Author Topic: Support thread for moms of picky eaters - Part 2  (Read 75696 times)

Offline LisaK1

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
Re: Support thread for moms of picky eaters - Part 2
« Reply #90 on: April 01, 2011, 12:10:48 pm »
Yes, Harry really struggles with straight dairy (is ice cream straight dairy?).....the signal to us is his nappy being loose and when it builds up, he then gets onto vomiting.  Silent reflux is so difficult to diagnose (this is when there is no vomit to tip you off).  We give Harry Oat milk with calogen added (extra fats), have done since he turned one and things got really, really bad by switching onto toddler milk.  It is a minefield tho!  Good luck and if you have any questions, please pm or something.
My boy is 4!

Offline Brock~Tahlia~Mummy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 19
« Reply #91 on: April 01, 2011, 22:43:16 pm »
Thanks Lisa, it is tough but I really think it's paying off. We had a good eating day yesterday at the table!!! 2 mini home made meat pies for lunch plus an oat bar and 6 apricot yogurt balls, he skipped his pm snack because he had a 3 hour nap. We had chicken and veg caserole and I made some Plain puff pastry minis and put the caserole in it and he ate nearly all of it. He ate half then said 'no' and pushed it away. I offered him water and he drank some and then pulled his plate back and continued to eat. I know this may sound OTT to some but I know you girls understand( I nearly cried!!) I was just so happy he was sitting gown and actually enjoying his food! Loads of chicken and veg!
I was always doing that with snacks!!! Only recently I stopped, I completely get you with being just so happy they are not only eating but enjoying it! Xx
Karen ~ about pot pie Is that when you use the pie mix and put it in a dish and cover  with pastry?
Milk!!! Oh once such a great thing! Lol well... I believe this is why B doest eat much breakfast. I want him to have it for a while longer as it goes towards his dairy intake (hoping he's not intolerant... Oops).
But what a great indicator that M may indeed need a dairy free/milk free diet! Fingers crossed this is what it is.

*Alice*

Offline Mom to M&M

• Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
« Reply #92 on: April 07, 2011, 10:40:02 am »
So we had the appointment on Tuesday and it went well but of course we won't have results from the blood or stool tests back for 2-3 weeks. She's suspecting there may be some level of dairy sensitivity, possibly wheat but not sure. And we'll know with the pumpkin/squash/coconut, etc as well. In the meantime I'm still giving him yogurt and cheese to eat (he doesn't do straight cheese but in pizza, grilled cheese, etc) but rice milk to drink (though he barely drinks any since took the bottle away) and to make oatmeal with.

Just wish could get results back sooner! In the meantime, eating is going OK. Still very picky but at least eating 1-2 meals a day and at the table for the most part.
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline LisaK1

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #93 on: April 07, 2011, 18:01:32 pm »
Hi, great news on the eating still going ok. Do you get any vomiting or runny stools? Also have you tried oat milk ad it tastes much nicer than rice milk and I find it better in cooking. Just another option if the rice milk isn't favoured. Plus u can get enriched with vitamins and minerals oat milk. Just something to think about if you haven't already. Keep us posted. How did the tests take place, what happened ifvyou don't mind me asking?
My boy is 4!

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #94 on: April 07, 2011, 18:55:55 pm »
No vomiting. Runny stools sometimes. Way too many mushy stools. Better without milk but used to sometimes be 3-4 times a day (now more like 2). I did buy oat milk as well and will try that. He just really doesn't seem to like any milk in a cup though and I'm not going back to bottles!

They drew three vials of blood and will be testing for limited IgE allergies (since he gets hives as well as tummy pains from pumpkin, squash, coconut and pineapple) and a full panel of IgG reactions (see more info here - http://www.greatplainslaboratory.com/home/eng/food_allergy_igg.asp), as well as checking for celiac and his levels of D, iron, etc. I also had to bring home a stool kit and did that/sent it out for analysis also.
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline Canwi

• Retired GM and Mod still paying it forward
  • Showing Appreciation 253
  • Me, in a picture
« Reply #95 on: April 09, 2011, 03:07:38 am »
Glad to hear you got some lab work taken, Karen to get some definitive answers one way or another about your DS.  The "dunno" factor has to be so hard for you with this whole issue. 
Also glad to see that he is taking in some nutrition more regularly than he had been.  That must be a bit of a relief for you. :D

8) I BFd a combined total of 4y, 1m & 1d

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #96 on: April 09, 2011, 03:19:58 am »
Thanks Deb

Offline Canwi

• Me, in a picture
« Reply #97 on: April 09, 2011, 03:32:39 am »
:-*  Just wish it would keep getting better for all you Mamas. 

