Author Topic: Support thread for moms of picky eaters - Part 2  (Read 75672 times)

Offline Tweakster

• Tweakster extraordinaire
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 444
Re: Support thread for moms of picky eaters - Part 2
« Reply #390 on: June 24, 2011, 14:51:20 pm »
DH and I are both...selective...eaters.  I'll admit I'm not a really adventurous person, but he is far worse than me.  He did eat with his family but only the bare minimum to stop the nagging and really in the end they just knew he would fend for himself...enter PB and Marmite sandwiches.  For school lunches, he took sandwiches.  Dinner was sandwiches.  If he even felt one stab of hunger, sandwiches.  It's just how he is.  To this day even.  He got more adventurous in his 20's when colleagues at work coaxed him into trying new things like curry which led to him then trying more spicy food like chili.  But that was it. 

When I met him at 28, I started introducing him to other things, salads, fajitas, pasta dishes, meat on the grill, stuff like that.  He is actually a decent eater now.  But he does still have that phobia and will not try new things very easily.  He will in fact really get upset and angry if you try to coax him at all.  So the best thing for him, as with kids it seems, is exposure.  I cook something, put it on his plate and he'll eat it.  He might not like it very much (like sweet potatoes for example) but he'll now eat it to model for Finn.  Last week I got him to put spinach in his lunch wraps.  He loves it now! 
The tweaking never stops!

Offline ~Sara~

• Showing Appreciation 264
« Reply #391 on: June 24, 2011, 15:02:54 pm »
Hmmm...I'm not sure where Aaron gets his selectivity from.  As mentioned before, I would eat pretty much everything at his age as would DH...who is still a VERY adventurous eater.  Like, parts of the body I never knew could be eaten (head cheese or cow tongue anyone?).  Ever seen the show 'Bizarre Food with Andrew Zimmern?'  Yeah...that would be DH.  Blech! :P
*formerly tersaseda*

Offline Mom to M&M

• Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
« Reply #392 on: June 24, 2011, 15:17:26 pm »
LOL Sara! Interesting Wendy, thanks. It's just so hard since DH and I are such foodies (though he was rather picky until college too) and DD is a good eater too. He's SO limited... And now he's apparently getting sick again (though at least it's been three weeks healthy this time) so eating even less...

Nicole, I'm in Union County - Springfield. Guessing only about 45-60 minutes away! Do you know where the Short Hills Mall is? I'm about 7-10 minutes (closer to you) than that.
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline Sam-n-Max's Mommy

• Showing Appreciation 29
« Reply #393 on: June 24, 2011, 18:17:08 pm »
I do know where the Short Hills Mall is -- I used to work in Morris County (East Hanover).  I grew up in Bergen County (Paramus)!
--Nicole
(formerly samsmommy3312010)

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #394 on: June 24, 2011, 18:31:10 pm »
I have good friends in Morris County (Montville) and grew up in Bergen too (Wyckoff)! We should figure out a meet-up sometime!
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline Sam-n-Max's Mommy

• Showing Appreciation 29
« Reply #395 on: June 24, 2011, 21:07:34 pm »
Karen, yes that would be great!!! Let's talk about it more after 4th of July!

I made the peanut butter cookies and they are delicious! S likes them too! It is good that the recipe makes so many because even if he eats them, there are many for me. :)  They're so healthy that they're not realllllly considered cookies, right? I'll keep telling my waistline that. :)

Hope everyone is doing well and has a great weekend!
--Nicole
(formerly samsmommy3312010)

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #396 on: June 25, 2011, 00:50:56 am »
Definitely Nicole! And so glad you liked the peanut butter cookies! They really are quite healthy - for cookies anyway!

Starting tonight am trying 5 nights in a row of sleep talk for picky eaters, following the script someone gave me from the book. Figure it certainly can't hurt!

Offline Jiinx

• Showing Appreciation 148
« Reply #397 on: June 25, 2011, 01:00:59 am »
good luck, Karen. That sounds promising :) :) *hugs*
*Sarah*

Offline oe

• Showing Appreciation 6
  • Pam
« Reply #398 on: June 25, 2011, 01:11:16 am »
I also made the cookies today. I halved the recipe. Jake already ate 2 and I might have had a couple :)
DH said he likes the other ones better, the ones with 1C of shortening!
Jacob, my little monkey - 03/19/2008
Owen, my gerber baby -  09/03/2010

Offline ~inbalance~

• Showing Appreciation 272
« Reply #399 on: June 25, 2011, 01:31:23 am »
I didn't get around to making those cookies, but now am wishing I did! 

Karen, good luck with the sleep talk!  I am going to be trying it too, though not for eating.  Let me know how it goes!

We are away and staying at my dad's this weekend.  The boys ate well today.  It's so hard to eat balanced meals when travelling, but we're doing ok.  Lots of fruit to fall back onto!
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #400 on: June 25, 2011, 14:13:28 pm »
I will definitely let you know Martina. I did it last night. Of course then this morning I realized that we are going out tonight (babysitter right after DS goes to bed) so I won't be home to do it in time (supposed to be 1-2 hours after they fall asleep) so guess will really do 5 nights starting tomorrow night.

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #401 on: June 25, 2011, 15:29:29 pm »
You guys think I can make the breakfast cookies (that I've posted here before) using sunflower seed butter instead of the canola oil (or maybe instead of half of it)? I'd like to add more protein to them and DS won't even try the peanut butter cookies from the other day since they look different. from the breakfast cookies he likes and is used to...

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #402 on: June 29, 2011, 22:18:45 pm »
So I've been doing the sleep talk the past few days. And trying to be a bit stricter at dinner time in particular. I'm not yet even trying to get him to eat the same meal as the rest of us, just a reasonable alternative and sticking with that. So tonight I wasn't cooking dinner because DD is sick and DH and i want leftover chili. So I made them nuggets and applesauce and sweet potato fries. DS used to love all of that but starting dropping them all months ago. Though he did eat nuggets over the weekend. Tonight he screamed bloody murder at the dinner plate, yelling pasta!!! I calmly told him that was it and he could have that or the Plum Baby fruit/veg pouch that was out or a yogurt. He still cried and yelled and I just started folding their laundry and putting it away. While I was doing that he ate three small sweet potato fries and half his pouch. Then while I was putting dishes in the dishwasher he ate one nugget! That was it for the meal and it's not much but at least he ate it! Two nights ago was similar - he was screaming at the dinner (broccoli potato pancake and roasted potatoes - both he used to like) but after an hour or so he ended up eating one bite each of a few roasted potatoes. Tiny baby steps but I guess at least they are something!

Oddly enough lately he's been refusing the homemade veggie pizza that used to be his favorite. Today he ate: B - two multigrain waffles with earth balance spread, lots of fruit smoothie; L - breakfast cookie and more smoothie (refused pizza); S - pistachio nuts and more smoothie; D - one nuggets, three sweet potato fries and half a pouch of blueberry/pear/purple carrot

Offline ~inbalance~

• Showing Appreciation 272
« Reply #403 on: June 29, 2011, 23:50:58 pm »
That dinner sounds like a success in my books Karen!  Sounds like being a bit strict is helping.  :)

Still doing pretty good over here.  Well, at least they are eating!
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #404 on: June 30, 2011, 00:24:48 am »
Yes, actually I think it's a combination of being a little strict and also a little calm and not paying much attention that is helping. He threw a fit for a quite a bit, then calmed down, then slowly started eating, then actually ended up after that last post eating two more nuggets!

Glad your boys are eating!