Author Topic: 21 pound 7 month old DD eating too much???  (Read 2595 times)

Offline melanndee

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
21 pound 7 month old DD eating too much???
« on: January 06, 2011, 20:33:42 pm »
MY DD eats 3x a day.  She eats about 6 ounces each meal.  I feel like that's a lot.  She freely opens her mouth each time, and I've been told that as long as she open her mouth to put food in it.  I breastfeed, so I'm concerned that she is not getting enough milk, which should be her primary source of nutrition right now. 

She weighed 9 pounds 2 oz at birth and now weighs 21 pounds, so she has always been a big baby.

Anyone else have a LO that eats this much?

Offline ~*Nicole*~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 178
  • Formerly: *Nicole-Ava's mom*
Re: 21 pound 7 month old DD eating too much???
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2011, 21:09:56 pm »
Do you breastfeed BEFORE offering her solids???? That would be the best way to ensure she isn't taking in too much solids and filling up and not enough milk. Then you can offer her the solids and follow her lead. As long as you aren't force feeding, she should be able to regulate her own intake. I'd def. always BF first and then offer solids about 30-60 minutes afterward

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2011, 15:40:33 pm »
I agree that I would BF on waking and then solids an hour after.

Offline newmama12

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2011, 13:43:26 pm »
YES - my baby is big too! I have a ds who is just over 5.5 months and weights about 18 lbs! He was an average baby at birth, 8lbs even. He's just an eater! ;) I breastfeed too and, recently, have been wondering if I over feed him. He will always open his mouth for food and nurses every 2.5-3 hours. I was trying to get him more on a 3-3.5 hour schedule but his night sleep is horrible so I started nursing him more during the day in hopes of getting more calories in him. It's working, sort of. He is sleeping a little better, but not great. :)

Anyways, I did start him on cereal about a week ago and he only gets it 1 time/day and only about 1 tbsp. I always nurse him an hour before the cereal so that he won't over eat. Honestly, he does eat it all b/c it's only a tbsp, though. :)

Is she moving yet? My doctor said once he's crawling, pulling up, etc, that we'll probably won't see a whole lot of weight gain thru a year. He'll just get longer. Some babies just love to eat and are big!
~Cyndie
Mom to my Spirited DD (5) and Textbook DS (23 months) :)

Offline ~*Nicole*~

• Showing Appreciation 178
  • Formerly: *Nicole-Ava's mom*
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2011, 17:19:04 pm »
I did start DD on cereal around 4 months and fairly quickly moved up to 3 meals of it a day in addition to her bottles (I BF prior to that but it didn't work out long term). So, yes, they sure CAN eat. She was about 16 lbs. at 4 months and 18 at 6 months...but was close to 9 lbs. at birth.