she isn't getting enough milk but don't worry unnecessarily as that can cause problems itself. Have you spoken to your dr about meeting your DD's milk requirements?our body will prioritise the baby in your womb so don't worry about depriving him/her.

My DS1 was 10.5mo when I fell pregnant with DS2. I nursed him throughout the pg and in tandem until DS2 was 6mo. We were feeding 4x in the day and once overnight when I got pg. I weaned the NF shortly after so DS1 and I could get the sleep we needed. We also dropped to 3 day feeds just after a year and 2 day feeds a couple months later. How do you feel about weaning the. NFs but keeping the day feeds? How many day feeds is she having now?

Have you tried a straw sippy? BFed LOs often do well with those.

Hugs.

Offline Babybinners

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #162 on: April 22, 2015, 03:56:49 am »
Hi,

I'm breastfeeding my 13month dd1 and 16wks pregnant with dd2. I don't feel ready to give up breastfeeding just yet, but wondered if people had any practical experience of tandem nursing post cesarean section?

My dd only feeds from the breast (never had EBM from bottle/sippy cup) x2 day currently but I envisage her being down to X1 feed by time dd2 gets here in October. I'll be in hospital for a maximum of x5nights post cesarean and wondering how people managed feeds whilst away from breastfed toddlers?

Thank you

Offline *Ali*

• Caught in the act!
« Reply #163 on: April 22, 2015, 18:36:06 pm »
My 20mo just went without while i was in hospital for 2 days when i had ds2. He was having morning wu and bt bfs. While i was away he  just had breakfast with Daddy in the morning and a yogurt or small cup of cows milk if he wanted it before bt. He wasn't feeding to sleep so had teeth brushed after normally anyway.

I had a normal delivery with ds2 despite having emcs with my other two so i have no experience of that. You may just be able to try different positions or tell him you are too sore for a few days if he would accept that? Is he an independent sleeper? If he feeds to sleep i would try to stop that before you go into hospital so it is easier for him to sleep without the breast while you're away.  We moved the bf to before the bath to help separate It from sleep.

The easiest position i imagine would probably be him sitting beside you,  facing you like a rugby hold?

Khalam's mama fed her toddler after an emc so she might see this and reply soon.

Offline Bella89

• Showing Appreciation 15
« Reply #164 on: July 16, 2015, 20:48:43 pm »
Hi Ladies,
Just moved from another post here.

My DS is almost 6 months and we decided to start trying for a second baby. We waited for our son 3 years and we feal like there is no time to waste. My LO is BF, We started solids 3 days ago with 2 teaspoons of applesauce. He has been a little constipated though, and I regret buying apples and doing it myself instead of ready jar baby food. But back on the topic:) My doctor wants me to stop BF as it will speed up the cycle. I didnt have my period yet.

I feed at 3am, 7am, 11am, 4pm, 6pm, 7.30pm and 11pm. At first I thought of weaning day feeds, but after reading these posts I think maybe better would be trying to limit night feeds?  What do you think would be better? To be honest I was going with what would be more convenient for me, didnt know that it makes difference:/

My DS takes bottle well, we were giving him formula when away from home. He sometimes was too distracted or scared to take bottle. He had to turn away from the room and was all shaky. But I am really hesitant about formula... I know many kids eat it and dont even BF, but I justfeel like after we fought so hard for BF it is such a loss for both of us. I feel like I am taking something so precious from my baby. This is all so sad for me:(

I thought I will be able to feed for 12mnths and go to cows milk, but at 6 mnths it's too early, i know.

My mom inlaw wants me to mix cows milk with wated instead of formula. Daaaaa, im so confused:(