Author Topic: Baby Led Weaning Support Thread - Part 8  (Read 66654 times)

Offline Kimberlina

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 26
Re: Baby Led Weaning Support Thread - Part 8
« Reply #135 on: February 13, 2011, 13:13:13 pm »
Hi girls!

Hester, do you milk feed first? When we first started with Jack, we did milk feed then about 1 hr later had solids. This way he was getting the nutrients he needed from milk first (which is more important until he's 12 mo) and then he's not distracted/frustrated by hunger when he's "playing" with food.

MMM! Squash and sweet potato! I LOVE them! When I make squash/zucchini/courgette for myself, I cut into thick rings and steam until soft then eat (skin & all) with butter & salt. When making for a little one, I would peel and cut into spears like a cucumber (about the size/width of your index finger) and steam. Because Noah is so small, I would not steam it too long because squash can become very mushy!

For sweet potato, when I make it for myself, I will peel & cut into big chunks, parboil, and roast in the oven with honey. DELICIOUS!!!  (DO NOT DO THIS FOR BABIES! Before 12 mo, honey is not recommended!)  For Noah and babies his age, I would say to peel it and chop into thick sticks (they will shrink in the oven!) and roast. When he gets a bit older (like Jack's age) I would say cook it like a potato, mash the inside, and let him go for it! I do mini baked potatoes for J all the time! He loves it!

Amy, I have no idea! I cook them until when I spear them with a knife whilst cooking, the outside is soft, but the inside is still firm. I'd say that if you spear them and they fall right off the knife, it's too done!

HTH!
♥ Kim

Offline timmysmommy

• Showing Appreciation 11
« Reply #136 on: February 13, 2011, 13:17:40 pm »
Hester- my little guy has had a combo of preloaded spoon and finger foods and he is doing just fine!  He has terrific fine motor skills and loves to eat.  Although lately he's been boycotting his veggies ::). Hth!

Offline jakobsmommy

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #137 on: February 13, 2011, 15:26:19 pm »
i make sweet potatoe wedges, jakob coped fine with these from 7m, and butternut squash rissoto (loaded spoon or rolled into balls to pick up) or bake cubes/wedges.  the wedges can get sharp corners on which i just snip off.

i think loaded spoons are still BLW as they are controlling the pace and amount, jakob can now eat think spoon mixing between dipping bread and using a spoon ()often turns spoon upside down in mouth but is q successful lol

Offline Hester

• Showing Appreciation 28
  • Welcome to fall ;)
    • My Usana site
« Reply #138 on: February 13, 2011, 15:44:28 pm »
Thanks ladies! I do BF first, but he still gets frustrated. I'll do a combo for a bit, untill he's calmed down a bit and then hand it over :)

Amy, I started 3 days ago. Just observe her and if she seems ready, try some, if she's not ready she won't choke, she'll use her tongue reflex to push thingsback out...

Offline *Amy*

• Showing Appreciation 19
  • Originally from Ireland - Living in Dubai
« Reply #139 on: February 13, 2011, 16:02:25 pm »
Did some carrot today - it was too soft as it fell apart as soon as she picked up a spear - she got so frustrated! tried banana but she bit off a huge part. She was getting very very frustrated! will try again tomorrow with broccoli I think that might be a bit easier to hold.

Offline zoeselina

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
    • ZoeSelina.com
« Reply #140 on: February 13, 2011, 17:40:12 pm »
My LO loves broccoli because she likes to suck the excess water out of the leaves first. :D It's very cute. She also really liked brussels sprouts, but I think that might be unusual, since most of my friends do the jaw-drop face when I tell them. :P
Zoë

Offline Hester

• Showing Appreciation 28
  • Welcome to fall ;)
    • My Usana site
« Reply #141 on: February 14, 2011, 04:40:30 am »
ok, so today he got some rice cookies (mum mum) and oat cereal and some applesauce. MAN that kid get SUPER angry if he can't get enough fast enough. Every time he dropped the mum mum he would SCREAM as if in pain. Then as soon as he got it back, he did the big sigh and kept eating. So I shoved some cereal in there and that calmed him down enough to enjoy his mum mum. Then I fed him BF about 30-45 minutes later (it's Sunday, the day was a bit messed up)and he took a full meal as well. I think I might have been starving him before I started solids. My goodness, it looks as if I haven't fed him in days!

Offline my3girlsjde

• Sometimes a superpower is simply surviving the chaos.....
  • Showing Appreciation 115
  • Reflux, sleep apnea and food allergies
« Reply #142 on: February 14, 2011, 14:39:44 pm »
E loves rice cookies and anything she can get her hands on right now. Not eating a whole lot due to being sick but she still likes to play and chew. Breathing? I'm sure she'll go back to normal soon.

