Author Topic: Baby Led Weaning Support Thread - Part 8  (Read 66651 times)

Offline bug_blues70

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 25
Re: Baby Led Weaning Support Thread - Part 8
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2011, 00:54:56 am »
Wow, Liz, hugs! All those intolerances must make feeding so hard for you!! I complain about simple pickiness!! Can you feed her rice? It's one of the things Ellen really likes.

Megan

Offline ~Sarah~

• Showing Appreciation 59
  • The Moo/Bean Combo
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2011, 02:13:39 am »
Neither of my kids like rice...I think it is a texture thing.

Today I gave Elise seaweed and raisins on her tray...she threw the raisins off and ate the seaweed snack!!  Too funny

Offline Edesanja

• Showing Appreciation 39
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2011, 02:32:34 am »
Feeling a bit lost with it all as for DD it isn't a case of 'give her what you are having' as she is currently dairy, soy, gluten and egg free  ::)

Neither of mine have been in this category either. It does make BLW harder, but in fact it makes any feeding harder.

I've always done lots of patties. Just veggies mixed with rice flour or mince mixed with rice flour or rice or mashed potato. We do variations of those a lot, and then strips of meat, roasted or steamed veggies, custard made with rice milk (or could be a good way of introducing her to the formula you want her to drink - though while both of mine drink/drank Neocate, neither would touch anything with Neocate cooked in it).

What about chickpeas?

Have a look at the end of this thread where Eloise has posted heaps of her ideas: http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=175107.msg2109674#msg2109674
Jenny - mama to

Offline timmysmommy

• Showing Appreciation 11
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2011, 19:11:01 pm »
Liz, T had some tummy issues when he was younger, so I went really slow in introducing foods.  His starting foods were: soft fruits, spears of squash and sweet potato.  I also made a lot of mini stews for him with meat, potato, carrot, etc in a small crock pot until everything is tender.  You can make mini meat loaf- leave out the egg, you can use oatmeal instead of bread, and grate in some veggies.  You can find rice pasta which is gluten free.  You could also try quinoa as a grain.  I know it is overwhelming with diet restrictions, but I still found blw to be do-able.  It's so fun watching them chow down on their food while you get to eat your meal while it is still warm!

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2011, 19:19:49 pm »
Liz, Olly is off the same foods - I started this thread http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=182009.0 HTH

Offline Kimberlina

• Showing Appreciation 26
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2011, 19:35:00 pm »
BIG HUGS, Liz - you are such an inspiration, though. Even with all the intolerances still blazing through and being a fab mum!

I don't know if you saw it on Dragon's Den, but there is a frozen dessert called Worthenshaws: http://www.worthenshaws-freedom.co.uk/

It's free from diary, sugar, gluten, soya, egg nuts, & artificial colours/flavours. It's on offer at Tescos at the moment for £2 a tub. I don't know whether this is suitable for Megan, but it seems to tick all the boxes!

I've also done some googling and found some sites you might look at:

http://www.thesensitivepantry.com/recipes/
http://www.godairyfree.org/Table/Recipes/
http://withoutadornment.wordpress.com/2010/12/07/gluten-dairy-soy-and-egg-free-carrot-cake/
♥ Kim

Offline *Liz*

• Showing Appreciation 394
  • Living beyond
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2011, 19:41:22 pm »
It does make BLW harder, but in fact it makes any feeding harder.

That is certainly true Jenny.

Thanks for the ideas Amy - I think stewed meat and veggies is a GREAT idea. And it IS funny watching Megan eat - especially when her 2.5 yo brother is failing to eat next to her. He is a very poor eater and always has been.

For Breakfast today she had peach slices, Lunch was banana and rice cracker, and Dinner was roast potatoes, peas and mango

That thread is a great idea - I will come and join you.

Kim - that is SO kind of you - and that desert sounds fab for ME!!! Thanks so much for mentioning it. I miss my deserts.

Offline timmysmommy

« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2011, 19:53:44 pm »
Just wondering what your kiddo's ate yesterday.  I'm looking for some new ideas.
Timmy had yogurt (we are trying dairy for the first time!) peas, fruit cocktail, clementine, mango, pineapple, broccoli, half an avocado, chick peas, rice puffs, cherrios, pasta fagoli (pasta, ground beef, zuchini, tomato, carrots, kidney beans, great northern beans), and some Earth's Best organic oatmeal cinnamon cookies.

