Author Topic: Support thread for moms of picky eaters - Part 2  (Read 75666 times)

Offline Brock~Tahlia~Mummy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 19
Re: Support thread for moms of picky eaters - Part 2
« Reply #45 on: February 07, 2011, 22:25:19 pm »
Oh hugs sweetie xxxx what a hard situation  :-\

I looked into that multi vitamin and it doesn't increase appetite, it was labelled "when your child won't eat" sorry I was wrong... Bummer.
I know your probably not up for it but have you tried homeopathy... For both of you? Xxx
or if he's really eating nothing a visit to the dr? Get his belly checked or referal to a paed? I'm not sure how little your DS eats or how long it's been going on for? Hugs Hun xxx

Re food and MS... That's a tough one. I couldn't cook for a long time, DH made his own dinner for some time until I was ok with the smell.
I can only give you my DS menu if that helps?
Generally he'll refuse breakfast but wil eat in the car either a muesili bar (it took some time to find a few ones he likes) or vegemite sw.
He'll eat spinich and cheese pastry (which I buy from the local baker) because it's small it's relatively inexpensive, or melted cheese with either avocado or cream cheese spread with tiny diced tomato. I started with just melted cheese on toast then ever so slowly added avo (in tiny amounts) then tomato in tiny amounts. I also alternate with spoonfuls of flavoured yogurt and really mashed either strawberries or blue berries.
With his pm snack I offer dry rye crackers with shaved Colby cheese.
For dinner he basically eats the same thing everynight (if he eats ) I freeze lamb chops or cutlets- I cook one in a small pan with paprika, garlic and olive oil. I boil up either pasta spirals/shells or 2 min noodles with a tiny piece of brocoli. I drain then add cooking cream and mush in the broc so it's just tiny flecks - almost looks like herbs. I chop up the meat and mix it in all together. Sometimes it's hit or miss... But atleast he'll usually eat half. If he eats atleast half I offer custard with mashed banana (really mashed).
I found all these foods can be either frozen or eaten by the whole family or stored in the cupboard or fridge. Once I have all the ingedients it's not a huge effort to prepare - like u I was so over offering food that he would refuse. So I just decided to
stick to the same diet. I do offer new food but only what I've already cooked for us. He wil
eat a honey mustard chicken with mash carrot and sweet potato-which I cook for the family once a week. Some might say his diet is unblanced but it's the healthiest option right now...

If you're really concerned take him to the dr sweetie xxx I wouldn't eat much as a toddler and young child. I was a "silent"reflux baby and had my appendix removed when I was a young child.
Sorry you're so stressed xxx
*Alice*

Offline Rizzo

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #46 on: February 26, 2011, 12:28:07 pm »
Am joining on too. I have a fussy DS (13mo). I seem to be following your threads Alice...
I also read somewhere about 6 meals a day, so that is what I try to do. Am trying not to stress about how little he eats each meal, and try to get him to snack more during the day.

I do still BF him 1-2 times during the night - chicken or the egg though, as he doesnt eat much more on days he has slept through the night. I often wonder whether he is a bit hungry during the night due to eating less during the day.

For us, its porridge every morning. We were having weetbix too, but off that now. It seems he now hates the texture of scrambled egg too. He only eats a small amount.
Snack - usually yoghurt or cheese/crackers.
Lunch - at the moment, we have gone off avocado/cheese, and its peanut butter only.
We used to LOVE pears, but have completely gone off these, he will really only eat blueberries and strawberries (of course, the most expensive fruit at the shops).

Dinner - seems to be more than happy having pasta and veges, and i try to get some protein in there too. Used to love omelettes, but off them too.

Am just hoping the total food each day is enough...he hasnt dropped below the lowest weight percentile (yet), so guessing he must be putting on weight still..

Will be interested to follow this thread to see what everyone else does for their fussy kids.

