Author Topic: Suggestion for chair for feeding 4month solids in  (Read 2047 times)

Offline skibunny

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Suggestion for chair for feeding 4month solids in
« on: January 01, 2011, 20:10:09 pm »
Hi,

My 4month old son has just started solids. He seemed ready and we are just giving him rice cereal to start off with. He loves it!

Though I was wondering if anyone could suggest a good chair to have him sitting in while I feed him the cereal?

He has a bouncy chair that I put him in, but he's very hyper and always bouncing the chair with his kicking feet.

He would be too young for a high chair, though he likes to push himself up into a sitting position a lot now. Even though he is not steady in the sitting position.

Im a first time mum so this is all very new to me!
« Last Edit: January 02, 2011, 10:21:14 am by skibunny »

Offline ~inbalance~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 272
Re: Suugestion for chair for feeding 4month solids in
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2011, 20:20:12 pm »
Hello.  :)  I'm just wondering why you have started solids so early?  The World Health Organization recommends waiting until a LO is 6mos.  I know a lot of moms do start earlier when their LOs show signs of readiness, but one of the big signs for being ready to start solids is a baby needs to be able to sit up unsupported in a highchair.  This is largely due to safety, it is just not safe for him to be eating in a reclined position.  I would suggest that if your LO can't yet sit up by himself that you wait just a bit longer to give him solids.  If you're looking for good recommendations for highchairs, you can check out this forum as well:  http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?board=7.0  HTH :)
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012

Offline kimmbba

• Showing Appreciation 6
    • Ethan
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2011, 20:43:23 pm »
We have a chair that straps to the dining chair, I think it's fischer price, that has three tilting positions.  One is back for an infant (for a bottle) then a middle position (I started my son in this position when he was eating solids), and then the full upright position.  It also transitions to a booster to push up to the table.

I know the reccomendation isn't to give solids before 6 months, but my dr. "allowed" us to start Ethan at about 4 months rice cereal as he was drinking massive amounts of milk and never seemed satisfied.  However, I agree that if your LO is unable to sit up it's dangerous.

Offline ~inbalance~

• Showing Appreciation 272
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2011, 20:49:44 pm »
We have a chair that straps to the dining chair, I think it's fischer price, that has three tilting positions.  One is back for an infant (for a bottle) then a middle position (I started my son in this position when he was eating solids), and then the full upright position.  It also transitions to a booster to push up to the table
This is the same one we have.  Fisher Price Space Saver I think.  I loved it with T because he could sit at the table with us even before he could sit upright.  F doesn't love it so much though and hasn't sat in it nearly as much as T did, although we still use it everyday with him.
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012

Offline essexlemon

• Showing Appreciation 10
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2011, 21:01:27 pm »
We had a special group run by one of the HV's when DS turned 5 months and she actually quizzed me on why I hadn't started him on solids yet (I was the only mum in the group who hadn't started).  I really felt I had to defend my decision to wait until the recommended age :(

That aside - a lot of the mums found the Bumbo chairs quite good for feeding.  You can get them with a little tray attachment so it's like a mini high chair.  They're quite popular for sitting young babies in and some of the bubs looked reasonably comfortable but I was never very keen as DS slumped in the one at the children's centre and there's no head support so quite tiring I should think when they are first sitting up.  They are quite expensive as well.
My husband is running 13.1 miles in the Great North Run in memory of my brother. Please can you help us raise funds for the Cardiomyopathy Association in his memory?
https://www.justgiving.com/RichardDahler/

Offline Texomamama

• Showing Appreciation 15
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2011, 03:23:36 am »
I started DD1 on cereal at 4 months as well.  Multiple pediatricians I know indicate 4 months is fine.  I just used her bouncer chair to feed her until she was sitting unsupported at about 6.5 months.  Tried the Bumbo, but she slumped down in it.  The Fisher Price product the PP's describe above sounds pretty cool though.  Think I may have to get one :)

Offline skibunny

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2011, 10:19:33 am »
Thanks for the suggestion of the Fisher Price Space Saver. Had a look on the internet and it looks like the right thing to get.

Only problem is where to get it! I live in Northern Ireland and cannot see where I could buy the chair in the United Kingdom.

Amazon.co.uk have it on their website, but its currently unavailable!

My health visitor suggested feeding my son things like potato as the same thing as kimmbba above - baby was drinking lots of milk but not seeming satisfied.

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 585
Re: Suggestion for chair for feeding 4month solids in
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2011, 11:48:19 am »
I'm in northern Ireland too!  I have the same chair as the girls are talking about. It's made by safety first and I got it in Samuel johnstons. Not sure where u are but there i's one in town or one at abbey centre!

HV in the uk can be so rubbish. I find they work alot more off their opinion than current advice and research. Mine told me to start solids at 5 months too and I actually brought up the WHO recommendations and she was a bit flustered about it all. Not used to people questioning her advice at all!

Offline firsttimemummy

• Showing Appreciation 62
  • gone to enjoy the little things in life (my boys)
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2011, 11:53:37 am »
We have a high chair that turns into a table and chair when he is bigger - DS could sit in the chair okay but would slump to one side so we used towels at either side to prop him up ...
L x Having a bw break from 1 Feb 2012 - if you want to get in touch please send me a pm.  I may not be here but you are all in my thoughts xxxx (probably be back some time)

still happily married, just not counting!

Offline skibunny

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2011, 20:00:23 pm »
Thanks Shiv52. I spend that much time buying online that I completely forget about the shops!

I live near Newcastle, but Im in Belfast all the time with family there. So I will check out Samuel Johnstons in High Street.

Health Visitors have given us all sorts of different information that it is so confusing!

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2011, 18:57:33 pm »
We would use a bumbo with one of their trays before we got a high chair.