Offline ~inbalance~

• Showing Appreciation 272
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2011, 20:04:23 pm »
I find it hard to come up with ideas for F as well, but he scoffs at most of what I offer so maybe that's why I don't try so hard.   ::)  Dinners are easy because we usually have really great stuff anyway and he can just have some of what we have, but breakfast and lunch are tricker.  I always just end up giving him organic O cereal and fruit for breakfast, maybe some toast but he never eats it.  :P  And for lunch he usually ends up with more fruit, vegetables from our soup, and organic pasta.  He actually quite likes the pasta, but I feel like he's getting bored because I always give it to him! 

It is funny though, as F hardly eats anything but it doesn't really bother me.  I figure he will eat what and when he wants.  But if T was ever picky, I would have freaked out!  I think it's a second kid thing really, to be more relaxed.  So Megan, I know you worry about Ellen not eating much now, but I guarantee you won't worry as much with LO #2!  ;)
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012

Offline bakershaker

• Showing Appreciation 3
  • Mom of 3- Baker 12/07, Myla 03/10, Sawyer 03/14
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2011, 03:23:18 am »
That is to cute about the seaweed Sarah!

Martina, I totally agree with you about the 2nd child thing! I don't panic as much if she decided not to eat, but with Baker I would try to stuff him full for fear of him starving. lol

Breakfast we do alot of milk free pancakes with fruit,english muffin with cinnamon on it, raisin toast is a fav. Lunch we do cheese quesidillas with green/red peppers, pasta, she loves chicken breast with avacado and mild salsa on it, tuna sandwiches, grapes...and supper, it's what we eat which is usually chicken or pasta or roast and veggies. Hope that gives some ideas!!
Mommy to 3 beautiful little ones

Offline ~Sarah~

• The Moo/Bean Combo
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2011, 03:56:52 am »
Hi all-
I have chatted with a lady on another BLW site who is here in the Seattle area attending one of the local holistic medical schools here.  She is doing a thesis on BLW and she needs some volunteers to help her out.  It is basically keeping a food diary for 3 days when you start and 3days around 9mo.  The kicker is she needs your input BEFORE you start (which most of us have).  So if you know of anyone who might be starting and would not mind helping with some research, can you let me know...I will put you in contact with her.
Thanks a bunch!!

Offline bug_blues70

• Showing Appreciation 25
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2011, 14:21:41 pm »
I find it hard to come up with ideas for F as well, but he scoffs at most of what I offer so maybe that's why I don't try so hard.

This is totally me!!! Thanks for the encouragement - I'm just hoping DS will be a pig and eat everything in sight!! lol ;D The only reason I care is that it's just so frustrating to plan and prepare food all day long only to have it completely refused no matter what. That and I'm always afraid of NF starting, but I guess I should relax about that since it hasn't really happened yet, I guess it's probably not going to.

Sarah - did you have to start with BLW from the very beginning? I probably have records, but I started with purees first and then switched to BLW.

Megan

Offline timmysmommy

« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2011, 21:09:58 pm »
Great ideas everyone!  I was stuck eating the same things iykwim! 
Sarah-I may also have records from the start.  T has rice cereal for 3 days then I found BLW.  He turned 9 months yesterday, so that one would be easy.

Offline ~Sarah~

• The Moo/Bean Combo
« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2011, 23:22:27 pm »
Thanks ladies!  I sent her a message and asked if that would work..so sweet of you for wanting to help!  I am the same way :)

Offline Mrs Coops

• ~~Marsha~~
  • Showing Appreciation 43
  • Too busy to visit BW much, but still love it.
« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2011, 00:06:56 am »
Amy J had pear for breakfast, prunes & some cucumber for lunch and prawns, peppers & frozen blueberries for dinner! He's not eating a lot and as you know not much out the other end so trying to keep it stodge free!

We discovered frozen blueberries today, he LOVED them! I only got out a handful & he was looking for more once he'd eaten them all!

I've been watching him closely and he knows exactly what he's doing with his hands now. He's very precise in what he picks up, his ability to swallow is improving too. Just need to get him actually eating more now.
Formerly 'The Goblin'