Author Topic: baby suddenly hates bath?!?!  (Read 10916 times)

Offline nursemeg01

• Meg
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 6
baby suddenly hates bath?!?!
« on: January 04, 2011, 00:53:45 am »
Not sure where to post this---hope this is an appropriate place...

My almost 15 month old used to love her bath. We actually had to make this an extended event because she would splash/play/etc until she was pruny! For the past 2 days however she's started crying and trying to climb out the minute I put her in the tub. At first I thought the water was too hot but I checked and it was fine (used my temp ducky). Tonight I made it cooler (just in case) and she still wanted nothing to do with it. She kept trying to climb out and started crying. The minute I take her out and cuddle her she's fine. I tried to ease her back in by splashing, playing with toys and really not forcing the issue but she wanted nothing to do with it. How do I fix this?

thanks!

Meg

Offline malenka

• Showing Appreciation 16
Re: baby suddenly hates bath?!?!
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2011, 01:57:14 am »
Following along to see if anyone has any advice. DS is 15.5 months and is at the same point. He's gone through phases with his baths, but now he hates it. In fact, he refuses to sit down - he just stands there, trying to get out. I'm assuming it's a phase and soon enough we'll be back to the crying when we take him out ;)
Meredith - Mommy to

Offline lchuynh

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 7
  • Catch me if you can!
    • all new adventures
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2011, 02:11:39 am »
Maybe it's a new year's thing because this is exactly the same situation we are in at the moment too! We used to have to do extended bathtime bc DS loved his baths so much, but for the last 4 days now his antics are exactly the same as your DD, Meg. I've been going through all the threads on here, and from what I've read it is a phase a lot of LO's go through. But it makes no sense to me considering how much he LOVED baths. It is also summertime here so we are outside a lot, and DS gets really dirty so he needs to have a bath :-\, so the once every other day or twice a week bath will not work for us (or a sponge down for that matter). Last night I put his empty bath in the middle of the lounge and put toys etc in it, but as soon as DS saw the bath he freaked out ???. Sorry I don't have anything useful to add, I'm seeking advice too and tagging along as well.
~Lien~
My personal blog about our adventures in the wilderness of parenthood - http://www.allnewadventures.com

Offline Courtney L

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
  • My Monsters
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2011, 16:11:25 pm »
I was just trying to figure out where to post on this! My 17 month old is doing the same thing. He used to LOVE tub time and would run upstairs and say ba, ba!! Go and throw all his toys in the tub and we used to have to beg him to be done! Now he hyperventilates and cries and cries and tries to climb out. He might calm down for a few seconds but it doesn't last long. It's horrible! If we even put a toy in the tub he freaks out!!!Anyone have any tips???
~Courtney~

Offline We Three

• Showing Appreciation 418
  • The Sweetest Thing....
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2011, 16:18:47 pm »
I think most LO's go thru this somewhere between age 1 and 2.....and we'll neber know why it happened, but it happened for us tOO!  There are a few things you could try....

Water in a big rubbermaid bin instead of the tub.   Standing (not sitting) in the tub might help them feel more in control.  Getting in there with your child...(this is what worked for us).  Bathing in kitchen sink (if there is room!).   Blowing bubbles, tub crayons, special cool things that are *only* used at bath time. My friend got one of those automatic bubble blower thingees, and the whole tub area was filled with bubbles, and her ds wanted to get in just to touch them.  It will pass....we just tried not to turn it into a battle...we felt that doing that would just make it last longer, kwim? So we were patient and calm...and did what we had to do for a couple of weeks, and then it was over as suddenly as it began. 

(((hugs)))  It is hard when they're scared.....but I promise this will pass!

Offline malenka

• Showing Appreciation 16
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2011, 00:52:24 am »
Interesting that you mention bath time and teething Jane! DS is teething his canines right now... I wonder if that's causing the issue
Meredith - Mommy to

Offline lchuynh

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 7
  • Catch me if you can!
    • all new adventures
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2011, 03:17:29 am »
My guy seems to be in a constant cycle of week on/week off teething state ::) but no new pearly whites have appeared. Last week was a particularly bad "teething" week when this bathing situation all started but he doesn't appear to be in any discomfort this week.

I've done the bath with no water, bathing in kitchen, bubble machine making lots of bubbles, getting in the bath with him, playing games around the bath....no luck here I'm afraid.

Oh I really hope he will enjoy his baths again - it just seems like such a shame and sad that an activity he loved so much has now turned into a source of fear and sorrow :(
~Lien~
My personal blog about our adventures in the wilderness of parenthood - http://www.allnewadventures.com

Offline Canadian_Mom

• Showing Appreciation 15
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2011, 06:33:30 am »
Don't know if this helps, but DS did this for only about 4-5 day about a month ago.  Though I am pretty sure in his case it was just because he was tired.  We do it as part of the bedtime routine and I think that he was trying to tell us that he was tired and just wanted to go to bed already!  His sleep needs had really gone up that week (maybe sleeping an extra 1-2hr/day).  We didn't force the issue and in the morning time I would do a little sponge bathing during the morning diaper change and he was fine with that.  Every night I would fill up the tub and he would tell me if he wanted to go in.  Then all of a sudden he was back to his normal bathtime loving self!!  (BTW, DH tried to get in the bath tub with him during that time and he just freaked right out!!)  Hope that helps and your LOs go back to enjoying baths soon!
-Nadia

Offline nursemeg01

• Meg
  • Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2011, 12:47:30 pm »
Thanks for all the advice! I actually talked to the pediatrician about it at her check up today and she said that it is a phase and a control thing. They know they can stand and get out and so that's what they want to do. They want to bathe or their 'own' terms. She suggested that I not make a big deal about it. So tonight I was very nonchalant, I started splashing around in the water and playing by the side of the tub. DD walked over and pointed. I asked her if she wanted to get in and then I picked her up to let her stand in the water. I didn't try to sit her down and I didn't began to bathe her or anything. After a little while she sat down and started playing with her toys and she let me bathe her (even shampoo her hair!). I may not be so lucky next time but this is was worked tonight...

good luck. I'll stay tuned! :)

Offline We Three

• Showing Appreciation 418
  • The Sweetest Thing....
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2011, 14:03:02 pm »
I think your approach was perfect!!!  Good for you, and good luck for next time! 

Offline lchuynh

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 7
  • Catch me if you can!
    • all new adventures
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2011, 03:22:54 am »
How's the bathing situation now Meg, Malenka, and Courtney?

Things are slowing coming right here. I've bathed him on my knees while I've sat on the edge of the bath - that helped and he eventually got in when he dropped his toys he had been holding and wanted to pick them up again. I'm still getting in with him, but it takes about 10 seconds of sitting on my knees and he wants to get down into the water with his toys. So I'm so glad we are seeing the tail end of this phase.
~Lien~