Author Topic: I'm sick, but have to entertain toddler for next 3 days!  (Read 2623 times)

Offline Tweakster

• Tweakster extraordinaire
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 444
I'm sick, but have to entertain toddler for next 3 days!
« on: December 28, 2010, 22:41:31 pm »
Like really sick - my skin hurts.  DH is back to work tomorrow - he has to go back as skeleton staff this week.  I have to figure out how to look after a Spirited toddler when I can barely get out of bed...what do you guys do???
The tweaking never stops!

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
Re: I'm sick, but have to entertain toddler for next 3 days!
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2010, 22:55:37 pm »
Is there anyone in your family who could come and help you? A local teenager who could come round and play with Finn?
I was sick last week and having my mum to run around after Cadan really helped.
If not, will he watch TV or do any sitting down games like drawing or building bricks? Would he want to play "looking after mummy" so you can sit down and he can pretend to bring you drinks/food etc?
Can you take lots of flu meds to keep the illness at bay?
Hugs for you. I hope you get better soon.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2010, 00:38:16 am »
I was sick before Xmas, only one day, but was I ever glad Masyn is so self sufficient! (and willing to feed her sister cheerios all day!)  We watched movies all day, I gated them in the living room with me so that even if I dozed they were right there. Tell him it's a pajama day and just do whatever it takes to get by.
Heidi

Offline Tweakster

• Tweakster extraordinaire
  • Showing Appreciation 444
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2010, 02:26:40 am »
Well my mom came back out but he only wants me - *sigh*

He's not big on TV so films are out.  He asks for a show, you put it on, he walks away.  He wants to play.

However, he had a fever himself this morning - turns out his ear infection hasn't cleared so he gave me a slight break.  He was clingy but was ok to sit quiet most of the day.
The tweaking never stops!

Offline speechie

• Showing Appreciation 303
  • 7 years of spirited bliss!
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2010, 03:09:26 am »
Oh no- healing vibes to you both!!
Hugs.

Hmmm. When I'm sick, I try TV, books, legos, give him a bunch of usually off limits things to mess with- like a whole roll of scotch tape, wrapping paper, stickers, string, and lay on the floor watching him be 'busy'. I also bought him a bunch of cheap bandaids to use- he loves to 'play doctor' when I'm sick. Bandages- lay on the bed/floor and have him wrap you up.
Good luck...and get well!
Cathie
                Nick spirited angel, born August 2, 2007

Offline *Becky*

• Showing Appreciation 255
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2010, 07:14:08 am »
oh Wendy...sick with a spirited toddler - you can have hugs and vibes from me for a start. Being pregnant and having had a rough start I have had many days of not being on form and tbh it has been really tough. H is not bothered by TV really either, he will watch it for a bit but loses attention. I do try sitting him in his high chair and getting out play doh, stickers, crayons etc and that can keep him busy for maybe half an hour..

Sometimes we could lie down in bed together and read books but that totally depended on his mood - it worked for a couple of days but once he got used to the fact that essentially I was doing very little he would say 'noooo mummy, get up and play' over and over....lovely!

Anyway  - good luck, let me know if anything works. I see he is sick so maybe it has been calmer than you thought..

Hope you both feel better soon

bx

Henry James and Martha Rose - my spirited pair!

Offline koe2moe

• Showing Appreciation 250
  • Battle on the chess board
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2010, 10:46:51 am »
oh Wendy!!  ear infection still not clear :(  poor F poor you! 

Just try playdoh, tv, DVD's, books, stickers, crayons, boxes and stuff to put it and out of, big sheets to play tent with (but warning, you might need to be in and/or out of it), laundry basket to climb in and out of (warning: might cause meltdown if the basket flips and causes meltdown or injuries (pain which causes further meltdowns)), basket full of laundered socks to throw out of, stuffed animals to throw around, putting things into boxes (train F to pack away at the same time). 

I hope you feel better soon, too!!  xx