Author Topic: Adding more feedings?  (Read 1239 times)

Offline newmama12

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 3
Adding more feedings?
« on: January 02, 2011, 03:01:56 am »
I just started ds on brown rice cereal today. And, of course, he loved it! ;D I only gave him one small feeding and it was mid morning. I cannot remember (from dd) when I should start adding in a lunch and a dinner? Do I wait a week or so till I start a veg? Do I wait till he's older (he's almost 5.5 months)? Oh, and how much should I feed? I did 1 tablespoon today.
~Cyndie
Mom to my Spirited DD (5) and Textbook DS (23 months) :)

Offline ~inbalance~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 272
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2011, 15:57:39 pm »
There are no rules really.  Since he is younger than 6mos in particular you probably want to wait at least 3 days before introducing new foods, but if you give him a few days and he seems fine then I think it's ok to move on to the next one, if you want.  Same with adding meals, it's really up to do.  You can wait a week, then add another meal and see how it goes.

As far as amounts go, again it doesn't really matter BUT you don't want his milk intake to drop, so keep that in mind when adding more foods and upping the amounts.  You don't want him to be filling up on solids and not drinking his milk.  Just keep an eye that he is still drinking adequate amounts of milk.  :)
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012

Offline LadyBugggz

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2011, 05:18:36 am »
This was my same question when we started solids! I started about the same time as you...with rice cereal. My LO didn't like it as much and was spitting it out...so we waited a few weeks to see if she was ready again. What we did was feed her a cereal a week...just for breakfast.

I asked a pediatric dietitian about what to do next and she said that when you introduce the veggies, it's supposed to be in addition to the cereals. She also said that it is up to me whether to have lunch or dinner, but the most important thing was that they were getting a change to "practice" eating the foods each day so that they will eventually learn to eat more and eat a variety. So...she said do once a day but do veggie then cereal...we did this for about two weeks....and then we started introducing a new veggie and then doing a dinner time meal. The hard part for me is finding the good time to give dinner because I read you weren't supposed to give them food 2 hrs before bedtime...so their tummies are settled.

But....I think that the   PP is right, you do what you feel is right for your LO, just make sure that they get enough milk first...my DH gave my LO solids BEFORE milk today and she only ate 2 oz!!! Good luck!