Offline Brock~Tahlia~Mummy

• Showing Appreciation 19
« Reply #47 on: February 27, 2011, 03:53:34 am »
Hi Rizzo!
Ohhh stressful hey???!!!

B had a crappy day yesterday but it seems that he's been ok
today. Vegemite on toast and his milk with daddy for BReakfast, oat sultana and honey bar for snack and 2 mini quiches for lunch! A great start!
We're having lamb roast for dinner so we'll see how that
goes down?
I've learnt With B introducing a new food texture has to be right or he'll spit it out and not even eat the rest of a meal which he would normally like. He doesn't like watery textures ie watermealon or skin textures ie grapes or the skin of sausage but will eat sausage with no skin? 
So it's hard to offer new foods if I know he'll hate it and I know it'll put him off his meal. So I have to tread lightly. Even if he's hungry out of pure moodiness he'll ref to eat. So he'll be cranky from hunger!!! I thought if they were hungry they would eat? Ohhh IDK!!!
He hates fruit so I offer it at snack times always the same 'arghrrrr' noise followed by spitting it out!
I think he's a bit of the attitude ' I'll eat when Im ready' even if he's hungry. He's such a critter that way!
It's only food for goodness sakes!
Lol
I found that acting like it's no big deal if he says no or doesn't eat, offering new meals off my plate or offering new individual tastes at snack time and food on the run the nest way to*deal* with it. Plus the back up of a good quality multi Vitamin! I read somewhere the other day... 'the egg and the milk in a pancake is just as good as the milk and egg on it's own.' So true!!!
*Alice*

Offline Mom to M&M

• Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
« Reply #48 on: March 10, 2011, 20:07:29 pm »
Many of you have probably seen my monstrous recent thread on this board: HELP! Need ideas to get Toddler to eat Again.... The ladies have been SO wonderful on there and I'm hoping they join me here too! But since it's SO long and outdated (DS is now "eating" just super picky and limited still) I thought I'd start a new one.

For background, DS is 21 months. He was a good eater until 13 months, at which point he became more limited (but still decent). Then worse still around 15 months and much worse around 17-18 months (at which point he also had an ear infection and nasty virus). He is the type of guy that gets hungry pretty often but only eats small amounts (sort of like his momma) but it's complicated cause he's so limited! He will spoon feed himself yogurt or applesauce (or we take turns) and I can give him soup on a spoon (chicken noodle or french onion only) but he won't use a fork himself NOR allow me to feed him with one (though he used to do both till about 15 months). So, if he doesn't like the way it looks and feels to his hands it doesn't get eaten or even tried.

He currently eats: yogurt, applesauce, oatmeal, silver dollar pancakes (at diner or IHOP only, not at home), challah french toast (rarely), dry cereal (cheerios or Kashi heart to heart, sometimes Puffins), toasted whole wheat bagels with butter, grilled cheese (rarely), chicken noodle soup, french onion soup, chicken nuggets (baked white meat ones with wholemeal breading), sweet potato fries, alphabet fries, cereal cookies (homemade with crushed Total, ricotta cheese, etc), goldfish crackers, pizza (either takeout regular or homemade with chopped spinach and orange veggies blended into the sauce) and pasta (only penne noodles or pinwheels) - with cheese sauce, butter or bolognese.

ONCE he also ate a Larabar (which would be great but he's refused since). He tried PBJ once but didn't like it (though would really like to try that again, get that in rotation). And he still likes the Ella's kitchen or Plum Baby organic fruit or fruit/veg pouches - he often has at least one a day. For "juice" I blend up fruit with apple juice and water and he drinks that.

He USED to eat (but now refuses): strawberries, blueberries, grapes, apple slices, bananas (recently out - only as of 2-3 weeks ago), homemade granola bars, broccoli potato pancakes, scrambled eggs (with cheese and sometimes spinach), homemade meat patties (beef or turkey), meatballs and vegetable lasagna, as well as bites of chicken marsala and the like from my spoon.

