Author Topic: Support thread for moms of picky eaters - Part 2  (Read 76199 times)

Offline ~Sara~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 264
Re: Support thread for moms of picky eaters - Part 2
« Reply #225 on: May 22, 2011, 01:48:29 am »
samsmommy3312010, your LO is 13/14 months old, right (I'm trying to remember)? :)  If so, I would say to keep offering the foods that you are.  Most of us currently chatting on this thread have LOs who are 2+ (though Martina has Finn).  There's a lot of time in between, so I hope you're not stressing from our stress, iyswim :-*  Again, just keep offering him bites of whatever you're eating.

Speaking personally, yes, I do make things that Aaron will eat; but that's only because it's taken me a while to figure all of that out and get it pretty consistent (and to expand his palate so I'm not eating the same thing every night, lol!).  When he was younger, it was still a lot of trial and error for us, too.  *hugs*  What I did then and what I do even now as a back-up, is to make sure that I had one thing he would eat in addition to whatever new food we wanted him to just *try*; it was usually a side dish or some fruit.  Like Sarah said, if he won't eat the new food, at least whatever he's eating is nutritious and will get him through until the next meal ::)

Oh, And if your little guy is older than I'm remembering then my *hugs* anyways!

I posted an excerpt from TBWSAYP a page or so ago that talked about fad foods...Tracy said it's normal for some kids to do that, and that they usually grow past it.

Some good news for us: Aaron tried a pickle tonight!  He sucked on it for a little bit and then put it down.  But I was just so happy that he tried something new.  I care less about him being picky if he at least TRIES the stuff instead of being instantly met with a "Nope!"

Hope y'all are doing well!
*formerly tersaseda*

Offline Jiinx

• Showing Appreciation 148
« Reply #226 on: May 22, 2011, 02:12:13 am »
that's great, sara! mm love dill pickles..garlic flavour is probably my favourite!

Better eating day! A lot of carbs. Annie's is a company I discovered when I went to Hawaii, and I found out they make a bunny mac and cheese! Made that for Z today and she had a good serving. Also made her peanut butter-banana with carrot puree muffins which she had a couple of!! ;D ;D Even if she had one out of the whole batch, it would still make making it worthwhile ::) :P :)
*Sarah*

Offline LisaK1

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #227 on: May 22, 2011, 09:58:15 am »
Hi ladies, i'm jumping on board again as my LO is back to being picky!  hoping it is just teeth but never sure....gosh,why does this phase have to occur, tis a real pain........glum....
My boy is 4!

Offline Sam-n-Max's Mommy

• Showing Appreciation 29
« Reply #228 on: May 22, 2011, 11:35:04 am »
Thanks, ladies.  I tend to stress myself out quite a bit when it comes to Sam's eating.  I had gotten better and had let go a little bit, but started getting crazy about it again.  My need to get him to try more foods is coinciding with him being very difficult with eating (and in general) because of his teeth and I know this is the time when it's most important not to get stressed about it, so I'm going to try. :)

Sara - great memory - yes he's 13.5 months! :)  I am going to add that to my signature.  I didn't realize that everyone's LOs were mostly older than Sam so that makes me feel better (not feel better that you ladies are dealing with picky eaters, but better that maybe there is still some hope for expanding his palette as the years go on :))

Sara and Sarah - glad you both saw some better eating yesterday! Sarah, I love Annies myself.

--Nicole
(formerly samsmommy3312010)

Offline Jiinx

« Reply #229 on: May 22, 2011, 15:42:11 pm »
Nicole, it's hard..my daughter's two and we've been battling these food fussiness for nearly a year. ::) I'm sure it gets better as they get older, more active, speak more etc..

Welcome Lisa :)
*Sarah*

Offline ~inbalance~

• Showing Appreciation 272
« Reply #230 on: May 22, 2011, 20:18:53 pm »
Hi ladies!  We are away at the moment so haven't been keeping up.  :P

The boys are doing pretty good while we've been out, though it's so hard to keep up with healthy food while out and about so they have been getting more junk than usual.   ::)  But they're eating and having fun, so that's good.

Will try to get properly caught up when I get home.  :)
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012

Offline Mom to M&M

• Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
« Reply #231 on: May 23, 2011, 00:40:19 am »
Hi everyone!

Nicole, like Sarah's LO, my DS is almost two (two weeks from today!) and we've been having food issues since 13-15 months. DS almost never eats what we are having, though I offer it to him. Nights we are having pasta WITH our meal he eats that and maybe something with it like a fruit/veg puree pouch.

Lisa - welcome back, though sorry you are having troubles again.

Sara - awesome on the pickle! I've heard that with fad foods too. And Matthew's latest food food is pasta. Penne pasta in particular. With red sauce (can be marinara or bolognese or whatever). He'd live on that and waffles if he could.

