Author Topic: Off dairy, egg and soya - what is the real problem?  (Read 5683 times)

Offline firsttimemummy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 62
  • gone to enjoy the little things in life (my boys)
Re: Off dairy, egg and soya - what is the real problem?
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2011, 19:30:05 pm »
Now DS is in bed I have had chance to read the posts - think best thing to do is tell you DS's story .... (if you have an hour or two!!)

DS had lots of "colds" as baby which HV put down to getting all the bugs going.  One day he had fluid coming from ear which I knew meant was perforated - because he was a misery (2 ear infections) I just breastfed him and didn't give him any cows milk .... suddenly his nose cleared - until the morning after he had cows milk with dinner.  (I have cold cows milk intolerence, which gives me snotty nose, bad skin and boating, etc, but fine with milk above 72 degrees, cheese etc).

Since DS was on solids his poos were okay then started to get worse over time ..... just the snotty nose.  He has always got a burnt bottom with carrots and oranges (DH had that until aged 2).

Over time through looking at his diet we realised that soya, carrots, citrus fruits, apples, and sometimes tomatoes, give him a burnt bottom.  He also seemed to react to strawberries and blueberries. 

We asked doctor to refer us to paeds to as we wondered if it was a wheat problem he had that caused loose stools, and to confirm cold cows milk problem.  Paeds were USELESS but referred us to dietician (referral letter almost said the opposite of what we told her!!).  We sent stool sample to doctor to test for milk intolerence (something about particles in stool - but tests were negative - I did read though that sample has to get to lab within 1hr so that may be reason!!).

Anyway, dietician initially said we could do skin prick test for certain foods and to keep giving DS wheat as the proper tests need it in the body for a couple of months to show up the relevant antibodies.  Initially we were to try lactose-free milk and see how got on, but it didn't make a difference.  We then were told to do completely dairy free diet and see if made any difference.

At last appointment (1 month after start of diet) dietician had changed her opinion (maybe spoke to her boss or something!!) and said to keep on the dairy free diet (where we were getting some "normal" stools and some squashy ones) - she said not to do wheat free and restrict his diet further.  She also didn't mention any skin tests for other foods, but we were fine with this as DS rarely gets burnt bottom now we seem to have figured out main causes).

We go back in May to see what she says (got paed appt on Tues - only because dietician said we haven't been back there and should, so arranged it - sure will be waste of time!!). I annootated the referral letter with the true facts on it which I will take incase the paed mentions "it's just toddler diarrhoea and lots of children get it and we don't know why and most outgrow it" again!!

I asked dietician about when can introduce yogurt, etc and she said we will wait til May and see the story then! 

Not sure if this helps but explains where we are with things! 

Few things I have picked up, mainly from BW:
- lots of children with milk protein intolerence also have problems with soya (MSPI)
- some people (like me) are fine with all dairy apart from cold cows milk (anything above 72 degrees kills the whey proteins in milk)
- some people are just lactose intolerent so can use Lacto-free products
- and finally .... it is a minefield!!!!! fortunately lots of people outgrow the problems!!!
L x Having a bw break from 1 Feb 2012 - if you want to get in touch please send me a pm.  I may not be here but you are all in my thoughts xxxx (probably be back some time)

still happily married, just not counting!

Offline firsttimemummy

« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2011, 19:30:29 pm »
... told you it was a long post - sorry!
L x Having a bw break from 1 Feb 2012 - if you want to get in touch please send me a pm.  I may not be here but you are all in my thoughts xxxx (probably be back some time)

Offline LisaK1

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2011, 19:58:37 pm »
No problem, like long posts as you can pick out the gems that appear in them!  Sounds like Scottish NHS is just as naff as the English.  ::)
My boy is 4!

Offline firsttimemummy

« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2011, 20:29:09 pm »
To be honest - apart from the paed I have been really happy with the NHS here - maternity unit fantastic, DS gets eyes checked just in case has same genetic muscle imbalance as DH, etc and I can't fault them. (MIL runs a care home down south and she says NHS Scotland sooo much better - she worked up here until few years ago).

I think the dietician is just changing her mind to wait and see if we get complete progress or not, rather than adding too much into the mix.  Forgot to mention also that dietican probably not too concerned either as DS has always gained weight well, etc and been fit and healthy.  He is in oat milk (told not to use rice milk due to levels of inorganic arsenic!!!) - usually they say it doesn't have enough fat in it but as DS eats like a horse he gets enough calories, etc!