Some other things
- He's not filling up too much on milk - only drinks about 12 ounces a day plus usually has one 4-ounce yogurt
- He's allergic to/intolerant of the gourd family (squash, melons, etc), as well as pineapple and coconut

Any ideas on how to move forward here? I've tried offering small amounts of new things or previously accepted things along with his favorites - but he will either ignore the new/previous thing, smush it or at most feel it and then drop it. Even if he skips a meal and is super hungry he won't try those things... TIA!
« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 14:04:10 pm by Canwi »
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline LisaK1

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #49 on: March 10, 2011, 20:28:29 pm »
Ok, marking my spot for my fussy little man.  Will be back to contribute and catch up.

We've had a really bad 2 days - yesterday, no food entered my LO since his lunch at midday (which was ok) and today he ate ok at nursery but then when I tried his readybrek b4 bed he took one mouthful and refluxed everything in his stomach back up (including all his tea).  Am distraught and just want to give up, walk through the door and go away.  So tired of this eating situation, had 12 months of undiagnosed intolerances causing reflux and now we are into picky eating territory - how do you all cope?

:'(
My boy is 4!

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #50 on: March 10, 2011, 23:33:15 pm »
((((HUG)))) Lisa. The reflux can be a BIG issue with eating problems - happened with my DD (who is now a fantabulous eater, even if painfully slow sometimes). Is he on reflux meds?

Wish I could have kept my thread open - as I LOVE all the ladies here but I'm not sure how many people check this thread. DS was SUPER hungry come dinner time but refused his chicken noodle soup and the challah french toast. Had most of a pouch of spinach/peas/pears and was still hungry. Finally gave him a toasted whole wheat cinnamon raisin bagel with butter at about 6:20 and he ate about MAYBE 1/4 of that, or less, and then drank his milk (of course). Expecting another hungry EW tomorrow.

As for how we cope, I'm NOT, at least not very well LOL. Thought I was through and done with this back with DD - and in many ways, DS is now harder (and I wasn't prepared since he started out eating so well). Sigh.
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline LisaK1

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #51 on: March 11, 2011, 10:42:48 am »
HI Karen!
Harry was on reflux meds but been off them since we discovered the dairy, soy and egg intolerances and he had been doing ok on the 'puke' front and occasionally gets into bother now - just unfortunate given he had had such a good eating day at nursery.  I think he was so tired after being awake since 12:30 (it was 6pm when he had the incident), that his sensitive gag reflex made the situation a whole lot worse than it might have been.

Anyway, we will cope and we do cope but we don't like it at times, some times are worse than others.....this phase WILL pass.  That is what I tell myself.

Right, I'm gonna try sandwiches at lunch today and push lunch a little later (although Ive read not to push the time between food too much as it will lead to reduced appetite over time). 

Fingers crossed....I'm heading into independant eating training to see if this helps.

Why dont you pm the ladies on the old thread and invite them over here....?? It took me a while to find this and I was getting confused about the lock down on the earlier thread but pesevered as you guys are my sanity checks!

x

My boy is 4!

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #52 on: March 13, 2011, 20:26:24 pm »
Hope things are going well for you Lisa! Not good here. Has had nothing all day but 1.5 pieces of bacon this morning and 4 ounces milk. Fun. Oh well - keep plugging along...

Offline LisaK1

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #53 on: March 14, 2011, 09:15:50 am »
Hi, we are hit and miss still here, but having more success with finger foods so sausage rolls (yuk) are featuring in the meal plan now but not complaining as full of fat and protein from meat.... I'm also finding the first spoonful is vehemently refused! Once I sneak it in or smear food on his lips to taste (a battle in itself) he will usually eat a decent amount. Hate the force feed of the inital spoon but only way right now. Training him up in spoon and fork use on fruits that he loves..... Sorry I font have any help for you Karen. How us it going? I had a complete emotional fit on my dp yesterday and he said I should go the docs as my resilience is zero and that isn't right......I'm wondering if pnd is returning for me. X
My boy is 4!

