Author Topic: Baby Led Weaning Support Thread - Part 8  (Read 66647 times)

Offline ~inbalance~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 272
Re: Baby Led Weaning Support Thread - Part 8
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2011, 00:31:03 am »
F is really starting to get the hang of it now.  Some of them just take a little longer to get going.  :)
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012

Offline bug_blues70

• Showing Appreciation 25
« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2011, 01:11:33 am »
not much out the other end so trying to keep it stodge free!

You've probably had tons upon tons of suggestions and tried everything, but white grape juice always seems to work really well for Ellen. I only give her an ounce or two and it seems to help...

Megan

Offline Mrs Coops

• ~~Marsha~~
  • Showing Appreciation 43
  • Too busy to visit BW much, but still love it.
« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2011, 08:06:56 am »
Cheers Megan. Yes the lovely ladies on the birth clubs have given lots of tips. Today is day 8 :o He's happy, sleeping well (well last night anyway) and feeding normally (for him) he just has a very inactive bottom right now!

It's obviously bothering me as I was having all sorts of weird dreams last night! More laxative foods and massage today!
Formerly 'The Goblin'

Offline bug_blues70

« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2011, 19:40:14 pm »
Wow!! Day 8??? Are you thinking about taking him to the Dr? Good luck, I hope it starts up soon! I'd be worried too!!!

Lisa - was going to tell you, I think maybe you're right about the texture thing you mentioned... or maybe it's just my cooking... haha!! ;D but we've started back up on baby food b/c she will eat it when she won't eat other stuff. She's doesn't eat much of that either tho, so it might also be the teething I keep suspecting, but I'm surely starting to wonder about texture too.

Megan

Offline ~Sarah~

• Showing Appreciation 59
  • The Moo/Bean Combo
« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2011, 21:38:50 pm »
Marsha-how are we doing on poo watch 2011??

Thanks again ladies who offered to help with the research.  I guess it will not work as there is VERY specific criteria so it counts toward the research.  But I guess if you think of anyone just starting, let me know :)

Offline Mrs Coops

• ~~Marsha~~
« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2011, 04:59:59 am »
Yay he pooped twice yesterday. A small one, then slightly bigger a few hours later :D They were a little sticky (sorry bad subject) so I guess a little bunged up. Hopefully the fruit will help him on his way. I've introduced dairy to my diet so maybe he's just adjusting to that.

Well he's going on eBay now, the night waking lottery is seriously p1ssing me off now :'( He better start eating properly soon!
Formerly 'The Goblin'

Offline Kimberlina

• Showing Appreciation 26
« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2011, 09:04:11 am »
Oh girl. You can post "2 Jacks for the price of 1" if you'd like. I can't count the NWs and he's been crying ALL DAY. :(

Re: poo watch... I was going to ask if you were giving "growing up milk" formula...but remembered that you're incredible and still bf-ing! Nevermind! The growing up milk bungs J right up...
♥ Kim

Offline Mrs Coops

• ~~Marsha~~
« Reply #37 on: January 15, 2011, 09:11:56 am »
Kim he's more breast fed than anything right now, I swear he tries to suck me dry some nights!

I just keep telling myself it's BLW proper this time! S was on formula during the days by now & I tweaked her routine with solids to do that. It looks like he may have to suffer 'cold turkey' when I return to work in two months!!!
Formerly 'The Goblin'

Offline *Liz*

• Showing Appreciation 394
  • Living beyond
« Reply #38 on: January 15, 2011, 10:02:32 am »
Marsha - don't shoot me for this - but have you thought of trying something on a spoon?? Not pureed baby dinner that I know you HATE - but something we all eat off a spoon anyway - like ready brek or something. I want to suggest yoghurt but I don't know how far you are in to dairy yet.

He might just have some textural issues and prefer to try this way. You could move very quickly to him feeding himself a preloaded spoon if he liked it.

I've partially BLW'd 2 children - it took Jacob until he was over 12 mths to eat anything other than toast and rice crackers. He wouldn't even pick up anything wet or slimy until he was closer to 15 mths - so no fruit, no veggies. He would chew on meat earlier than that. I think he started with fish fingers at about 12 mths as well. But that obviously meant night feeds (and he was FF by then as well). Megan is totally different - she will pick up anything and try to eat it! Anything at all - small, slimy, strange, whatever, in it goes.

That is partly why I have offered 2 different types of feeding to both of them - although I have never been one to puree a cottage pie - yuck! As you know Jacob never took to spoon feeding either - but he did have a little bit. Mainly fruit purees - but the feeding team said even little tastes of things are good to help develop their taste buds and increase their curiosity about the whole process. But I guess J is getting enough from BLW to do that.

Although I guess the issue might actually be the distracted BFing rather than the solids.

It gets really tough at this age when they are still waking a lot at night. I know!!

Offline Mrs Coops

• ~~Marsha~~
« Reply #39 on: January 15, 2011, 11:05:19 am »
Cheers Liz, I'm always open to suggestion. SA has finally arrived in full force so I'm thinking now the long nw'ings are partly due to the onset of that, having never suffered it with S it takes you by surprise!

DH fed him solids this morning and I think he had a fair go at it. I do hold some foods so he can have a suck on it when he struggles to pick it up. I will introduce some food on a spoon as and when we have it and see how he does.
Formerly 'The Goblin'

Offline ~Sarah~

• The Moo/Bean Combo
« Reply #40 on: January 15, 2011, 16:03:20 pm »
El is a few months ahead, but she is loving feeding herself with a spoon/fork.  I preload for her and she even dipped her spoon into yogurt yesterday and fed herself. ::)  But, if I give her a bowl of something, she throws it to the floor.  I really think we have teething issues as she has become a fussy eater.

Glad about the poo Marsha.  I hope that you get J's feeding worked out (and NW's too)

Offline bug_blues70

« Reply #41 on: January 16, 2011, 02:22:46 am »
Yeah, Ellen is starting to like her fork now too!! I have to help her spear things and then she gets it to her mouth herself and is so proud of herself ;D I'm just completely surprised she lets me help her - with *everything* else it's either I do it completely or she does it completely. If she's trying something and I move to help her, she'll back off completely and refuse to even try anymore. But she'll let me put my hand over hers to guide her fork.

Yay for the poo, Marsha!!

Megan

Offline Kimberlina

• Showing Appreciation 26
« Reply #42 on: January 16, 2011, 09:45:19 am »
Had spaghetti bolognese last night... went down a storm! ...but you should have seen the nappy this morning!  :o  :-X
♥ Kim

Offline ~Sarah~

• The Moo/Bean Combo
« Reply #43 on: January 16, 2011, 17:29:26 pm »
DH gave El grapes yesterday...holy mess today!!

Offline *Liz*

• Showing Appreciation 394
  • Living beyond
« Reply #44 on: January 16, 2011, 19:52:25 pm »
Megan is being a bit grumpy with it all this weekend - I think she is working on her top 2 teeth now though.

Question - what do you ladies do to help constipation along?? We are really struggling here (and TBH always have done - she has always been very irregular).