Author Topic: What is the appropriate action to a suspected mild allergy?  (Read 1610 times)

Offline okinawamama

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 16
  • Stephanie
What is the appropriate action to a suspected mild allergy?
« on: December 28, 2010, 15:16:24 pm »
I have a quick ? for all you informed ladies.

I am trying to figure out if my son has an allergy of some sort. He's all of a sudden developed a welt like rash that comes and goes throughout the day. The first time it was a small spot the size of a dime, second time it was the seize of two quarters (both times on his face) and then this morning he woke up with a spot the size of a paper dollar on his arm, two dimes on his face and two half dollar spots on his legs.

He is no bothered at all by them and they fade within an hour or so of noticing them. He responded well to Benadryl last night. I've racked my brain and can't think of a thing that's changed in our diet or surroundings. 

So, I have a choice to either bring him into an urgent care and wait for 1.5+hrs, during flu season, or wait it out here at home. If I do go to urgent care are they going to tell me to do what I'm already doing ( keep benadryl on hand and keep a journal of food/contact)? If that's the case, I'd rather not expose him to the nasty waiting room germs, but my concern is that it seems to be getting progressively worse each time the welts come up.

What would you ladies do?
toddler A 3/16/2009
baby B 4/20/2011

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
Re: What is the appropriate action to a suspected mild allergy?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2010, 15:31:57 pm »
If it were me, I would just stay home and keep monitoring...especially if you can't pinpoint what it could be from and if it is only a few hives. Not really worth getting the flu for!  We get "mystery" hives alot, and as long I don't think anything else is affected (breathing, vomiting, diarrhea) we just use benadryl and keep an eye on her. 

Oh, and just a side note, could he be developing an allergy to something that is already in his diet, not something new?  We are currently getting reactions to oranges (I think!) which she has been eating since she was 9 months old!
Heidi

Offline We Three

• Showing Appreciation 418
  • The Sweetest Thing....
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2010, 15:36:58 pm »
I agree. I am 99.9% sure the docs would tell you that they don't know what is causing it, and to do just what you have done.

I know it can be sooooo stressful...I have anxiety/panic issues, and anything medical that involves my daughter is a MAJOR trigger. The first time she got a rash I was all over this site, plus calling my Mom, my sister, the doctor, the chiro...I was a mess.  But kids get rashes/hives sometimes, and chances are you will never know what it was/is.  Keep watching...it may go away and not happen again, or it may come and go over today....but the docs woiuld just give an antihistamine and tell you to watch it. 

I know it's scary...i KNOW...I have been there...but he is just fine...stupid hives is all.    :)

Offline okinawamama

• Showing Appreciation 16
  • Stephanie
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2010, 16:26:28 pm »
so even though it's getting worse, you don't think that it's going to progressively get to anaphalxis (can't even spell it...sorry)? Do allergies work that way? If they weren't getting worse each time they appeared I may be able to sit back a little more, but Im so worried that I'm going to wait one time too long and it's going to get really bad really fast.
toddler A 3/16/2009
baby B 4/20/2011

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2010, 17:06:36 pm »
But it's just hives right?  and he has no known allergens?  Not any breathing troubles, facial swelling etc?  If it has been awhile and not progressed to an anaphylactic reaction, I would keep on with the benadryl.  That's not to say that whatever he is reacting to would never cause an ana rxn, but usually that happens quite quickly.  Do you have a health line you can phone for help?  Perhaps instead of urgent care a trip to your regular Dr. to see what they think, and get a referral to an allergist?   Besides his diet, have you used any new bath products/lotions/laundry soap?  I get hives from certain fabric softeners/detergents.
Heidi

scarlettsmom

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2010, 16:27:53 pm »
Hi there,

I agree with the other ladies' advice.  I would not expose LO to the ER for this right now, especially if benadryl is helping.  As far as anaphalaxia, that's typically SO severe you see it immediately,,,,,,wheezing, swelling, respiratory distress, etc. As Heidi mentioned.  Not that you shouldn't be concerned and keep monitoring, but it would be pretty obvious.  I would make an appointment with your regular ped, keep a record, and take some pictures.

My older daughter, who has no food allergies (but is very allergic to penicillin) used to get hives like that periodically. It was so strange!  She would get them on her legs, arms, etc.  We could never pinpoint the culprit.  First time was when she was about 18 months, and we were at the beach......it was either sand flies, or Mosquitos.   Always went away and didn't seem to bother her.    But freaked us out a bit!

How is LO doing now?