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #54 on: March 14, 2011, 10:07:35 am »
If you think PND is returning it certainly couldn't hurt to check in with the doctor. Maybe chat with the ladies over on that board?

Not going well here eating wise but am trying not to stress about it anymore. Might take him to a holistic allergist soon to see if some of his many food sensitivities might still be bothering him and causing any of these eating issues...

Offline oe

• Showing Appreciation 6
  • Pam
« Reply #55 on: March 14, 2011, 17:16:15 pm »
Hi all. I am new and joining in. Went to ds1 3 year dr. appt this morning. He has lost 2 lbs since his 2 year appt and now only weighs 25lbs. Dr. said to try and increase his fat (he said put butter on everything :) He also said to try a picky eaters book, so of course I thought of BW! :)
He is pretty picky, but generally just doesn't want to eat :(
Jacob, my little monkey - 03/19/2008
Owen, my gerber baby -  09/03/2010

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #56 on: March 14, 2011, 18:05:12 pm »
Welcome oe (have seen you on the menu planning thread too!). Your boy sounds pretty similar to mine (though mine not even 2 until June) - mine is rather picky and has a rather low appetite. One thing that was suggested to me was to have his iron levels checked - as often low iron can lead to decreased appetite.

What does your boy like to eat? Maybe we can think of ideas for you to get some food into him/weight on him.

Does he drink milk? You can always add a bit of half/half to his milk to get more fat in there, use cream on cereal instead of milk, etc.

((((HUGS)))) it's really hard.

Offline oe

• Showing Appreciation 6
  • Pam
« Reply #57 on: March 14, 2011, 18:32:13 pm »
thanks Karen -  he rarely drinks milk (I buy a 1L every 2 weeks.) He likes chocolate milk but doesn't even drink that that much. As for cereal, he likes it dry. Although he likes fruit loops (not the healthiest) but I think I am going to buy it so he will eat it with some whole milk at least. He is your typical kid, chicken fingers, fries, not a lot of veggies or fruit. He does like meat and occasionally pasta. He just doesn't want to eat. He of course likes junk food - chips, cookies, popcorn, but he only gets that for special occasions or potty training, although doesn't even finish that. The dr suggested smoothies. I am going to try that this week and put some fruit in it and yogurt with whole milk. I just hope I don't like it too much :)

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #58 on: March 14, 2011, 18:49:32 pm »
Does he like peanut butter? Of course you can put it on toast, but also in smoothies. I also make "breakfast cookies" for DD and DS with whole milk ricotta, egg, etc - VERY healthy and they quite like them - happy to post recipe.

My DS often prefers to drink too! I blend fresh fruit for him with apple juice and water..

Well basically no food today. Breakfast was an Ella's kitchen fruit pouch and some dry all natural peanut butter cereal (healthy at least), as well as some diluted fresh fruit smoothie. Lunch was a very small portion of oatmeal (with a bit of cinnamon and brown sugar). Snack was half of one of the aforementioned breakfast cookies and some more of the diluted fruit smoothie. Dinner was only 2/3 of a yogurt. Refused the homemade fish fingers, roasted potatoes, sweet potato fries (wouldn't try any of the above) and broccoli. For bedtime snack will offer challah french toast but am sure he'll refuse that too. Not sure how he has so much energy on no food!
« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 21:59:13 pm by Mom to M&M »

Offline oe

• Showing Appreciation 6
  • Pam
« Reply #59 on: March 14, 2011, 23:38:07 pm »
He does like PB but again, just doesn't eat much. I would love the recipe for the cookies. I bought some peidsure today. I know it is a ripoff, but I will try anything once. He did have some spaghetti for dinner (only cause I bribed him with leftover bday cake), which he actually didn't eat that much of. Thanks.