Author Topic: Support thread for moms of picky eaters - Part 2  (Read 76049 times)

Offline Brock~Tahlia~Mummy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 19
Re: Support thread for moms of picky eaters - Part 2
« Reply #60 on: March 15, 2011, 21:01:16 pm »
Hi girls xxx I haven't posted for a while hugs to all (I've hady own belly issues going on)...

B is doing  *ok* in the eating department, it could be sooo much better though! I'm convinced he's taken after his mummy and had underlying intolerances of some sort...

Lisa~ if it helps my DS only started eating Mashed styled food over the last 2 months? He's nearly 20mos! He also *had a strong gag refex and had horrible reflux.

Any one try probiotics? B is constantly going from constipated to loose poos. I feel the probiotics help.

We too live off cracker styled biscuits of all sorts, the crunchier the better! So I'm the queen of healthy crackers! I've spent many *hours scruitinizing the packets for ingrediants to try and get the healthiest options. Otherwise I just keep trying...

B will eat best in front of the tv!  ::) In the car and in the pram... I know bad habbits but I feel if he's eating that's the main thing.
Any one tried spinich, cheese rolls? They are covered in pastry, he gets most of his veg intake from them, they are puff pastry on the outside and he loves the crunchy outside.

Hugs to all xxx
*Alice*

Offline Mom to M&M

• Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
« Reply #61 on: March 15, 2011, 21:08:59 pm »
Alice - sorry to hear of your tummy troubles. Hope you're feeling better soon!

I too think DS has many food intolerances - some we know (pumpkin, squash, pineapple, coconut) and others we don't. I am very close to paying out of pocket for a holistic allergist that specializes in things like this. Two of my friends have now used her for their sons (though for different reasons) and rave about her.

Things are rather horrible. DS is barely eating at all. Then he is hungry and cries. I'm at a loss and it's taking over our lives as he cries much of the day then and it affects DD too. I will/do let DS eat in the car and stroller (though lately he doesn't want to) but not in front of the TV. I should try spinach/cheese rolls (spanikopita?) - I personally love them myself!

About to try dinner. Am assuming I'll be screamed at.

Hugs back at you all.
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline LisaK1

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #62 on: March 16, 2011, 16:14:57 pm »
Ok- we are having some success with finger foods - crumpets seem to be universally accepted in the morning at the moment, sausage rolls and brocolli for lunch and it is 'tea' that I'm struggling with finger food ideas - might go for sweet potato chips, brocolli and not sure what else (as a sausage roll at lunch is plenty of protein).......  I think my LO is definately just rejecting me feeding him from a spoon and he is only sure of a few finger foods and pretty much rejects anything new I might offer on his plate.....I guess I just have to keep exposing him to new things and one day he will get the message?

Saw my Health Visitor today for a weigh in and she looked horrified when I said I was still feeding Harry with a spoon and said she wasnt' suprised I was battling with him at meals because at his age (infact much earlier) they want to be indepedant eaters etc etc so I had to drop using the spoon entirely and let him feed himself.  I looked horrified as I admitted that he wouldn't eat as much this way but she assured me that he would get the hang of things pretty quickly. 

So, spoons are now only for Harry (altho I might spoon in the odd bit of food to start with as I'm sure he'll get frustrated until he picks up the skills himself)......... 

Anyone, got any views on this?

Thanks for your words of support Brocks Mummy!

Oh Karen, I do feel for you and I'd be seeking external help of some sort if I was you, so totally understand where you are coming from as it is plain horrid when they are so miserable because of lack of eating.  Big huge hugs. x
My boy is 4!

Offline Jiinx

• Showing Appreciation 148
« Reply #63 on: March 16, 2011, 18:41:15 pm »
*hugs* Karen..it must be so hard.
*Sarah*

« Reply #64 on: March 16, 2011, 21:33:29 pm »
Hugs Karen! Oh I'm not sure about that bit of advice? What personality type is DS? B wasn't soley self feeding at 16mos! Even now he is helped with all meals. I'm
not saying your HV is wrong but if you * feel uncomfortable don't do it! Ie B will eat a whole spinich and cheese roll if it's cut up into tiny pieces and in a paper bag where he can hold the bag with one hand and eat with the other... Go figure? So yes he *can self feed but will eat more if I sit with him and help feed him. B will self feed maybe 1/4-1/2 the meal and I help with the rest.
I do praise him with 'good eating baby' 'all by yourself! YAY!'
so to me if he couldn't self feed as a baby but now will try or self feed some of the meal that * is progress YKWIM?

