Author Topic: Baby Led Weaning Support Thread - Part 8  (Read 66679 times)

Offline hjrmom01

• ~~Erin~~
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 60
  • My girls
Re: Baby Led Weaning Support Thread - Part 8
« Reply #240 on: March 12, 2011, 16:18:08 pm »
Thanks, Marsha  :-* I really do think when she gets the hang of grabbing stuff off her try by herself we are going to have to hold on tight because she is going to TAKE OFF with eating!  Last night I handed her a Mum mum and she LOVED it!  She took it and shoved it in her mouth and went to town on it like she knew exactly what to do  :D This morning she had a bit of pear and even managed to gum off a bit. I think the jury is still out on pears  :P

Bexandlucy- just like Marsha said, hang in there!  If you feel more confident offering finger foods and still giving her something on a spoon then do that.  With C, I will put melon pieces on a fork so she can taste them that way.  She can't pick things up herself yet so we have to hand everything to her  ::) But the kids like to make us moms go crazy....one week they'll eat you out of house and home and the next week won't put a bit of food to their mouths!  My DD1 did this all the time. They won't starve themselves.

Offline Mrs Coops

• ~~Marsha~~
  • Showing Appreciation 43
  • Too busy to visit BW much, but still love it.
« Reply #241 on: March 12, 2011, 20:13:22 pm »
S is the exception to that rule, she only ever declines food when very ill, otherwise she is a complete pig! Always has been, I don't know where she puts it all ::)

J has a serious case of constipation ??? It's been going on for a while now but it's just getting worse the more he eats! I am constantly wondering if he's intolerant to something but apart from the odd green poop he has no gas, no bloating, no discomfort apart from when he's pooping, no loss of appetite and is sleeping great! WTF is bunging him up? He's still breast fed, but only sips water, he's on Lactulose twice a day but still has concrete poops! His poor bum bleeds and he screams each time he goes :'(

I'm so worried he's going to hurt himself or start holding it in :'( He eats EVERYTHING that should clear him out but nothing works, I'm so worried it's upsetting me :'( :'(
Formerly 'The Goblin'

Offline my3girlsjde

• Sometimes a superpower is simply surviving the chaos.....
  • Showing Appreciation 115
  • Reflux, sleep apnea and food allergies
« Reply #242 on: March 12, 2011, 21:54:03 pm »
Marsha - could you put sugar on anything he eats or boil sugar and water to make a syrup to drizzle on his food?
Vicki - nursing student and proud mother to three refluxers in two years

Remembering my sleeping angels: 17 Jan 06, 30 Jul 09

Offline Mrs Coops

• ~~Marsha~~
« Reply #243 on: March 12, 2011, 23:53:33 pm »
I have added sugar to some steamed apples. But not on anything else, how does excess sugar work?
Formerly 'The Goblin'

Offline Hester

• Showing Appreciation 28
  • Welcome to fall ;)
    • My Usana site
« Reply #244 on: March 13, 2011, 05:28:00 am »
Marsha I am sure you have been to the dr. but what have they said? Has he been tested for a variety of medical issues that can cause constipation? I don't want to worry you more, but I do think this is important.

My heart just aches for him and you, it's so sad when our LO's are in pain and especially when we don't know how to fix it! :'(

I am just going to mention some things, I am sure you have done these, but just in case there is a new one in there:

~ massage, preferrably by a registered massage therapist that has done babies before
~ chiropractor, with my DS2, his constipation was due to a turned in tailbone. Go to a chiropractor that does "torgue release". Very non invasive.
~ the usual, more fibre, more fluid, you've done the foods...
~ Epsom salt baths, the ones without fragrance, take him in the bath with you for skin to skin contact, which relaxes. It's gross when they go  :-X, but hey, relief will be instant... ::)

Anyway, these are some of the things I can think of for now!  :-*

As for Noah, this kid is eating like stink! Tonight he had a slice of bread with some babyfood on it (from a jar :-[ I bought one that I took to the park since I didn't want to deal with the BLW mess over there ::)) A slice of papaya, half a pita bread, some peas, some squash and then nursed before bed a TON!
Should be interesting with this one, I might have to stock up with three piggy boys in the house!

Offline Mrs Coops

• ~~Marsha~~
« Reply #245 on: March 13, 2011, 07:28:53 am »
Hester I didn't want to hijack this thread with bum issues so I answered you here
http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=187697.new#new
Thank you very much for your tips, they're greatly appreciated. x
Formerly 'The Goblin'

Offline bexandlucy

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #246 on: March 13, 2011, 09:59:21 am »
I have added sugar to some steamed apples. But not on anything else, how does excess sugar work?

Sugar works by osmosis, the sugar solution draws water into the bowel making the stool softer.

