Author Topic: Hair washing fobia  (Read 1620 times)

Offline epmoreno

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • Rocking the Great Wall
Hair washing fobia
« on: December 25, 2010, 16:36:46 pm »
Not sure if this is the right place for this post but... here goes my question.

Our LO is nearly 2 years old and, during the last couple of months, he has developed a real shower-fobia. He is fine with baths, but can't stand the shower or washing his hair at all (even with a sponge)! We have tried everything.... getting into the bath with him, showing him how we wash our own hair... nothing seems to work. The moment we wet his hair or let the shower run he cries and scream non stop.

Any ideas? Thank you !!!

Offline ~*Nicole*~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 178
  • Formerly: *Nicole-Ava's mom*
Re: Hair washing fobia
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2010, 17:13:53 pm »
Use a cup rather than the shower and have him look up to the sky so the water/soap doesn't go over his face or near his eyes. Use your hand at the top of his forehead to block it some more. It's less scary than the shower. I just do this with her in the tub and use the tub water. If you wanted, you could run the sink and use clean sink water rather than the already kinda yucky bath water. It takes awhile for them to get over being scared but he'll come around!

Offline teilvnav

• Showing Appreciation 90
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2010, 18:11:22 pm »
My DS has always completely freaked out when you try to tip him backwards to wash his hair, to the point that for a while he cried whenever it was bath time. Now we just wet his hair with a cloth, lather the shampoo on the cloth, and use that to wash his hair. To rinse we just get him to look at the sky and carefully rinse it using a cup of warm water. He is fine with this now.

Oh, we also only wash his hair with soap every second day unless there is a reason to do it more often; on non-soap days we just rinse it with the warm water and rub it a bit with a damp cloth.
Amy

Offline We Three

• Showing Appreciation 418
  • The Sweetest Thing....
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2010, 18:22:24 pm »
I agree...the shower can be scary for a 2 yr old....and 2 seems to be a common age to develop a sudden fear of the tub...my dd sure did!  I agree that hair doesn't need to be washed every day.  Hot summer days, yes, but even then you could get by with a quick rinse I'd say, esp if his hair is short.  Give him a folded washcloth that he might hold across his forehead, and rinse with a cup. Also sometimes they feel more control if they stand up in the tub...if that is ok with your house rules. 

Offline koe2moe

• Showing Appreciation 250
  • Battle on the chess board
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2010, 18:31:29 pm »
Hi DS wasn't too keen on hair rinsing either.  He absolutely hates the shower.  What I find is that to rinse with a toy teapot because the spout aims the water better and it doesn't go over everywhere.  HTH

Offline epmoreno

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • Rocking the Great Wall
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2010, 09:22:10 am »
Thank you for the tips !!!!  :)