I remember B went through a stage that he wouldn't accept food on a fork or spoon it had to be with my hands! Very messy when feeding a caserole! So again he's fine with spoons and forks now...

Unless I'm on the same level as a medical person I take their advice, think about it and may not use it. BW has been a god send for B! If I did everything I had been advised I would have a non eating LO, plus if I didn't push it he would have gone undiagnosed reflux, not to add the advice to CC!!! Plus ignoring tantrums that are obviously emotions out of control.

I'm gratful for Bs health nurse and GP and paed, they are good at their jobs but unfortunately B doesn't fit into their text book YKWIM?

Hugs sweetie xxx when he's 7 I'm sure he'll be eating on his own xx
*Alice*

Offline oe

• Showing Appreciation 6
  • Pam
« Reply #65 on: March 16, 2011, 22:15:20 pm »
Jake will be 3 on Saturday... he often asks for "help" , ie for me to feed him. I am sure it is party cause he seems me feed O, but if he's eating, I don't really care. I just want him to eat, something.
Jacob, my little monkey - 03/19/2008
Owen, my gerber baby -  09/03/2010

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #66 on: March 17, 2011, 00:24:46 am »
Actually, it's Lisa that had the self feeding issue. My LO does self feed. When he eats at all, that is. I only help with applesauce, yogurt and soup. But I think all kids are different on that front - my DD is 5.5 and still asks for help "stabbing bites" of certain things sometimes!

DS ate slightly more today - though still mostly refused. At least he didn't scream as much about it. Calling that holistic allergist tomorrow though to get the ball rolling on that front.
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline Enidsmama

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #67 on: March 17, 2011, 01:53:42 am »
Can I join in?

My DD is 11.5 months old and wreaks havoc on my emotional state most meals. 

She started off really well with great enthusiasm and what first seemed like a fairly healthy appetite.  Now though every meal is a bit of a battle. 

One meal she insists on self-feeding (the one which is yogurt or soup!!), then the next meal she wants to be hand-fed! 

Our latest thing is the huge buffet of food options, and she turning her nose up at all of them (if I'm lucky she'll at least take a taste of some of the offerings).  What gives?!  I'm heading back to work in just a few days and freaking out! 

Oh, and did I mention the hunger strikes at daycare?  Arg!

« Reply #68 on: March 17, 2011, 03:10:00 am »
Sorry I meant Lisa!!! Xxx
*Alice*

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #69 on: March 17, 2011, 16:35:23 pm »
First appointment I can get with the aforementioned doctor is April 5th. Sigh.

Offline LisaK1

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #70 on: March 17, 2011, 19:44:24 pm »
Karen, 5th April, bit of a way off but at least you have it booked in now which is a milestone to aim for.  I sincerely hope you get some useful output from this.

Alice and OE - thanks for sharing your views.  And you know what......my gut instinct is that the advice from the HV wasn't right for my little one.  His personality, not sure but he has been Textbook/Angel but I think I need to revisit the 'quiz' as he is so different from his baby months now that he is a toddler IYSWIM.  I'm going to put the bowl of food in front of him and give him a spoon and also have some finger food that I know he likes, and I'll spoon feed him too - see how that goes but I expect the head shaking to commence as soon as I come near him with the spoon!  Interestingly nursery also back your views as they told me today that many LOs aren't self feeding with utenstils for quite some time yet - what was that HVisitor on about?????  So glad for this forum, thank you ladies.

Enidsmamma - welcome.  I haven't much advice to give you but this is a great place to talk to others for support and ideas.  :-)
My boy is 4!