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #98 on: April 11, 2011, 19:01:50 pm »
Me too Deb. Waiting for results here - should likely know about celiac or IgE allergies by end of this week but not with food intolerances for another 1.5-2 weeks. Meanwhile have been trying to work in some gluten free items just in case but he won't even try them. And he's looking so skinny...

Spent a good part of his nap cutting sweet potatoes into 1/3-1/2 inch slices and then using cookie cutters to shape them into letters. Later will coat with olive oil and kosher salt and then dust with cornmeal and bake - trying to recreate the Ian's alphatots which he loves but using sweet potatoes for extra nutrition...

Offline Brock~Tahlia~Mummy

• Showing Appreciation 19
« Reply #99 on: April 12, 2011, 20:47:05 pm »
Oh Karen! Hugs to you and M xxx what a brave little man having bloods taken. Like PP said - it's good you're going to get some answers soon.
I really feel for you going through this. Fingers crossed for you both. I'm sorry I have no advice to give :(

That sweet potato sounds great BTW...

Our eating is so up and down! Re appetite or type of food! But he is eating so I'm happy about that or "relieved" is more the word.
Our HUGE one is he's finally eating fruit! Apple! It has to be cut and sliced very thin and peeled.

*Alice*

Offline oe

• Showing Appreciation 6
  • Pam
« Reply #100 on: April 13, 2011, 01:14:58 am »
Haven't been around in awhile - computer issues. will check everyone's posts later, but as for us, I hate to even admit it, but I found something that Jake will eat, so I have been buying them... yogurt tubes, such a child's marketing gimic, but he will eat it, so I buy it. I am still having a really hard time getting him to drink milk. I am lucky if he drinks a 1L every 2 weeks!! Any thoughts.
Jacob, my little monkey - 03/19/2008
Owen, my gerber baby -  09/03/2010

Offline Canwi

• Me, in a picture
« Reply #101 on: April 13, 2011, 02:52:15 am »
Dont' apologise, oe.  I buy those too.  They are just the same yogurt as in the containers (I still read labels - throwback to my days as a MPI Mama! ::) ). 
I'm pretty sure that if he is getting a decent amount of dairy products, or other products high in calcium and fats that the lack of milk is not a big deal.  But that's just my opinion.

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #102 on: April 13, 2011, 10:24:25 am »
I agree with Deb. My daughter likes those squeezable yogurts and there's nothing wrong with them. DS still prefer yogurt in a "regular" container. I'm trying to transition him to Greek yogurt, actually, as there is more protein in it. But he only wants yogurt in the yo-baby container so I am currently doing half yo-baby and half Greek yogurt mixed together in the yo-baby/yo-toddler container. Also agree on other sources of calcium being fine. My DS has stopped drinking milk for the most part (other than an occasional ounce or two here or there but that's rare even) since we took his bottle away 2 weeks ago...

Alice- he wouldn't even touch, much less try, the sweet potato letters!

Offline oe

• Showing Appreciation 6
  • Pam
« Reply #103 on: April 14, 2011, 00:42:27 am »
thanks guys. He doesn't eat a ton of dairy, but I do give him a mutlivitamin. He eats cheese, occassionally and now the yogurt tubes.
Jacob, my little monkey - 03/19/2008
Owen, my gerber baby -  09/03/2010

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #104 on: April 15, 2011, 23:37:31 pm »
Found out today that DS does have quite low iron (mildly anemic) - upping iron in food but that's hard since he's picky so also starting this supplement when it comes in next week: http://www.kirkmanlabs.com/ViewProductDetails@Product_ID@122@Product_Group_ID@1.aspx

Apparently low appetite/picky eating is also sometimes a symptom of low iron so will be interested to see if he improves at all when his iron levels go up.