Author Topic: 7 mths - still getting blood and mucous with hidden dairy  (Read 2851 times)

Offline *Liz*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 394
  • Living beyond
7 mths - still getting blood and mucous with hidden dairy
« on: January 06, 2011, 18:23:46 pm »
BF babe - mama off dairy and soy products.

As many of you know the diet is hard and every now and again I get a little slip up. This time it was a vegetable soup that I have eaten before. So I didn't check and had a bowl once. The next time I went to have some I thought I might let M have a try so read the label again - milk and cream  >:( >:(.

Megan has her usual reaction - tummy aches, crying passing wind, walking up at night and staying awake until she farts. 3 days later - masses of mucous with blood streaks in it.

Just seems so excessive for her age now  :'(. Certainly no sign anything is improving.

We any of your kids still SO sensitive at this age??

Offline deb

• Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
Re: 7 mths - still getting blood and mucous with hidden dairy
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2011, 18:34:07 pm »
Some people are that way lifelong. :(

I'm wondering if there are other things that might be preventing gut healing, but if she's truly intolerant it can only take a little to un-heal the gut lining.

If she can tolerate coconut oil, a small spoonful a couple times a day can be healing. (Some docs count it as a tree nut, some not.)  Fish oil can as well, if she doesn't react adversely to fish.

In our family our reactions aren't so extreme to be sure, but even as adults the only dairy we can tolerate without intestinal side effects is yogurt. Apparently the culturing changes it enough for us, but not for everyone with a dairy intolerance.

Don't know if booking an appointment with an allergist would help - depends on your medical system/plan - but might be worth looking into.

Offline mmom

• Showing Appreciation 96
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2011, 19:02:42 pm »
Liz, I know M has EC.  Has your doc given you an idea of how long the intolerances will last?  I am not sure if it is similar to EE.  But our GI says that they never know how long term the food issues will be.  We know dairy is an issue for my M as well and it could be life long or he could get over it in a few years.  From what I have read, it is so individual.

((HUGS)) it is very hard.  I wasn't on the diet myself, but I know how challenging it is preparing food for M.
Kara

Offline Mashi

• Showing Appreciation 408
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2011, 19:10:21 pm »
Liz not sure if you remember but DS was definitely this sensitive.  I had kept him gluten free as well, which included oats.  When I decided at 9-10 months to try oats we went with ReadyBrek, which is totally milk free but made in a factory with milk products (or something along this line...it's a "may contain traces of" situation iykwim) and the result was unreal. At first I felt it confirmed that I was right to keep him gluten free and that at 9 months old he was presenting celiac symptoms because it was THAT bad.  Mucous and blood in stool, screeeeeeeeeeeeeeaming fits, thrashing around, arching and doubling over in pain....it was like his newborn days all over again, but worse.  

Trying to recall my exact line of thinking at the time, but for some reason, we tried oats shortly after....I think I wanted confirmation, possibly ??? but went with just a plain old bag of Irish Oats. And waited, and waited. Nothing. Tried a couple of days in a row, no problems at all.   Couple of weeks later, tried the readybrek again thinking that it must have been some random gastro-bug, but with the readybrek got the same reaction again.  The ONLY thing that I could put it down to was that there was some ridiculously miniature trace of milk in the readybrek and it was causing THAT bad of a reaction in him.  

When I first trialled soy with him, he had about half of a small pot of soy yogurt and he vomited projectile, for hours.  

I guess in one way it was good because I knew that when I did a milk trial at 15 months and he was fine, I really did know that he was fine, kwim?

Lots of hugs as I can't imagine what you are going through with the elimination diet xxx

scarlettsmom

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2011, 04:36:38 am »
Oh Liz,  big ((((hugs)))). That is the worst.  I used to have panic dreams about eating something and then realizing it had an unsafe ingredient.  It is very hard.

Gwynnie was absolutely this sensitive at 7 months!  My girl was incredibly sensitive.  As Deb said some folks remain extremely sensitive all their lives.  I would have thought for SURE Gwynnie would never tolerate any milk, soy etc ever,  however, she can tolerate pretty much everything except straight up cows milk now.  I honestly never even considered she'd be able to tolerate any of her allergenic foods until at the very least 12 months.  Even then I didn't give her anything obvious until closer to 18 months.

(((hugs))) you're doing great, and sometimes a slip up can have a silver lining...... you gauge where you are and help determine next steps.   

Offline *Liz*

• Living beyond
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2011, 10:56:57 am »
Thanks ladies  :-* :-*

Mashi - I remember your posts about the soy yoghurt all those months ago  :) - and little Mashi made huge strides quite quickly after that didn't he?? You have cheered me up  :-* :-*.

you gauge where you are and help determine next steps.   

There is a lot of truth in that. I don't think I have really taken the right steps to see this as a long term problem, and now it is obviously time too.

She had another unsettled night and a big intolerance poop this morning  :(, and this time I can think of no obvious precipitant. Which means there is 'something else' in the mix. But how on earth will I find out what??

Going to need to start with food diary and a shake up in attitute for me, I think.

scarlettsmom

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2011, 16:41:34 pm »
When did she have the soup?  She could still be reacting to the milk and cream.  It can take week or so to get out of her system. 

((((hugs)))) to both of you.  Just a small word of caution about food diaries (I know, like you need one more thing to be cautious about,,,).. But food diaries, especially for intolerances not all out allergies with immediate reactions, can be very tiresome and confusing.  I'm not saying not to keep some type of journal, or notes, that can be really helpful,,,,,but for intolereances a reaction can happen days later and really br frustrating to try to track.  I just know you have a lot on your plate with this and don't want you to feel compelled to become a slave to the journal.  Noting the foods and days would be great though.  I hope this makes sense.   :-\:-*

She is still really little.  Honestly, most LOs this age would probably have some type of GI reaction to anything with milk or cream in it.,,,,the proteins are hard to digest for the best of guts!

Take a deep breath, keep doing what you're doing and take it one day at a time.  You are doing GREAT.   :-*

Offline mmom

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2011, 18:02:47 pm »
Liz, I can only imagine how difficult this must be for you as a bf'ing mama.  I found it so difficult and that was just with my LO and without adding my diet to the mix.  IF you weren't bf'ing, I would say start from scratch and just go to liquid for a few weeks before slowing adding solids.  But since that is not an option, I have no advice.  So I am dropping off more hugs.  

FWIW, I struggled with the idea that these intolerances might be forever and just decided to take things a day at a time (or in my case, 1 month at a time, since that is how we trial foods.)  Worrying about the long term stuff was just too overwhelming.
Kara

Offline *Liz*

• Living beyond
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2011, 18:45:23 pm »
I think if I have a workable plan I will feel a whole lot better about all of this.

I just wish there was a more scientific way to rule foods in and out - I like concrete fact rather than derived assumptions.

The soup was between Christmas and New Year - so over a week now.

Plus the added issue of teething problems drives me crazy!! I think we might be starting the top 2 now   ::).

Offline mmom

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2011, 19:20:59 pm »
I just wish there was a more scientific way to rule foods in and out - I like concrete fact rather than derived assumptions.
I know what you mean about this.  I still don't know if all of the foods that I have ruled out are an issue.  I am waiting until teething is not an option and he is a little older with better communication, before I trial foods again.
Kara