Author Topic: Baby Led Weaning Support Thread - Part 8  (Read 66685 times)

Offline *Amy*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 19
  • Originally from Ireland - Living in Dubai
Re: Baby Led Weaning Support Thread - Part 8
« Reply #255 on: March 20, 2011, 05:59:15 am »
Hi Ladies, been a while since I posted! BLW is going well
Cassie LOVES humous and guacamole LOL
I gave her some pork and she enjoyed sucking on that.
This morning she had some Brie and she also enjoyed that. She doesn't seem to be swallowing as much now as she did at the beginning, but she does seem to be still keen!
Strawberries are a def hit as are pears!
Do you toast the pita bread before you give it?

Offline Mrs Coops

• ~~Marsha~~
  • Showing Appreciation 43
  • Too busy to visit BW much, but still love it.
« Reply #256 on: March 23, 2011, 10:48:42 am »
Hi Amy, glad she's doing well. Pita bread is quite a difficult food when they haven't got teeth, as it's quite firm and takes some sucking to get anything from it. You could try it fresh and lightly toasted and see how she gets on? If anything you could use it toasted and either dip in in houmous for her or let her have a try and see what mess she makes ;D Warning, have camera at the ready!

J has turned into a total pig! He started with the child minder last week when I returned to work and is eating just about everything he is given, even a pickled onion has been gobbled!

I have put him dairy and egg free though for a trial to see if it helps with his bottom issues!
Formerly 'The Goblin'

Offline Jen114

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #257 on: March 24, 2011, 08:14:17 am »
Hi I am new here I just posed on feeding solids as my ds is completely refusing the spoon.

I have tried everything you possibly can!

Could you pls give me an idea how I should start blw? I am scared he will choke?

Any help please!

Offline Mrs Coops

• ~~Marsha~~
« Reply #258 on: March 25, 2011, 21:54:17 pm »
Hi Jen, welcome to BLW. How old is your LO?

The best foods I found were broccoli, potatos, cauliflower something that crumbles easily when they put it in their mouth. Broccoli needs cooking to the point where you can just pull the green bits off, cut them into chunks your LO can pick up.
 If you're worried about choking sit him in your lap for the first few meals, if anything to reassure you that you can help him if he needs it. Just have a cloth or two handy to clean up when he's done.
 Be prepared that they gag a lot in the early days and generally make a meal out of it, they're only truly choking if they're not making any noise at all.

Other food you can try is strips of tomato, cucumber, very ripe pears, banana and so on.

I hope that helps?

BLW is fun, but dam messy ;D
Formerly 'The Goblin'

Offline *Amy*

« Reply #259 on: March 26, 2011, 05:58:08 am »
going to make the famous sausage recipe today.
DD had some home made chicken burger at a BBQ yesterday and LOVED it!
She also had some tomato for the first time and swallowed loads (saw this morning LOL)
She is eating and swallowing strawberries as well.
ALso she ate almost a whole pear this morning.
Still refuses the spoon, I try every so often.
I got her a Doidy cup so going to start offering water now - I always forget!
I am getting the impression that she is beginning to know what she wants to eat and what she doesn't????
I offer her a rusk and she is not interested, I show her a strawberry and she gets super excited....am I imagining it??

Offline Mama Kate

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • Aussie mum of 2 sweet girls
« Reply #260 on: March 26, 2011, 06:05:27 am »
I don't think you are imagining it... I have had to stop giving DD strawberries.  I used to give her one or two at the end of a meal, then she stopped eating her meal and just waited for the strawberries.  I do NOT want a fussy eater on my hands so no more strawberries :(
Kate

Offline Mrs Coops

• ~~Marsha~~
« Reply #261 on: March 26, 2011, 13:09:10 pm »
Fads are normal though, we had to hide bananas for ages and refer to them as 'the yellow fruit' or S would go bonkers until she had one!

If strawberries are in, then keep plenty in stock! She'll go off them soon enough.
Formerly 'The Goblin'

Offline ~Emma~

• Showing Appreciation 221
  • And then there were 2.....
« Reply #262 on: March 27, 2011, 11:42:32 am »
hi ladies.

Currently doing a puree lunch but would love throw in a bit of BLW for good measure. Its all very new to me so bear with me. The bub can have pretty much what we have for dinner right? SO tonight its beef stew. OK or no?