Offline LisaK1

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2011, 21:08:38 pm »
Yes, we are on fortified Oatly milk too (D says Rice milk is ok and to ignore the stuff about arsenic!).  We've been advised that as long as he has 10fl oz a day plus a healthy diet of meat, oily fish, green veggies etc then he will be fine (oh and the obligatory Vit drops).

I had shocking after birth care so not a great NHS fan to date!  Don't even want to go back and revisit those experiences. :-X
My boy is 4!

Offline firsttimemummy

« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2011, 21:47:41 pm »
It's funny how everyone gives different advice! Suppose because they don't have definite answers from research ??? Anything in moderation is fine I suppose (unless it's a food intolerence /allergy!!)!!

Sorry you had bad NHS experience - if/when you have another LO come and have it up in Scotland (my hospital especially!!) - I know of a friend's friend who was doctor down south somewhere and chose a home birth because of it!  Suppose people have good/bad experiences everywhere - sure next time will be better!!

Btw - your little one is really cute!!

Offline Jimbob

• Showing Appreciation 59
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2011, 12:33:30 pm »
My ds is 6 years old ad still reacts to dairy. James has a dairy allergy which flares his eczema, causes hives, vomiting, stomach cramps and horrible bowel movements. We were told originally that James would outgrow his allergies between 1 and 2 years old but certainly not the case unfortunately. Having said that there are lots of children that do so hopefully your lo will outgrow it sooner rather than later.

James has atopic eczema, multiple food allergies, asthma and late talker

Offline LisaK1

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2011, 19:41:13 pm »
No more bubs 4 me! I love my little to pieces but the whole experience of being sick as dog for 8 months, horrendous 35hr birth and the mess they made followed by 6 months Pnd, really can't put myself through it again! Bloomin nursery fed my boy pasta with egg today and one mouthful of rice pudding before someone with a brain intervened! I'm waiting to see what happens to lo!
My boy is 4!

Offline firsttimemummy

« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2011, 19:52:46 pm »
Poor you - at least if you know he is the last you can make the most of him!  Sorry to hear about the nursery - although saying that, my friend looks after DS once a week (for a few hours) while I work (worked, actually, as on mat leave!!) .... I was amazed at how many times he gave DS things he wasn't meant to have!!  And that is just him with 2 kids!!  Obviously he doesn't have allergic reactions so it wasn't serious - but even still!!!

It is great your nursery told you about the mistake (some wouldn't!) - it wont take them long to remember.  If they do keep doing it (sure they wont) then could you ask to take food in for him instead?

Offline LisaK1

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2011, 20:15:24 pm »
I did take all food and snacks plus wrote it all in his day book! I swear they hate me ad I'm mega fussy but as you say he is my only one do I enjoy him and he is mow my world so I suffer no fools when it comes to his care! They were gutted so I know it won't happen again and it's not a serious allergic reaction so not a major problem.

Sorry about telling u my pregnancy story, prob the last thing you want to read about now! Do u know if you are having boy or girl?
My boy is 4!

Offline firsttimemummy

« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2011, 21:06:13 pm »
I realised after I wrote the last post I may have scared you!!  Just wanted you to realise that it is normal for people to sometimes forget about food problems! Great that it should be a one-off!!

Don't worry, you didn't scare me.  DS's birth was fantastic and sure this one will too (and if not, will deal with that at the time!).  Glad you are enjoying your LO!  Don't "know" if having boy or girl but 3d scan looked like a boy and DH's family have only produced boys the last 4 generations, with strong genes!!!  DS convinced from day one he is having a brother!!!

p.s you are right to be "mega fussy" - not just cause they are paid to look after him, but because you are a mum.  When I was at work either the aforementioned friend or my Mum looked after DS and I still had to tell them what to do/what plan was EACH time I went to work!!!! I even laid out the meals/snacks for him even though they knew where he food choices were!!! Was my way of feeling I was doing what I could when i wasn't there!!

Offline LisaK1

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2011, 21:36:25 pm »
4 generations of boys, that's some persistant gene pool! Ok off to bed now, nice to chat. Mods might jump on this thread soon as off topic now too. :-) If I don't hear from you on other boards then hope the birth is just as great as last time (sure it must be easier 2nd time??). Would be nice to know when LO arrives.
Ps, I'm sure I'll chill out a bit soon regarding harry's food, it's only been a couple of weeks since diagnosis so I'm still a bit edgy about his care and needs being met. Hey ho, that's what good mums do I guess.
My boy is 4!

Offline firsttimemummy

« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2011, 21:46:11 pm »
It's funny - as I went to read the last post I realised I had forgotten what your original post was actually asking!! Will chat to you soon :)  Good luck with all the food issues - sure it will be sorted soon, and hopefully he will outgrow them all soon x