« Reply #71 on: March 17, 2011, 21:44:00 pm »
Endismama, hugs and welcome xxx
Sweetie she's still so young honey! So hopefully it's just a "stage thing"??
My only advice would be to *try your best to be positive about her eating. One mistake I made was I openly showed my frustration (unintentionally) in front of DS which I found to contribute to his negativity towards food. Also maybe offer a food you know she'll eat then offer her the new options, praise her even if she eats one mouthful and say something like, 'oh mummy can see you're not hungry'. I've heard offering too many options can be somewhat overwhelming for some LOs?
Also I believe they slow off their food intake around 11-13 mos- I belive it's due to the fact their growth really slows right down, then they perk up again after this stage. Is she a big baby? This could mean she'd eat even less!
Also... How much milk and fluids is she having? This could also contribute to the appetite drop. Constipation plays a roll too. Now this is quite *text book* advice...

Ok so I'm def no expert but after months of worry, seeking help from health professionals, BW boards and threads, reading numerous books and watching programs on the health channel I am slowly learning and ticking the boxes in how to *deal with my DS eating issues. Hugs Hun xxx she's still a baby sweetie!
Also** If she's a touchy or grumpy or inverted spirited type she may not like to eat in company! I know if we go out for dinner DS will rarely eat, so could that be the case at daycare?

Lisa I was going to add to my post but I forgot (sorry)... I was going to say that I offer B finger foods I know he'll eat and *help him with the rest if he hasn't finished it all up.He's probably the best at Breakfast time re self feeding. Prob because it's usually toast or healthy crackers and spread or sultana filled bran puffs. It's all food he'll eat and self feed so we*are getting there!

My huge concern is his lack of *real food like fruit and veg! If I offer vegies more than 3 times a week with dinner he starts to refuse it. Gosh this picky eating is a science!!!
I think because i eat loads of fruit and veg it appears as he eats hardly any * real YKWIM? It's hard when you see his little mates snacking on fruit and he's eating a cracker!!!
*Alice*

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #72 on: March 17, 2011, 21:58:05 pm »
No lunch whatsoever so DS wanted a whole yogurt and a "breakfast cookie" after his nap (totally healthy - I make them with crushed Total cereal, ricotta, etc). Course that was almost 3pm. Then he totally refused dinner (pasta with meat sauce). Had maybe half or less a pouch of spinach/peas/pears and that was it. Sigh.

Alice - I'd be thrilled with veggies at dinner 2-3 times a week!

« Reply #73 on: March 18, 2011, 02:57:11 am »
Oh bummer Karen! We also booked in to see a natropath who specializing in children and food intolerence. I belive he's also titled a 'nutritionist allergist'... Sigh...
I hope your vist sheds some light on your LOs pickyness.
I think because I eat a healthy diet - and have done for years, Bs looks so unhealthy... YKWIM?
It's not like he's allowed "junk" food at all. It's just seems so packaged, this kid lives off crackers! His latest love is corn cruscuit crackers. All they contain is corn/maize and small amount of salt. I add organic butter and vegemite and he'll eat um all up and ask for more. Yet I put some yummy fruit or yogurt he'll say no and be irritable for hours until I give in and offer a type of cracker. 

He's a little moster though! I tried for 1 week to only offer wholesome snacks inbetween main meals ie fruit/homous dip/carrot sticks etc and he didn't eat any of it. Just spat it out had a cry then held out until the next meal.
So If he is gluten or wheat or soy intolerant that will be hard because the food he does like contains all 3!!
*Alice*

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #74 on: March 18, 2011, 11:07:44 am »
When is your appointment Alice?

My DS used to LIVE off fruit. Blueberries, strawberries, grapes, bananas, cut up peaches or apples, didn't matter loved them all. Now won't touch any. He will sometimes do the fruit pouches and freeze dried fruit.

He did end up having oatmeal last night before bed.

Definitely make the breakfast cookies - here is the link - though I use half the amount of canola oil listed (and then use same amount unsweetened applesauce) and I bake them for more like 15 minutes, not 18-20. I need to make up a new batch today - both kiddos like them and at least it's a good source of vitamins (I use Total for the crushed cereal) and protein from the ricotta! http://www.cooksrecipes.com/articles/lapine_sneaky_chef_breakfast_cookies_1.html