Author Topic: Support thread for moms of picky eaters - Part 2  (Read 75677 times)

Offline Mom to M&M

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
Re: Support thread for moms of picky eaters - Part 2
« Reply #330 on: June 10, 2011, 13:12:03 pm »
Matthew STILL won't use a fork! It's super annoying. He DID use one around 13-15 months (if I stabbed the pieces he'd feed himself with the fork) but then stopped and won't do it again. Frustrating since I think he'd eat more/better (at least to a degree) if he'd use it again!

He ate 2-2.5 of those new silver dollar pancakes this morning and had a fair amount smoothie. We have gym class from 10:15-11 and need to hit the grocery store after so he'll likely have a Larabar or bagel for "lunch" in the shopping cart, along with more smoothie. The rest of us are having homemade egg salad/tuna salad sandwiches tonight - probably will offer him grilled cheese and baby carrots and a pouch but not sure yet.
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline ~inbalance~

• Showing Appreciation 272
« Reply #331 on: June 12, 2011, 15:22:04 pm »
My children are eating, my children are eating!!  :D  lol  It's sad how excited that makes me.  T seems to be back to himself, eating fair enough quantities of a variety of things.  F is, well, F.  ::)  He is still throwing a lot, but he is eating some too which is a step in the right direction.  Poos back to normal too.  I wonder if they had the same tummy bug as me but somehow weren't as affected?  But then again, they have been eating like garbage for weeks now.  I don't know what changed, nor do I care.  For now anyway, they are eating!
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #332 on: June 13, 2011, 11:17:33 am »
Yay Martina!!!!! Long may it continue!
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline Jiinx

• Showing Appreciation 148
« Reply #333 on: June 13, 2011, 11:20:15 am »
awesome Martina!

We've been eating most of our meals by the window and her sitting beside me on the chair and it's been having her eat a bit more ::)
*Sarah*

Offline ~Sara~

• Showing Appreciation 264
« Reply #334 on: June 13, 2011, 12:16:12 pm »
Hooray Martina :)
*formerly tersaseda*

Offline Sam-n-Max's Mommy

• Showing Appreciation 29
« Reply #335 on: June 13, 2011, 12:18:37 pm »
That is fantastic, Martina!!!
--Nicole
(formerly samsmommy3312010)

Offline ~inbalance~

« Reply #336 on: June 13, 2011, 12:24:31 pm »
Thanks, the good eating continues.  We have been calling T the walking stomach because he just keeps asking for food, and eating it.  Last night we went out for dinner and he had some chicken fingers and sweet potato fries, a spring roll, and some bread.  Then when we got home he had a banana and some bagel.  This morning he has been eating his eggs which he hasn't touched in ages.  Last night F ate well too, and this morning he had some bagel, some dry cereal, cantaloupe, his smoothie, and a TON of eggs.  They must be catching up, lol.
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #337 on: June 13, 2011, 22:26:10 pm »
That's great Martina, I'm jealous!! In good news here, DS ate a baby banana at the farmer's market today (he used to eat bananas all the time but stopped a few months ago) and ate a fair size piece of my homemade granola this afternoon (again something he used to love but had dropped). Meals still the problem. Thank goodness for my chicken noodle soup (was his dinner when he refused the lemon chicken, broccoli and homemade fries).

OK, here is the current list of foods my DS will eat. Any thoughts on how I can expand based on this would be much appreciated.

He used to eat chicken nuggets and sweet potato fries but has apparently dropped those and gets angry now when he sees them... He used to do scrambled egg but dropped that like 6-8 months ago, same with roasted meats (pot roast, brisket, etc).

Breakfast: bacon (only at the diner, we don't do pork in the house), waffles (multigrain toasted with earth balance spread), pancakes (homemade and half whole wheat), whole wheat bagels with EB spread, dry cereal (usually cheerios or kashi heart-to-heart).

Lunch/dinner: pasta (with marinara sauce or meat sauce), pizza (homemade and can/usually does have chopped veggies, grilled cheese (sometimes - always goat's milk cheese, same as the pizza), chicken noodle soup, sometimes challah french toast or oatmeal (but rarely), applesauce, Ella's kitchen or Plum Baby veg/fruit pouches NEED HELP HERE!!!!

Snacks: banana (?), apple slices, roasted chickpeas, pistachio nuts, granola bar, homemade breakfast cookies, occasional Italian ice, smoothies (I make for him with lots of fresh fruit, a bit of apple juice, water and avocado daily), dried fruit (freeze dried, no sugar added), baby carrots (very rarely)

Ideas?

Offline ~inbalance~

« Reply #338 on: June 14, 2011, 00:07:18 am »
Karen, what if you did sweet potato 'chips' instead of fries?  I made some last night and today the boys ate a bunch for lunch.  I tried carrots too but they were too small once they shrunk.  :P  I think other root veggies would work too though, maybe parsnips or beets.  Will he do omlette instead of scrambled egg?  I'm just thinking variations of things he used to like, just done up 'differently' might be more appealing.

If he likes the chicken noodle soup, again can you try different variations?  Maybe a beef stew-like soup?  I often use leftover pot roast to make a beef and veggie soup with noodles that's so good.  Other kinds of soups too?

I'm looking for new ideas too.  Tomorrow I'm going to try making quesadillas for lunch with whole wheat tortillas, peppers, onions, and tomatoes.  I could probably sneak some chicken in there too.