Martina - glad the boys are eating and having fun. Have a great trip!

Sarah, Annie's is a really great company. I haven't made those PB/banana muffins in ages (I had used cauliflower puree when I did). Maybe I'll try those again this week though with sun-nut butter since DS is moderately intolerant to peanut butter.

As for us, we are going to try to cut out more trace amounts of dairy too. DS tested quite highly intolerant of cow's milk (whey in particular) and while our practitioner thought he'd likely be OK with stuff like waffles made with some milk in the whole batch, I think he's still reacting to it. He eats that stuff a LOT (like a waffle 4-5 mornings a week) and I think it just adds up to too much - he's still having more digestive issues, frequent colds/congestion and bad sleep than he should be.

OK, I'm exhausted so I'm off to clean the kitchen and lay down. I really "should be" organizing DD's 8,000 papers/artwork, etc and trying to organize family photos but I'm too tired!
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline Jiinx

« Reply #232 on: May 24, 2011, 22:02:32 pm »
how are you  guys doing? Karen, any luck with cutting out milk traces?

I made broccoli nuggets and lentil soup today..she had one nugget and a few small sips of lentil soup ::) I really think they tasted good. I'm not sure their pickiness is based on taste? Hmm..

I find with dinner, she doesn't like to eat from her highchair and likes to eat on my chair beside the window looking out. Anyone finding they're outgrowing their high chair?
*Sarah*

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #233 on: May 24, 2011, 22:15:09 pm »
Hi Sarah! Yes, I think it IS helping. Today was the second full day of absolutely no cow's milk products/ingredients (goat's milk is OK). He's still way picky but less congested, slept better last night and BMs are smaller. And mood better. Hoping it keeps up!

Matthew started refusing high chair or booster about a month ago. I officially gave up about two weeks ago and moved them downstairs. At home he just sits at the table in a regular chair. We might get a kids table as well. Sometimes in a restaurant I can get him to use the high chair still.

As for the pickiness, I definitely think taste is only a small factor. It's as much look, feel, smell and a sense of control.
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline ~inbalance~

« Reply #234 on: May 25, 2011, 01:11:31 am »
T was out of his booster before he was two.  He has always been pretty good about sitting on a chair.

F is back to being super picky.  ::)  It's not about taste with him, he just doesn't want to eat.  I think the molars are really bothering him so that must be it.  But the throwing is driving me crazy!  He literally hurls everything, and will look straight at me and throw something!  It's so frustrating.

Things are hit and miss with both of them, but at least T ate a pretty decent dinner tonight.
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010

Offline ~Sara~

• Showing Appreciation 264
« Reply #235 on: May 25, 2011, 01:50:54 am »
As for the pickiness, I definitely think taste is only a small factor. It's as much look, feel, smell and a sense of control.
I'm thinking this is the case for us, too.  I remember my own tastes changing as I got older, so I try to be respectful when Aaron says he doesn't like something.  But I just wish he would try the stuff first ::)

I find with dinner, she doesn't like to eat from her highchair and likes to eat on my chair beside the window looking out. Anyone finding they're outgrowing their high chair?
I was thinking about this just today, too!!  For us, him sitting in his highchair just makes it easier to feed him.  I think he'd really like a booster chair soon, though.

Today was a hit-miss-hit day!  He had a good breakfast, but then a bad lunch (shots at the doctor's, then fell and scraped his knee outside), but then ate a fabulous dinner!  I don't know if we're turning a page here, but he ate raw carrots with ranch dressing (just a little) and SWALLOWED them!!!!  I was so proud of him :)
*formerly tersaseda*

Offline Jiinx

« Reply #236 on: May 31, 2011, 16:16:04 pm »
aaargh! my daughter!!!!!

:( i feel like I'm eating more to compensate for her NOT eating.
*Sarah*

Offline ~inbalance~

« Reply #237 on: May 31, 2011, 16:40:15 pm »
Ahhh Sarah, hugs!!

Mine aren't faring too much better either.  :P  It comes and goes, but really even when they do eat it's not like it's fantastic.  ::)
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #238 on: May 31, 2011, 16:40:47 pm »
HUGS Sarah. I totally understand.

Not doing well here either. Plus DS is sick (again) so that makes eating even worse.

Offline Sam-n-Max's Mommy

• Showing Appreciation 29
« Reply #239 on: May 31, 2011, 16:58:25 pm »
Hugs to everyone! Same boat over here.  We have had a few good meals here and there (mainly breakfast), but otherwise, the second something goes on his tray, he throws it off.  And he looks at me straight in the eye which makes it worse!! LOL

Karen - hope DS feels better soon! :(
--Nicole
(formerly samsmommy3312010)