Author Topic: What did I do wrong?  (Read 1340 times)

Offline *Amy*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 19
  • Originally from Ireland - Living in Dubai
What did I do wrong?
« on: December 28, 2010, 15:37:23 pm »
DD has been EBF since birth - she is now 4 months old
She had been STTN from 10 weeks up until about a week ago and since then has been feeding once a night different time each night.
Yesterday I moved her to 3.5 hour EASY and was no problem, same with today.
Today and yesterday were identical EASY days
Wake and Eat 7am
Sleep 8.30am
Wake 9.15am
Eat 10.30am
Sleep 11am
Wake and eat 2pm
Sleep 3.45pm
Wake 4.30pm
Eat 5.30pm
Now here is where they differ - yesterday I got her down for a cat nap at 6.30pm and she was fed again at 7.30pm and in bed for 8pm
However tonight I just could not get her to take the cat nap so I put her in the bath at 6.30pm and tried to feed her, but she screamed and screamed and arched her back - I tried winding her, and then tried to rock her to sleep but nothing helped - I put her in her cot and she lost it! She then started trying to nuzzle so I tried to put her back on but she would suck for a few seconds and then scream - in the end I gave her 4 oz of formula which she wolfed down in about 4 mins flat and then smiled at me.
I have never had supply issues with either child - is it because I had only fed at5.30pm and she emptied both sides? she fed really well at this time......
My milk supply at night has come back due to the new NW. Last night I even leaked! hasn't happened since the new born days....don't want to give formula every night.....anyone have any insight??

Offline ~ Vik ~

• Showing Appreciation 224
Re: What did I do wrong?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2010, 19:23:35 pm »
She was probably OT because of the lack of catnap?  Dylan used to arch his back and fight me, screaming the house down, when he was OT at the bedtime feed.  Nightmare.  Only did it a few times, but made me crazy each time.  Bottles are much easier than breastfeeding (no latching required, instant gratification rather than waiting for a letdown, etc.) so that could be why she accepted the bottle so quickly and easily after refusing the breast.

Let us know how things go in the morning?
D ~ dairy, egg, peanut/nut and mustard allergies
Proud to have breastfed for over 24 months!

Offline ~ Vik ~

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2010, 20:03:49 pm »
Shes almost 4 months so maybe shes ready to move two a 4 hr easy. She very well may take more at each feeding is stretched for  4hrs.
Just want to caution that although this is possible, there's also a HUGE growth spurt at 4mo - it's so big that this is the time when moms may start to question their supply because babies want to feed so frequently, start up with more frequent nws, etc.  You may want to wait for the growth spurt to pass, and then try gradually spacing out the feedings to see if that helps :)  Even a 3.5h routine might work well, as ebf babies often need more frequent feeds.

Offline *Amy*

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2010, 03:01:05 am »
So She woke at 2am, fed her both sides, I was leaking quite a bit as she missed that 5th feed during the day. She then woke for the day at 6.15am I fed her, didn't take as much as she did during the night. Will continue today with the 3.5hour feeding and try and get her to go down for the cat nap again!
I think she went through the 4 month GS last week as feeding was very erratic for a few days, like every 2 hours sometimes 1.5 hours that is also when the NW started again!
Felt really sad last night that I gave her the formula. I wanted to get to 6 months by EBF......anyway I suppose it is better to make her happy.
Thanks for your replies

Offline *Amy*

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2010, 08:30:49 am »
Same thing just happened - I am now thinking she didn't want to feed she was just OT
Today has looked like this
6.15am wake and eat
sleep 7.30am
Wake 8.45am
Eat 9.45am
Sleep 10am
Wake 11am (couldn't extend)
Sleep - This is where it all went wrong - I was waiting till 12 as DS goes for a nap at this time and I needed to be able to APOP her to get her to nap again. But the hour was too long - she screamed and screamed - I thought she was hugnry as she kept trying to nuzzle into me but that just made her scream even louder, even I know I have milk at this time of the day!
In the end I swaddled her and held her tight and shushed her and she fell asleep!
Guess my little darling is particularly sensitive to OT!
Maybe the NW is making her OT during the day! Also she tried to go back asleep this morning after the feed at 6.15 but I kept her awake so as to start the day, maybe in hindsight I should have let her nap for a while!

Offline *Amy*

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2010, 03:32:34 am »
Well we are well an truly in the midst of the 4 month GS!
Bed last night at 6.30pm
woke and fed at 9.30pm 12.45am 4am and 6.30am she was STARVING each time!!
my poor boobs :)

Offline ~ Vik ~

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2010, 03:43:52 am »
(((hugs))) that 4mo growth spurt was the worst one for us.  Throw EASY out the window for a few days and just feed, feed, feed, and feed some more :-* :-*