Author Topic: Support thread for moms of picky eaters - Part 2  (Read 75680 times)

Offline Mom to M&M

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
Re: Support thread for moms of picky eaters - Part 2
« Reply #285 on: June 06, 2011, 22:22:29 pm »
Yup apparently not enough zinc can make one not only have less appetite but have a reduced sense of taste and smell.

At least what the boys ate was healthy I guess? We had a decent day here. Multigrain (dairy free) waffle for breakfast with EB spread, half a blueberry muffin Larabar for snack, no lunch, 4 ounces or so of goat's milk yogurt for snack and then dinner he had a good amount of chicken noodle soup (with carrots and celery) and half a pouch of spinach/peas/pears (after refusing the fish and homemade fries the rest of us were having along with salad).
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline ~inbalance~

• Showing Appreciation 272
« Reply #286 on: June 07, 2011, 00:49:55 am »
That's the thing though, I feel like I'm slipping more and more into easier and less healthy foods because I'm getting discouraged by how little they eat.  :(  I'm literally running out of ideas and often I feel like my options are they starve, or I offer something sweet and unhealthy just to get something in them.   :'(

T is frustrating because he USED to eat well.  Always ate something if not huge quantities, liked a variety of things, and was willing to try new things.

F is frustrating because he just looks at it and throws it.  I'm getting really upset by it now.  :(

Today was awful.  T ate NOTHING for dinner.  After his bath DH offered him some cereal bar (this is what I mean by resorting to less healthy things to fill him up) and some yogurt.  F had maybe two bites of dinner before tossing the rest overboard.   >:(

And the other thing is, these children are big poopers.  I swear they poop out more than they eat in a day.  Surely that's not healthy?
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012

Offline Jiinx

• Showing Appreciation 148
« Reply #287 on: June 07, 2011, 00:53:08 am »
that's not so bad...sounds delicious and wholesome and good for you!

Z had an okay day. Has a decent, nothing spectacular breakfast and lunch..usually smaller dinners here!

Oh martina. Please don't be so hard on yourself. Even whatever you think is "unhealthy" is by far healthy!!!! You're trying and you're doing amazing. It's hard making things for them only for them to turn their noses at it. So much easier to grab something from the freezer. Sometimes when I have those moments I bake some frozen broccoli nuggets or salmon cakes. OR you could always freeze ones that you make and take them out? Or you could make some sweeter things like muffins..or cookies...

:( I feel for you.
*Sarah*

Offline Sam-n-Max's Mommy

• Showing Appreciation 29
« Reply #288 on: June 07, 2011, 01:24:46 am »
Oh, Martina.  I can totally sympathize with you.  It sounds like F and S are long lost brothers.  In fact, DH is currently using the dustbuster to vacuum all of the crumbs on the floor from all of the thrown food from earlier in the evening.  The rapid-fire throwing while staring me down is what really gets me.  Why! When I go to take his tray away, he practically fights me for it and goes to grab any last piece he can get.  If he clears his tray before I take it away, he will pick up miniscule crumbs and throw them.  Argh!!!

We work so hard to present our LOs with balanced meals...we wrack our brains to find foods they may like...sheesh.  A little appreciation, please! :)  Plus, I really love to cook and I have a picky eater in DH.  Now I have two of them!! (I can tolerate DS's pickiness a little more though since he's a baby ;) ). 
--Nicole
(formerly samsmommy3312010)

Offline ~inbalance~

« Reply #289 on: June 07, 2011, 01:26:48 am »
Yes, and my favorite is when he just goes nuts and uses his whole hand or arm to send the entire contents of his tray flying in every which direction.  He does this with a madman laugh and look in his eyes.  ::)
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #290 on: June 07, 2011, 03:19:46 am »
Hugs Martina. I totally get it.

As for the poop - I don't think it's normal. DS used to be like that before we discovered his dairy intolerance and eliminated all cow's milk (even small amounts in pancakes, etc). He went down from massive mushy BMs 3+ times a day to now twice a day (usually) and smaller and better formed amounts (sorry TMI). Also, when we tested his stool (before) he was VERY low in good bacteria (namely lactobacillus) and higher than he should have been in bad bacteria (though nothing pathological). Though he's still FAR from a good eater and way picky, it's better than it was before we starting treating him (both by eliminating dairy and supplementing with Culturelle, iron and more). Then yesterday at the diner he ate "regular" silver dollar pancakes and was back to pooping like 5 times!

More hugs...
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline Jiinx

• Showing Appreciation 148
« Reply #291 on: June 07, 2011, 11:23:02 am »
I don't think they would do testing like that here in Canada for us...on poop, I mean.
*Sarah*

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #292 on: June 07, 2011, 12:03:51 pm »
My insurance didn't cover it but it was well worth it to get to the root of some of the problems. It was a test our holistic practitioner ran through Genova Diagnostics.