She did have a bit of garlic bread with last nights dinner and gummed ot down to a mush just lovely! ALthough my heart was racing at the the thought of her choking.  ::)

Offline ~inbalance~

• Showing Appreciation 272
« Reply #263 on: March 27, 2011, 11:51:54 am »
Hi Emma!  I love seeing you pop up on threads I'm on!  ;)

D is 6mos already right?  You should be able to give her anything healthy you make for the family.  I know the thought of choking is scary, but it's actually very unlikely for an LO to choke.  They have reflux mechanisms to protect agaist this.  Gagging on the other hand is almost inevitable and very normal!  Try not to panic.  :)

Go slow!  There is no rush to get her eating a lot, it's all about having fun with food.

My boys both love strawberries, well fruit in general.  I don't hide anything or hold it back.  I find that sometimes with meals if I just put the fruit on the table, sure they will both eat that first but then they will go on to eat other parts of their meal too.  And there's nothing wrong with fruit, it's healthy! 
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012

Offline Hester

• Showing Appreciation 28
  • Welcome to fall ;)
    • My Usana site
« Reply #264 on: March 28, 2011, 04:23:32 am »
The only reason to hold back on foods is if you are either not comfortable with it or if there are food sensitivities in the family.

So for example, in my case, I am not ok with giving them meats before they are 1. Just my own feeling, I am not comfortable with it. I also stay away from citrus, berries, tomatoes and milk products, since the other two boys have sensitivities to those.

If there are no sensitivities and you are comfortable with the foods you're making, go ahead, there's no limit :).

Offline *Amy*

« Reply #265 on: March 28, 2011, 05:43:02 am »
I too love seeing Emma on the threads - esp when you type with your accent :) I tend to read them with a Scottish accent - a rather bad one at that LOL

So this morning Cassie had
Cheerios - pincer grip is good!
toast - sucked
Broccoli - sucked and swallowed a little
Tomatos - ate
Pineapple - ate and swallowed
Strawberry - ate and swallowed completely
Sweet potato - sucked
Carrot - sucked
Banana - sucked and ate until it fell from her hand - then she got too frustrated!
She isn't gagging anymore- at least she hasn't in a few days!
Any one have any tricks on getting them to eat potatos???

Offline ~Emma~

« Reply #266 on: March 28, 2011, 07:43:11 am »
Aw Thanks My Lovely Ladies!  :-*

Last night I didn't give her any of the stew as it was made with a stock cube ( too salty maybe?) and also had beer in it! I gave her cucumber sticks at first and then some carrot and a big dollop of mashed potato which she loved! I think she ate quite a bit of it actually but she was certainly happy mushing it all up in her hands.

Its great as it its her fussy time when have dinner but this seems to keep her amused and its very funny watching her try so hard to pick up the bits of food with her podgy wee hands.  :)

Offline Mrs Coops

• ~~Marsha~~
« Reply #267 on: March 28, 2011, 08:13:15 am »
Hi Emma the stew would have been ok as she probably wouldn't have eaten that much anyway, plus a stock cube is mixed with 190ml water to make quite a salty stock for anyone but mixed into a huge stew would have watered it down. As for the beer I'm quite sure the alcohol is burnt off in the cooking process leaving only the flavour (someone correct here if I'm wrong)

I never worried about anything I gave S, she guzzled the lot down (and still does) As for J I've only held back on the dairy products, everything else is fair game. He loves meat, initially I gave it in long strips for him to hold and suck the juices, now I cut it into tiny pea size pieces so he can just swallow it down as any foods he can't 'eat' straight away get thrown!
Formerly 'The Goblin'

Offline ~Emma~

« Reply #268 on: March 28, 2011, 08:29:50 am »
Well tonight its Swedish meatballs. Not too sure whether or not she should have it. We dont normally eat so much meat but we are packing up the house and emptying the freezer dregs! HAving it with broccolli so she'll be having some of that for sure and more mash!

Amy have you tried mash pots with her? Messy but fun!

Offline *Amy*

« Reply #269 on: March 28, 2011, 09:43:15 am »
Yes mashed potatoes are a winner here too! I try and form them in to mush bricks if that makes sense! she will try and eat as much as possible and then suck them off the table LOL!

I am finding though now that all of my pics of her are of her completely covered in food!!!