Author Topic: Support thread for moms of picky eaters - Part 2  (Read 75921 times)

Offline ~inbalance~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 272
Re: Support thread for moms of picky eaters - Part 2
« Reply #195 on: May 18, 2011, 16:10:48 pm »
F is a really bad food flinger too.  Everything gets flung.  Seriously I'm going to start letting him just eat off the floor.  :P

F seems to like rice and risotto, just tricky because he has to eat it with his hands.  But hey, whatever works!  ;)

Today for lunch T ate two pieces of cheese, half a croissant, and a few bites of homemade beef and vegetable soup.  F ate a piece of cheese, threw his croissant, but he did have a good amount of veg and pasta from the soup, and he had some oranges.  Not too bad. 

I'm going to try and make those chickpea snacks today!  :)
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012

Offline Mom to M&M

• Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
« Reply #196 on: May 18, 2011, 16:51:06 pm »
Good lunch for your boys Martina! Matthew had a good one too - most of a small grilled goat's cheese sandwich with a tiny bit of turkey ham added. And sucked on a baby carrot LOL.
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline oe

• Showing Appreciation 6
  • Pam
« Reply #197 on: May 18, 2011, 19:34:12 pm »
i think I missed something...what is this chickpea snack? Jake LOVES
Jacob, my little monkey - 03/19/2008
Owen, my gerber baby -  09/03/2010

Offline Sam-n-Max's Mommy

• Showing Appreciation 29
« Reply #198 on: May 18, 2011, 19:37:03 pm »
My son is 13 months old and will only take certain foods from a spoon - yogurt, fruit purees, and mac and cheese puree -- and not even these sometimes.  Therefore, I haven't been able to try giving him certain other foods because he won't even open his mouth for them. I'd like to be able to give him things like soup, pastina, etc at some point -- do I just have to wait until he starts feeding himself or is there some trick to getting him to open up for these new things.  I'm guessing no, but I always hold out hope. :)

Should I try putting things like spaghetti or rice on his tray and see if he'll eat it with his hands?

--Nicole
(formerly samsmommy3312010)

Offline oe

• Showing Appreciation 6
  • Pam
« Reply #199 on: May 18, 2011, 19:37:43 pm »
oops... i meant to type LOVES chickpeas... I just cook them. how do I make a snack? I think I missed some posts. Please fill me in. thanks.

Offline ~inbalance~

« Reply #200 on: May 18, 2011, 19:46:20 pm »
Karen posted this chickpea recipe earlier:  http://weelicious.com/2011/05/10/roasted-honey-cinnamon-chickpeas/  Haven't made them yet but plan on it!!

F WILL NOT let me put a spoon anywhere near his mouth for anything.  :P  So things that need a spoon will just have to wait until he can do it.  I have been giving him one to practice, and he seems keen on trying to scoop food but not so keen on putting it into his mouth.  ::)  Oh well, what can you do. 

I do my best letting him try to eat everything with his fingers, even runnier foods.  Though he is just a disaster and the mess is epic.  I could handle the mess if it meant he would eat some too, but I don't like having to clean up mess after he has refused everything!

You can try giving him 'dippers' for runnier foods, like fruit and veg sticks, or toast or breadsticks, things to dip in sauces and yogurt.
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010

Offline lilly_kitt

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #201 on: May 18, 2011, 19:46:34 pm »
Today we had an unexpected success with salmon fishcakes, he was completely filling his mouth with it !!!  ;D

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #202 on: May 18, 2011, 19:54:46 pm »
Awesome with the salmon fishcakes - how did you make/serve them?

Matthew will only "sometimes" let me feed him with a spoon IF it's soup, applesauce or yogurt (goat's milk yogurt) but only sometimes.

He happily scarfed down one of DD's fruit roll ups today (100% fruit) and loved it LOL
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline oe

• Showing Appreciation 6
  • Pam
« Reply #203 on: May 18, 2011, 20:46:51 pm »
Ok so on a whim... just made the chickpeas, they are currently roasting in the oven. I don't know if I will  make them again, you have to peel the skins off of each pea... that took... forever! will report how they turned out.

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #204 on: May 18, 2011, 20:50:33 pm »
Yes peeling the skin off takes time BUT is well worth it - both my kids love them and they are a great healthy snack! I find it helps to rub them well between layers of paper towel - loosens the skins and makes them easier to peel.

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #205 on: May 18, 2011, 22:12:25 pm »
Strangely good eating day here. Course that's cause dinner was penne pasta - his favorite thing by far

B: multigrain waffle (Trader Joe's) toasted with Earth Balance spread, fair amount Naked blue smoothie with avocado and blackstrap molasses blended in
L: most of a small grilled cheese sandwich with turkey ham added, sucked on a baby carrot, more smoothie
S: pistachio nuts, pouch of banana/beet/blueberry, 100% fruit roll-up, more smoothie
D: penne bolognese

Offline oe

• Showing Appreciation 6
  • Pam
« Reply #206 on: May 18, 2011, 22:27:20 pm »
so first of all, the roasted chickpeas made my house smell amazing!!! second... they were really good and Jake asked for more... I might try and roast them with the skin on next time and just see.... it was really tedious.

Offline *Liz*

• Showing Appreciation 394
  • Living beyond
« Reply #207 on: May 18, 2011, 22:36:29 pm »
DS ate his dinner, including some bananas and custard for desert  ;D. Megan flung hers  ::). This will be a recurring theme though!

She did eat some tiny pieces of chilli cashew nuts out of my snack bowl as well. Crazy girl  :o.

Megan just SO wants to be a big girl. She NEVER let's me feed her so the risotto was a real shock! You should see her with a carton of fruit smoothie - just sucking the straw like a grown up. But she squeezes and makes SUCH a mess, so now I save the almost empty ones that DS has finished with to save the mess.

Chick pea snack *might* be something J would eat as he does like to eat 'nuts like mummy'. I get these whole food snack pots and he does eat stuff out of them sometimes, like chili maize, nuts, dried mango. I even caught him eating wasabai peas a few days ago! Not the best snack - but great proof that so much of this is just control and nonsense!! It is mummies so he will eat it  ::) ::).

Offline oe

• Showing Appreciation 6
  • Pam
« Reply #208 on: May 18, 2011, 23:06:22 pm »
ok, I'm addicted! Both J and I have been snacking on them constantly... we can't put them down!!!!!

Offline ~inbalance~

« Reply #209 on: May 19, 2011, 00:17:48 am »
Good to know they are a hit!  I've got some in the oven right now.  But yes, peeling them was tedious.  :P  If they are popular I will have to make a bigger batch next time, despite not wanting to have to peel them again!

So we had a good dinner here!  F ate a lot of chicken, a green bean (yes only one and I am happy!), and a bit of rice.  T wasn't looking like he was going to eat a thing, instead he was trying to feed his dinner to his truck.  ::)  But then DH convinced him that in order for the truck to get energy to go, T had to eat the food to 'pass on' the fuel to the truck.  It worked!  So he had a pretty decent dinner as well.  :)
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010