Thanks guys. I know really I just got to stop overthinking and follow her lead but I have very few friends BLW and mil and family really don't like my 'style' of weaning so are constantly criticising me grrr. Anyway. I'm stubborn! hehe. I shouldn't have worried. She seems to have taken a liking to hot cross buns and yesterday devoured meatballs and pasta so seems I was worrying for nothing.

I have also found that dried prunes are really good if shes a bit bunged up (perhaps a bit too good) she loves sucking the soft gooey bit and spitting out the skin.
 xxx
Bec

[/url]

Offline hjrmom01

• ~~Erin~~
  • My girls
« Reply #247 on: March 13, 2011, 17:58:08 pm »
My inlaws thought I was CRAZY when we did it with H. MIL just about had a heart attack any time I fed H over there, she thought she was going to choke.  ::) First time she ever did gag and cough MIL grabbed her from the high chair and started whacking her back  >:( Luckily, DH had my back on that one and took care of it.  :D

C has been doing great with not choking and moving the food around by herself. I'm afraid, though, that she's getting a rotten belly from what she's eating.  I think the only things she's actually ingested are pear, apple, and mum mums.  I am going to eliminate the mum mums and just stick with fruits and veggies.  She just seems SO hungry, like she's not getting satisfied from just gnawing. I'm contemplating making a few small batches of purees and giving some of those *with* the finger foods.

I have to find a recipe for teething biscuits or something of the like that she can gum and chew. All the ones I have found have dairy or soy or wheat.  Other than fruits and veggies, I don't know what to give her  ???

Offline ~inbalance~

• Showing Appreciation 272
« Reply #248 on: March 13, 2011, 18:17:53 pm »
Erin, don't mum mums have milk in them??
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012

Offline hjrmom01

• ~~Erin~~
  • My girls
« Reply #249 on: March 13, 2011, 19:25:01 pm »
not the ones that I have....I don't think?! :o ???  Oh crap, I'm going to feel like a FOOL if they do. I swear I read the ingredients and did not see anything milk related. But I will check again!

OMG OMG OMG  :o :o  >:( >:( :'( :'(
Just went and read the ingredients:

Japonica Rice,
Potato Starch, Sugar, Banana
Powder, Sea Salt, Natural
Banana Flavor.

Down further: May contain traces of milk.

In my hurry in the store I must have just read the ingredients and said "no milk!"  I'm a FOOL, FOOL!!!! Now I feel awful.   :'( :'(
« Last Edit: March 13, 2011, 19:33:55 pm by hjrmom01 »

Offline my3girlsjde

• Sometimes a superpower is simply surviving the chaos.....
  • Showing Appreciation 115
  • Reflux, sleep apnea and food allergies
« Reply #250 on: March 13, 2011, 19:47:02 pm »
Erin, it happens to the best of us. Some companies have that as a generic warning and some actually have traces.

If you go to the natural food section of your grocery store you can buy rice crackers that are just like mum mums without the milk or soy in them. I know they don't for sure as E can eat them and she's extremely sensitive. A mouthful of milk had her in eczema and hives for a day. They're also cheaper than mum mums and there's way more flavours. Watch the salt though. They're also made by 'Hot Kid'.
Vicki - nursing student and proud mother to three refluxers in two years

Remembering my sleeping angels: 17 Jan 06, 30 Jul 09

Offline ~inbalance~

• Showing Appreciation 272
« Reply #251 on: March 13, 2011, 21:07:32 pm »
Don't get mad at yourself Erin, it's SO hard to see every little warning.  She will be fine.  :-*
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012

Offline bakershaker

• Showing Appreciation 3
  • Mom of 3- Baker 12/07, Myla 03/10, Sawyer 03/14
« Reply #252 on: March 15, 2011, 17:00:35 pm »
Erin: I found the toddler mum mums ( strawberry flavour) didn't contain milk, but the baby mum mums did! My DD was MPI, and she could have the toddler mum mums with no issues:) Hope that helps!
Mommy to 3 beautiful little ones

Offline hjrmom01

• ~~Erin~~
  • My girls
« Reply #253 on: March 15, 2011, 19:42:26 pm »
Lisa, thank you!!!  I was going to check the toddler ones but I didn't know if they dissolved as easily as the baby ones or not??

We saw the ped today and she thinks we should take a break from solids as it is really bothering c's belly. We'll try again next week I guess.

Offline bakershaker

• Showing Appreciation 3
  • Mom of 3- Baker 12/07, Myla 03/10, Sawyer 03/14
« Reply #254 on: March 15, 2011, 20:05:24 pm »
Actually I find the toddler ones dissolve better! And they are shaped in a circle, so easier to eat in my opinion. I found with the baby mum mums shaped like rectangles, Baker would bite off a peice and it would be to big for him to move around in his mouth. I prefer the toddler ones:)
Mommy to 3 beautiful little ones