Author Topic: Dinnertime Solids for Silent Refluxer ?  (Read 1132 times)

Offline gormella

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Dinnertime Solids for Silent Refluxer ?
« on: December 28, 2010, 21:41:59 pm »
Hi All,

My 9 month DD has silent reflux but thankfully is doing really well on her meds (ranitidine and domeperidone).   She eats her solids very well and takes to both babyled weaning and spoonfeeding.

My issue is that I cant fit in her evening dinner meal!  She has an early bedtime, (between 5.30 and 6.00pm) due to her being a sleepy baby with OT and Im really worried about her having reflux issues at bedtime.  So she still just has her bottle before bed.  Is it really important to make sure she gets this meal?  Of course, one day, it will be a proper meal when she's older.  Its just that we have so little A time in the afternoon to get out and about so it would be hard to bring it forward to be earlier.  

Is the 3rd meal (dinner) to instill in the child that this is dinner time (even at this early age) or is it to give them carbs/a good meal to see them through the night.

Any thoughts anyone?

x
« Last Edit: December 29, 2010, 10:43:02 am by EloysH »

Offline ~inbalance~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 272
Re: Dinnertime Solids for Silent Refluxer ?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2010, 12:45:45 pm »
Hi there.  What does your routine look like now?  I personally think it's ok if you can't fit it in.  The idea of 3 set meals is an adult thing, and like you said she will have a normal dinnertime eventually.  Right now I would just fit solids in when you can. :)
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012

Offline gormella

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2010, 13:16:26 pm »
Hi

Thanks for the advice, that was what I was thinking too, we have just transitioned from 3 to 2 naps recently so Im concentrating on getting the naps in place and bedtime at the right time to avoid OT.  She's a very sleepy baby and needs an earlier bedtime as she cant keep awake for longer in the late afternoon or gets OT.

She's eating really well from a wide range of food groups for the other two meals, so I think I'll reintroduce the evening solids in due course when things are a bit more settled.   

Current EASY is roughly as follows:

A 6.00 (reflux meds and nappy)
E 6.30 bottle 140ml ish
E 7.30 solids - cereal and fruit
S 8.30 - 9.30 or 10.00
A 10.00 (roughly depending on wake time) meds and nappy
E 10.30/10.45 bottle - 110mls or so
E 12/12.15 lunch solids protein and carbs
S 12.30 / 1.00pm - for 1-2 hours
A 2.30 nappy meds etc.
E 2.45 bottle (hardly any but she's usually a bit thirsty)
A 3.00 onwards - out and about in pram
E 5.20/5.40 bottle (depending on bedtime being either 5.30 if OT or 6.00pm normal)
S 5.30 or 6.00

Sleeps 11 to 12 hours with some EW's but only gets up at 6.00am.

Thanks for your advice!

x

Offline ~inbalance~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 272
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2010, 19:20:58 pm »
I actually think you could lengthen her A time a bit which might help you push naps and bedtime later enough to fit dinner in.  No rush though, if what you are doing is working then don't go messing with it too much!  But really at 9mos she should be able to handle 3+hrs A time, and she is only doing 2.5hrs right now.  So maybe your day might look like:
6am wake
6:30 bottle
7:30 solids
9-10:30 nap
10:30/11 bottle
12/12:30 solids
1:30-3/3:30 nap
3:30 bottle
4:30 solids
5:30/6 bottle
6:30 bed
Just something to keep in mind.  I suspect she will need an increase in A time soon anyway, and you might find that will help solve your solids dilemma.  But in the meantime don't stress about fitting it in yet if you can't.  Bottles are still more important anyway.  :)
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012

Offline gormella

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2010, 20:36:30 pm »
Hi

Thanks Martina, trying to move the A times now a bit. I like your sample EASY schedule timings for me and will try to adopt them over time.

Great advice always

X