Oh and Hester, you can get much cheaper rice cookies at Superstore in the natural foods section than what mum-mums cost. They're also in a bunch of different flavours. I get mine at Sobeys but I don't think you have that chain out west. I got a pack of 90 cookies for what a box costs. Sorry if OT Martina but it's a great deal :)
Vicki - nursing student and proud mother to three refluxers in two years

Remembering my sleeping angels: 17 Jan 06, 30 Jul 09

Offline Mrs Coops

• ~~Marsha~~
  • Showing Appreciation 43
  • Too busy to visit BW much, but still love it.
« Reply #143 on: February 14, 2011, 15:27:52 pm »
Frustration reigns supreme here just now ::) Meals are NOT fun. He's still doing the suck and spit technique although occasionally an item will disappear with a huge effort!

This is how this lunchtime went. Offered very lightly toasted pitta bread with cream cheese on, first piece vanished, second piece sucked, third piece ignored as he was watching us eat ours. I offered him a tiny amount of tuna on a fork, after the look of shock he swallowed and bounced like he wanted more. I offered more, he smashed my hand out of the way and got mad! I put it on his tray, nope, he smudged it off the side of the chair. I tried a drink, he went to drink it and then tried to smash that out of my hand ::) I offered the cheese on my finger, the first bit got sucked the second smashed away in frustration! He then sucked a small orange to death and deposited the majority of it down his bib!

This boy is a challenge, on one hand he acts like he wants more before then saying 'no, I don't want that' I never had any of this with S, she just stuffed her fat face with everything put in front of her!
Formerly 'The Goblin'

Offline my3girlsjde

• Sometimes a superpower is simply surviving the chaos.....
  • Showing Appreciation 115
  • Reflux, sleep apnea and food allergies
« Reply #144 on: February 14, 2011, 15:49:11 pm »
Marsha - could it be teeth or textures? The twins wouldn't chew properly until they were about 14 months. Not even lumpy purees. Very annoying. Can you give fruits that he can suck on? Hugs.
Vicki - nursing student and proud mother to three refluxers in two years

Remembering my sleeping angels: 17 Jan 06, 30 Jul 09

Offline ~Sarah~

• Showing Appreciation 59
  • The Moo/Bean Combo
« Reply #145 on: February 14, 2011, 19:51:59 pm »
I think teeth or textures too Marsha.  Hope it's not the textures..Ry has issues and it stinks!!
Remember  BLW...go at his pace.  I now it stinks as S took right to it, but you have to give him the same respect and patience and it will work out how it should.

Offline bug_blues70

• Showing Appreciation 25
« Reply #146 on: February 18, 2011, 01:51:14 am »
Marsha - that sounds JUST LIKE Ellen. I stress out so much about what to feed her b/c I'm always trying to guess what she'll eat and I she doesn't have a big repertoire of things she'll eat to begin with. I'll ask her if she wants something, she'll get all excited and "say" yes, and then will eat ONE bite. ::) It's especially bad when she is teething - the past few days she has eaten almost nothing and won't even finish her bottles. Could your LO be teething?

Megan

Offline Mama Kate

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • Aussie mum of 2 sweet girls
« Reply #147 on: February 18, 2011, 04:53:41 am »
Hi - just wanted to join in on this thread.  My little girl is almost 8 months now and about a month ago started to refuse to be spoon fed.  I think she was plain bored of purees so I've been trialling BLW.  So far she's doing pretty well but sometimes I do worry that she's not getting enough so I am helping her a little bit (I know technically I'm not supposed to).  

Her favourite foods so far are strawberries (I try to limit due to acidity), cooked spinach leaves (that was a surprise) and onigiri (Japanese rice ball snack - homemade).  I am fast running out of ideas to keep her interested so thought I'd tag along.  
Kate

Offline Mrs Coops

• ~~Marsha~~
  • Showing Appreciation 43
  • Too busy to visit BW much, but still love it.
« Reply #148 on: February 18, 2011, 07:19:41 am »
Megan he still hasn't got a tooth yet so teething is a high probability.

Vicki he lives on fruit, sucks the juice out of everything!

Sarah I am trying to be patient, my child minder will have her job cut out for her in March!

We're having more swallowing now, I gave him a handful of frozen blueberries yesterday and he ate everyone. He likes peas too. The only problem with small food is he eats them slowly one at a time. The peas I fed him, he either took them off me and ate them or ate them out of my hand ::)

He'll get there!

GTG he's trying to get down the stairs!!!
Formerly 'The Goblin'

Offline ~inbalance~

• Showing Appreciation 272
« Reply #149 on: February 18, 2011, 15:05:28 pm »
Welcome milas_mum :)
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012