Author Topic: Baby Led Weaning Support Thread - Part 8  (Read 66089 times)

Offline julieong

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Re: Baby Led Weaning Support Thread - Part 8
« Reply #225 on: March 08, 2011, 12:13:40 pm »
Hi, I started BLW with my 7mth old for around 1 month already. She has 2 bottom front teeth and can bite off chunks of veggies and store them in her cheeks! The problem is even though she has chunks of food in her mouth, she continues to gnaw at the veggies and end up with alot of food in her mouth.  Sometimes, she cries out and I have to intervene by digging out these chunks.   She hates me doing this! 

Does anyone face the same problem?  Any solutions??

Offline ~inbalance~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 272
« Reply #226 on: March 08, 2011, 13:28:39 pm »
Hi, I started BLW with my 7mth old for around 1 month already. She has 2 bottom front teeth and can bite off chunks of veggies and store them in her cheeks! The problem is even though she has chunks of food in her mouth, she continues to gnaw at the veggies and end up with alot of food in her mouth.  Sometimes, she cries out and I have to intervene by digging out these chunks.   She hates me doing this! 

Does anyone face the same problem?  Any solutions??
I used to have this problem with f.  ::)  It takes awhile for them to learn how to swallow, so until then they end up with all this food in there and don't know what to do with it!  Some of them just spit it out, but F never figured that out so would just panic and get upset until I fished it out for him.  He did get over it around 8mos when he learned how to swallow.  ;)
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012

Offline julieong

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #227 on: March 09, 2011, 15:58:23 pm »
Hi Martina, your LO sounds like what mine is doing.  So you just monitored him and fished out the food whenever he is upset?  Did you find that some foods are less of a risk?  My LO seems to be stuffing herself with soft foods, e.g. steamed apple.  She was ok with avocado in a feeder.

Offline ~inbalance~

• Showing Appreciation 272
« Reply #228 on: March 09, 2011, 17:29:12 pm »
I can't remember any specific foods being worse than others.  It was more an issue he didn't know how to swallow it.  Soft foods are easier to mush up in their mouths.  He just kinda outgrew it when he figured it all out.  I tried to give him as much chance to deal with it as I could but would remove it if he was upset.  Also I would only give him one or two pieces at a time, or else he'd just keep shoving it all in!   :P
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012

Offline julieong

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #229 on: March 10, 2011, 04:38:02 am »
Good idea, I guess I will have to limit her food.  Sometimes, when I know her mouth is full, I would give her a teether instead...

Offline Mrs Coops

• ~~Marsha~~
  • Showing Appreciation 43
  • Too busy to visit BW much, but still love it.
« Reply #230 on: March 10, 2011, 15:51:08 pm »
Hi Hedgohog17. I found carrots a bit of a difficult food to start with, it's rock solid raw (although a great teether) and slippery cooked. It's the one food my DD choked on.
 Potatoes and broccoli are good first foods, they crumble easily when eaten and can be swallowed 'accidentally' whereas hard foods like carrots need to be actively 'moved' back and swallowed.  It took DD about a minute to figure out swallowing but DS until he was 9mo!

As for digesting it, it takes MONTHS! Expect to see undigested food for a while.
Formerly 'The Goblin'

Offline derryanther

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #231 on: March 10, 2011, 16:01:53 pm »
I have a question -- I see people offering cheese -- are we talking chunks or fingers of cheese? or melted? also, what types of cheese?

Offline *Amy*

• Showing Appreciation 19
  • Originally from Ireland - Living in Dubai
« Reply #232 on: March 10, 2011, 17:17:00 pm »
i do mature sticks of chedder cut from a block 

Offline Hedgehog17

• Showing Appreciation 71
« Reply #233 on: March 10, 2011, 18:17:55 pm »
Thanks Marsha!

We moved on to cucumber yesterday and he loved it - sucked the soft bits off the skin and swallowed some of it no problem  ;D

Interestingly there were 4 chunks of carrot in his nappy this morning (having come out in the middle of the night), so they must have been hanging around inside him for a couple of days  :o sorry TMI  ;)

Anyone tried Sainsbury's 'Free From' bread as toast sticks? I need to avoid giving DS dairy and wheat and other allergens, so this should be a better option. Not sure when to introduce it though as he's only had 3 days of carrot and 2 of cucumber so far... should I wait until he's had a couple of weeks of veg & fruit first?

I hope the poor boy isn't too frustrated at me taking this weaning thing so slowly but with his and the family history I don't want to take too many risks!

Offline Mrs Coops

• ~~Marsha~~
« Reply #234 on: March 10, 2011, 19:44:24 pm »
Derryanther we gave DD cheese in any form, melted in a pitta bread and cut into fingers (difficult without teeth) or plain old cheddar sticks, but the favourite was cheese triangles, she would gently take each little chunk that was offered and eat it. She had the pincer grasp mastered at 7mo! DS has constipation issues so limited dairy is given, but when tried he LOVED cheddar and happily sucked cheese triangles off my fingers!

