Author Topic: throwing food/demanding different food  (Read 1116 times)

Offline alexgrant

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« on: December 31, 2010, 20:32:59 pm »
Hi

My DD is almost a year old. She generally eats well but during some meals she throws the food she doesn't want to eat and screams until she gets something else to eat. I have been providing her with different foods during a meal until she is happy. However, I don't want her to think that I will always do this and that she will have to learn to eat what is in front of her. At what point do I stop providing her with different foods at a meal instead of constantly trying to find something that she wants to eat?

Thanks,

Offline anna*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 900
  • My two
Re: throwing food/demanding different food
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2010, 20:35:25 pm »
I think, you give her something you suspect she will like/has eaten before for each meal, with something new too, and if she doesn't eat it that's OK!

Offline ~inbalance~

• Showing Appreciation 272
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2011, 02:00:39 am »
I think now is as good a time as any to try and nip that behaviour in the bud.  I like Anna's idea of offering one thing you know she will like and something new.  And that's it, if she doesn't want those then oh well, there's always the next meal.  ;)
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012

Offline alexgrant

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2011, 15:58:48 pm »
The past couple of meals, we tried eating while we were casually playing and she ate everything. There was no throwing or being fussy. This morning, we put her in her highchairs and she was so unhappy...crying, screaming. So, we took her out and she was happy and ate well. I would imagine that I shouldn't start this routine as I want her to learn to eat at the table. What do you suggest?

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 318
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2011, 16:04:30 pm »
What sort of highchair have you got? Assuming you have one with a tray attached, maybe she would prefer to sit at the table with you so a booster seat or a highchair without a tray that comes to the table might suit her better.

Laura

Offline alexgrant

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2011, 16:48:12 pm »
I will give that a try. Unfortunately, at this time, we haven't been sitting with her for our meals (we eat at different times) unless we are at a restaurant. We'll try and eat something at the same time to see if that helps.

Offline ~inbalance~

• Showing Appreciation 272
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2011, 17:25:22 pm »
Definitely try eating meals with her.  Even if it's not your mealtime, have a snack.  I think babies prefer the social aspect of eating over being fed, so you might find she enjoys eating more if she gets to eat with you.  :)
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012