Author Topic: Support thread for moms of picky eaters - Part 2  (Read 75934 times)

Offline ~inbalance~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 272
Re: Support thread for moms of picky eaters - Part 2
« Reply #405 on: June 30, 2011, 01:41:56 am »
I find that approach works well with T too.  We just don't make a big deal about it, and often he will go back and eat more after turning his nose up at the meal.  I think with him especially, he just needs time.  He is definitely more of a grazer. 
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012

Offline Sam-n-Max's Mommy

• Showing Appreciation 29
« Reply #406 on: June 30, 2011, 22:52:17 pm »
Glad your LOs are eating well, ladies!

Have a quick question -  did any of you ever encounter this? During dinner tonight, S ate most of a chicken tender and then started throwing it and the other food on his tray that he didn't want, so I took it away.  I then started feeding him his puree and he was ok for a few bites, but then was batting my hand away, but opening his mouth and crying.  I thought maybe he wanted to do it himself, but he didn't.  I really didn't know what to do, so I put the spoon in and when he got the food in his mouth he would stop crying for a second, swallow, and then scream again.  I can see holes where his bottom two canines are and think that the last molar is currently cutting, so I *think* that was the problem.  He has been fussy on and off the past few days, so I am pretty sure he is in pain, but just want to make sure that the thing while he was eating was probably teething related.  Anyone every experience that?  THanks!
--Nicole
(formerly samsmommy3312010)

Offline ~inbalance~

« Reply #407 on: June 30, 2011, 23:58:19 pm »
Nicole, sounds like the teeth are really bothering him.  Poor guy!
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010

Offline Mom to M&M

• Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
« Reply #408 on: July 01, 2011, 01:32:55 am »
Definitely sounds like teeth to me - we'd often have exactly the same experience when teething (or when matthew gets one of his frequent sore throats). Hope those teeth give him some relief soon!

Good day here. Matty had 6 homemade silver dollar pancakes (multigrain, goat's milk) for breakfast - truly tiny silver dollar sized with a tiny bit of EB spread and a drop of pure maple syrup on each. Plus an entire cup of his smoothie. Then at his mini camp (first day - two hours) he had animal crackers and water. Lunch was more smoothie and a few bites challah french toast. Snack was pistachio nuts and apple slices and dinner was a nice amount of pasta with mushed up meatballs (stuck onto the pasta) and most of a pouch of spinach/peas/pears. Course tomorrow night won't be fine. The rest of us are having stir fry - which he's never liked/eaten. Will have to think of an alternative for him and stick to that..
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline Sam-n-Max's Mommy

• Showing Appreciation 29
« Reply #409 on: July 01, 2011, 11:16:29 am »
Thanks, ladies. I feel so bad for him.

Karen - that sounds like an AWESOME day.  Hope the great eating continues today!!
--Nicole
(formerly samsmommy3312010)

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #410 on: July 01, 2011, 11:39:00 am »
I hope so too and it's starting out well with a multigrain waffle BUT still really not sure with dinner. Pretty sure I'm going to make chicken/cashew/veggie stir fry (over brown rice) for the rest of us but he's NEVER liked/eaten that. Have to think of what I can offer him that won't seem like he's "winning" but will be something he's likely to eat.
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #411 on: July 02, 2011, 23:22:36 pm »
So maybe the sleep talk is helping! After him trying the roasted potatoes and eating nuggets this week (both of which he used to eat but had dropped), he's back to eating apple slices regularly and tonight at dinner almost ate blueberries (he used to LOVE LOVE LOVE them but stopped eating them like 6 months ago). He kissed them and licked them and fed them to me but didn't quite feed them to himself. But still something!

Offline ~inbalance~

« Reply #412 on: July 02, 2011, 23:40:18 pm »
Great news Karen!  I hope it is working, and you see more improvement!
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #413 on: July 05, 2011, 00:02:35 am »
Seems to be in limited ways anyway. Last night at a friend' BBQ he ate 3/4 of a grilled hot dog. He's always refused them before!

Offline huntersmummyinoz

• Showing Appreciation 100
« Reply #414 on: July 05, 2011, 03:07:08 am »
sounds like great progress karen;D HUGE thankyou for the roasted chickpeas idea. i cant give ds2 honey or cinnamon so i just roasted them with a little spray oil and sprinkle of salt. both of my boys grab them by the handful and shovel them into their mouths.

K is eating better amounts at meals now. i think he has finally realised that i wont fix him something else so that's it. still not much luck on fruit and veg tho he did eat an apple slice yesterday and the day before and put a piece of carrot on his fork to try even tho he spat it out. and he is trying a couple of new foods over the last 2 weeks. small steps right.

Offline huntersmummyinoz

• Showing Appreciation 100
« Reply #415 on: July 05, 2011, 03:09:07 am »
karen, how do you make challah french toast? k loves eggy toast so am looking for more ideas. (eggy toast is just bread cut and soaked in egg long enuf to get a whole egg, plus a little chopped chives or parsley).

sammysmummy, you mentioned carrot french toast a while back. how do you make that?

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #416 on: July 05, 2011, 10:53:40 am »
I slice challah from our favorite kosher bakery into thick slices and soak them for a few seconds (each side) each a batter made from eggs, goat's milk (any sort of milk would work), vanilla, brown sugar (or honey or maple syrup instead) and pumpkin pie spice and then "fry" them in a griddle pan coated lightly with Earth Balance spread on low/med heat until golden brown on each side. I tend to use two eggs for three slices. You could also add carrot puree or sweet potato puree to the batter but I haven't tried that!

Glad they like the chickpeas!

Offline oe

• Showing Appreciation 6
  • Pam
« Reply #417 on: July 05, 2011, 13:03:43 pm »
I had to share. J ate asparagus yesturday. This was a big deal as he doesn't ever eat veggies at all except peas in the pod occassionally. I didn't even care that he didn't eat the pasta. I was just soooo happy he eat something green! Yeah!!!
Jacob, my little monkey - 03/19/2008
Owen, my gerber baby -  09/03/2010

Offline ~Sara~

• Showing Appreciation 264
« Reply #418 on: July 05, 2011, 13:41:19 pm »
Last night at a friend' BBQ he ate 3/4 of a grilled hot dog. He's always refused them before!
Same here!  These LOs are weird ::)

We've had a really topsy-turvy weekend with moving...so I haven't been keeping tracking of what/how A's been eating.  He did have about 1/3 of a hamburger yesterday and ate most of a ham & cheese sandwich on Sunday.  That's pretty good for us as far as "adventurous" goes.

Congrats on the asparagus, Pam!  That's a strong flavor :)
*formerly tersaseda*

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #419 on: July 05, 2011, 17:53:47 pm »
Yea was happy about the hot dog, though it's not the healthiest. I'm going to buy some organic/nitrate free ones and try to broil one tomorrow (instead of boiling it) for lunch and see what happens. At least a source of protein!

Go Aaron!

We had an OK weekend but some animal crackers made his tummy upset and he had a bad night. I'm positive it was the animal crackers too because it happened once before after this particular brand. They are a natural oatmeal based one. No dairy so I know it wasn't that. Harumph.

Seriously on the asparagus, that rocks!