My boy ate four homemade silver dollar pancakes this morning. Made with goat's milk in batter and half whole wheat pastry flour, half AP. Yay!

Offline ~inbalance~

« Reply #293 on: June 07, 2011, 12:18:26 pm »
Interesting.  Both of them have been having these kinds of poops for the past few days, usually they are normal.....
They have both always been frequent and efficient poopers though.  Just very loose the last few days.

F is still BF but he gets about a cup of goat's milk a day, plus a bit of yogurt in his smoothie and some cheese.  T has been drinking cow's milk with no problems since he was 1.

I put probiotics in their smoothies every day.

So I don't think it is milk related, but I'll keep it in mind.  Even just two days ago F's poops were still well formed.  Something to keep an eye on!
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #294 on: June 07, 2011, 12:22:09 pm »
Which probiotic, Martina? My ND is a HUGE fan of Culturelle as it's one of the few to survive in the digestive tract and actually be most beneficial (especially for digestive issues). Floraster is her second fave.

Offline ~inbalance~

« Reply #295 on: June 07, 2011, 12:24:41 pm »
Natural factors I think.  I really like Genestra probiotics but they are expensive and I just haven't gotten around to getting any lately.  ::)  I keep thinking it's time to go talk to our ND about their eating but I'm just too depressed about it!  :P  Maybe I will email her today.  She is on mat leave but hopefully she'll make an exception and see us.
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010

Offline ~Sara~

• Showing Appreciation 264
« Reply #296 on: June 07, 2011, 12:35:29 pm »
When I go to take his tray away, he practically fights me for it and goes to grab any last piece he can get.  If he clears his tray before I take it away, he will pick up miniscule crumbs and throw them.  Argh!!!

Yes, and my favorite is when he just goes nuts and uses his whole hand or arm to send the entire contents of his tray flying in every which direction.
Yup and yup!  We have that, too.  Thankfully not as often as it used to be.  Last night, we had pasta with marinara sauce and I put a little bit of shredded mozz on top of mine (no parm :().  A asked for some, so I put some on his pasta.  For a few bites, it was great.  Then, he would pick it off and throw it onto the floor.  We've been really consistent with him, which is the only reason I think he doesn't do this as much any more (especially the whole arm thing, which we still get, trust me).  We tell him to put the food he doesn't want on his tray, i.e. we acknowledge he doesn't want it on his plate; if he keeps throwing it, we assume he's done and the food goes away.  Since F and S are much younger, I'd just keep at trying to stay as calm as possible about it (maybe leave the room and then scream to the heavens when he can't see you--yeah, BTDT!).

Martina, I wonder if T is acting the way he does because he sees how F eats?

Karen, hooray on the silver dollar pancakes!!!
*formerly tersaseda*

Offline ~inbalance~

« Reply #297 on: June 07, 2011, 15:36:15 pm »
Martina, I wonder if T is acting the way he does because he sees how F eats?
I don't think so, it doesn't seem that way.  But it's hard to know really.

We always did the same with T and throwing food, and he has been really good about it.  With F, as soon as food starts flying I put him down.  I just don't see the point in keeping him in there.  The thing is, at least it used to be he'd sit and eat for a bit first before throwing.  Now it starts pretty much right away.  :(  He doesn't give anything a chance, just picks it up and hurls it.  I don't know where else to feed him.

Today has been awful!  For lunch I made a platter with a variety of things, I thought they would nibble at least a little bit.  Nothing!  I even peeled and cooked a bunch of beets last night which used to be one of T's favs, but he hasn't touched them.  He hasn't even eaten the crackers!  It's getting out of hand really.  They don't eat the fruit anymore either.  WTH?
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #298 on: June 07, 2011, 15:39:51 pm »
Could they be getting sick? More HUGS

Good day (for us) so far. Those homemade silver dollar pancakes this morning plus some dry Kashi (heart to heart) cereal. LOTS of smoothie with TONS of fresh fruit and avocado blended in and then one of those breakfast cookies and some freeze dried pear (and more smoothie) at the park. Not even going to try for lunch - will just try for goat's milk yogurt after his nap. Dinner tonight should be disastrous though as the rest of us are having stir fry...

Offline ~inbalance~

« Reply #299 on: June 07, 2011, 15:43:06 pm »
I think F's issue at least in part is teeth.  The molars are so close to cutting.  Seriously though the kid better start eating SOMETHING because I have a feeling molars and canines will be back to back so we're looking at an awfully long run of teething!

T seemed to be coming down with something last week but it didn't progress.  Just feverish and grumpy for a day, then nothing??  I have wondered if they caught some little tummy bug due to the fact that they have both had loose stools.  Still their behaviour doesn't indicate anything, they are both fine.  I am so confused!

Yay for the good day so far Karen!
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010