Anyone tried Sainsbury's 'Free From' bread as toast sticks? I need to avoid giving DS dairy and wheat and other allergens, so this should be a better option. Not sure when to introduce it though as he's only had 3 days of carrot and 2 of cucumber so far... should I wait until he's had a couple of weeks of veg & fruit first?

That bread sounds fine. I would say toast it VERY lightly, too crunchy and they have to work at softening it for ages, but too soft and it gets stuck in the roof of the mouth!!!

I've never done the one food every three days thing with either baby. Even DS and his more delicate bowels. So I don't know the best option for you.

I've read in Gil Rapleys book that offering every three days is more important when giving purées as you're basically starting the digestion process by mushing everything up. By time it hits the baby's bowel it has already been 'chewed and pulverised' so the body absorbs the nutrients maybe before it is actually ready to do so IYKWIM?
 With BLW the baby has to do it all, pick it up, swallow it, digest it and so on. As you've already seen in the nappy they don't do it very well to start with and most of it comes out completely unchanged. Therefore allowing their bodies to learn and adapt to the process in their own time. This also reduces the chances of allergic reactions. I know with DD we had a selection of fruits that her body took for ever to handle, things like grapes, raisins and dried apricots would pretty much clean her out. So we offered them every month or so until her body got used to them. She's making up for it now by eating all three in large quantities!

I know you have a history of allergies so I understand your concern, but I do think this style of weaning is a much more relaxed approach.
Formerly 'The Goblin'

Offline ~Sarah~

• Showing Appreciation 59
  • The Moo/Bean Combo
« Reply #235 on: March 10, 2011, 20:13:01 pm »
Marsha-love the new avatar pic!!!
(sorry for the OT Martina :-* )

Offline Mrs Coops

• ~~Marsha~~
« Reply #236 on: March 10, 2011, 21:14:31 pm »
Cheers Sarah. Love yours too ;D

Well J seems to have found his appetite, he's scoffing loads just lately! Tonight he sat and fed himself a large portion of peas and sweetcorn, as well as some sausage and pasta. I love it when he eats, it's taken him a while to get the hang of it!
Formerly 'The Goblin'

Offline hjrmom01

• ~~Erin~~
  • Showing Appreciation 60
  • My girls
« Reply #237 on: March 11, 2011, 02:18:07 am »
we haven't really "officially" started yet, just gave C stuff we know she couldn't eat just to practice.  Tomorrow I think I'm going to steam or bake some apple wedges and see how that goes and I have to do out grocery shopping and asparagus, squash, broccoli and cauliflower are all on the menu for the week so she'll be able to try those, too.

Tonight after dinner I was holding her and clearing plates from the table and she reached down and grabbed an apple wedge from H's plate!  :o :D She's definitely ready to try. She has ZERO skills when it comes to picking things up or seeing them on a tray in front of her. If you don't put it in front of her face so her hands can grab it, it may as well not even exist  ::) Hopefully that'll change soon! 

Offline bexandlucy

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #238 on: March 12, 2011, 10:01:50 am »
Hi, can I have some reassurance please? I am having a BLW wobble :(

Having been really interested in food for a good month, L is suddenly interested in hardly anything. Finger foods just get thrown on the floor and she gets really angry and upset. She'll take off a spoon ok  (I preload the spoon and let her take it to her mouth herself) and she'll take a lot more this way than if I leave her to do it with her hands. This has been perhaps the last 2 weeks, before that she'd try anything.

She hasn't grasped the pincer grip yet (although I am trying to give her lots of opportunity to practice) and is reluctant to put her hand in anything soft and mushy and wopp it up to her mouth. At the moment I'm offering her dinner, it gets shoved around and she gets upset, then i end up putting bits on a spoon and letting her eat it off there. Her swallow is great, she'll swallow huge chunks now. She has porridge for breakfast, finger foods only for lunch then the mixture at dinnertime.

Am I hindering her progress by giving her the spoon? Should I just let her get on with it and if she doesn't take it then so be it? I'm so unsure and indecisive and its starting to stress me out :(
Bec

[/url]

Offline Mrs Coops

• ~~Marsha~~
« Reply #239 on: March 12, 2011, 11:08:28 am »
Hey Erin she'll get there, obviously her actual age has no reflection in her ability just now, I'm sure in a month or so she'll catch up. I used to offer S my finger and she would grab it and shove it in her mouth, good training for the real thing.

Hi, can I have some reassurance please? I am having a BLW wobble :(

Reassurance coming your way!

Babies do go through feast and famine stages. It's totally normal for her to just not want any for a while, although it doesn't do your nerves any good. We've just had a week of famine followed by a week of absolute gluttony! Just keep offering and hopefully she'll start up again soon.

As for pincer grasp try and put some peas and sweetcorn on her tray and see what she does, or hold a pea in front of her. J just picked one up one day and off he went!

Keep encouraging her. I don't think offering her a pre loaded spoon will hinder her. x
Formerly 'The Goblin'