We had another good day and I'm hoping it lasts.  It's amazing how less stressful it is when your kids are eating.  Why can't they just cooperate and eat all the time?  ::)
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010

« Reply #339 on: June 14, 2011, 00:19:11 am »
Karen - I don't have any advice because my DS is younger and has shorter list of foods he will eat.  Just wanted to tell you that I feel your pain with lunch and dinner - so few options!!

Martina - that is great that the boys are continuing to eat well.  Out of curiosity, did F get any of his teeth in? Wondering if that was part of the problem and, if so, will just keep hanging on until S's finish coming in.

The throwing continues.  I'm finding food in so many places now LOL!  (DH is vacuuming again as I write).  He does seem pretty interested in his fork and spoon though.  He clearly has no intention of eating from them at this point in time, but at least he likes them. ;)
--Nicole

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #340 on: June 14, 2011, 18:08:04 pm »
Thanks Martina. How did you make the sweet potato chips? I can definitely try them, though so far he's not interested in chips... I've tried omelet as well but it just gets screamed at. How do you make the beef/veggie soup? I'm making brisket tomorrow and could use some of the leftover meat in soup if that would work? I hope your quesadillas go over well!

Sorry with the throwing Nicole!

Offline ~inbalance~

« Reply #341 on: June 14, 2011, 18:14:24 pm »
I just sliced them super thin, coated them in a bit of oil, and threw them in the oven at 350.  Can't remember how long it took, I had to keep an eye on them and turn them.  The hardest part is that the thinner ones will crispen up faster and possibly burn, where as thicker ones don't get as crispy.  It's not hard though.  They're not totally crispy like potato chips but I think they're more appealing if they're still a bit soft, at least to my boys they are!

For the soup, I use leftover pot roast usually.  I use my slow cooker and just throw in whatever I have - carrots, potatoes, celery, onions, peas, peppers, corn - plus some seasonings.  I will make it with water or home made broth.  It takes quite a bit of seasoning for flavour if you're not using store bought broths, or I'm sure you can buy store bought soup seasoning mixes (we used a chicken soup one recently).  Again, not rocket science, I usually kinda make it up as I go.  I'm not much of a cook, lol.  I also add pasta (already cooked), and I put the beef in towards the end (it's already cooked too).  I like making chunky soups like this because I can just scoop out the chunky stuff for the boys and it's like a stew really.

The boys had an awesome breakfast, but the quesadillas were a bust.  ::)  Neither of them would even try it!  Well, I thought it was tasty.  ;)  Didn't help that they were mooching crackers and cheerios off other kids at playgroup today.  :P  So for lunch they basically had crackers, peaches, and T had a banana.  ::)
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #342 on: June 16, 2011, 00:22:15 am »
Still eating well enough in his very limited way here. Really trying to figure out how to expand his diet though! He did hold grapes today and say yum, just not eat them (he used to LOVE grapes but hasn't eaten any in months).

Offline huntersmummyinoz

• Showing Appreciation 100
« Reply #343 on: June 17, 2011, 04:42:14 am »
think i officially need to join in here. ds2 is eating reasonably well tho in small amounts, but i cant for the life of me get him to pick up and eat fruit and most vegetables (he will eat sweet potato, green beans and potato if it looks like a chip or mashed). often he does decide to pick up and try something new he will then refuse to eat the rest of his meal ::)

fortunately i am able to get away with putting veggies in a sauce or chopped finely and mixed with pasta or in an omelette, scrambled egg or mini quiches. he has a pretty limited range tho do to food intolerances (MSPI plus salicylates).

thought i would share a couple of successes i've had with veggies this week
- veggie chips: slice long strips with peeler of sweet potato and parsnip, mix with half tbs oil and lay on tray in single layer, bake. ds2 ate two of each, ds1 LOVED these.
- savoury pancake: i used ckn, leek, bacon, grated pumpkin and grated potato, both of them ate this and asked for more ;D
- cherry tomato and zucchini spaghetti - this was for ds1 who wont eat zucchini, but i peeled a zucchini, fried it up with a little garlic and halved cherry tomatoes which he loves and stirred it thru some warm spaghetti with some parmessan cheese. he had no idea zucchini was in there and you cant taste it with the cheese and garlic.

recently bought a waffle maker, am hoping to sneak some veggies in that way too.

mom to m&m - maybe a savoury pancake or waffle to hide some veggies? would he accept a small amount of grated carrot or zucchini in the meat sauce on pasta?

« Reply #344 on: June 17, 2011, 12:22:03 pm »
Welcome, Huntermummy! (I was on your other thread too :) ). 

I am going to try those veggie slices.  S seems to love tortilla chips and crisp bacon ::), so I wonder if these will work.  I have some nice zucchinis that I bought yesterday, so maybe I'll use them for that. 

We had a mini success here.  S tried a few bites of fish stick.  He started spitting it out when he got too much fish, but that is a start I suppose. 

I do think, however, that DH is going to have to become a SAHD.  Last night, S was very agitated in his high chair and started throwing food immediately.  DH was home early and when HE put the food on S's tray, he ate it! I am both happy and heartbroken! :)  WTH I do everything for this child and DH comes swooping in and his mere presence convinces S to eat? LOL :)  Now if DH can get S to eat some try some cut up fruits and veggies, then he will have to stay home from now on. No other choice. ;)

Hope everyone is having some good eating going on.  S had a very long NW last night (teeth), so I am not hopeful for today's eating since teething makes him even pickier than usual.
--Nicole