Author Topic: Baby Led Weaning Support Thread - Part 8  (Read 66666 times)

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: Baby Led Weaning Support Thread - Part 8
« Reply #315 on: July 05, 2011, 07:46:05 am »
Hi again.
All going quite well I think.
Does anyone have any tips about how to dress/cover LO during a messy feed?
I had thought about getting one of those plastic coverall type things but I now think that they are perhaps better suited to babies who are being fed by the parent as I don't see how he would have enough flexibility to move properly in one and get food to mouth.

The past two days I haven't even bothered with a bib as the mess is everywhere, especially with porridge (although he dropped fewer spoons today so much less gunk on the floor) so I've left him in his pjs and then strip him off when he's finished eating.  Later when he had lunch I had to strip him off and change him again.  Is this what others do?  Any tips?  Is it just because it's very early days?

I must also add that although the weather has been lovely here the last few days it is really not warm enough for me to strip him down to nappy whilst he eats.

Offline Hedgehog17

• Showing Appreciation 71
« Reply #316 on: July 05, 2011, 08:23:22 am »
Hiya,

We use sleeved bibs from Tesco - they have cotton sleeves and a cotton-covered plastic front, DS can move fine in them and I only have to wash his hands and face after a meal  :)

Offline creations

« Reply #317 on: July 05, 2011, 08:37:15 am »
Oh that sounds great, thank you!

Offline creations

« Reply #318 on: July 05, 2011, 13:20:27 pm »
Sorry, I keep asking questions...
for lunch today we had pasta in a tomato sauce and some veggies.
All went well apart from he seemed upset that I was eating my pasta with a fork whilst expecting him to use his fingers.  I was trying to show him that my pasta and his pasta were exactly the same thing but it was the fork he wanted.  Should I be giving him a baby fork even though he is so young?  I'm a bit worried about him poking himself with the prongs.  Should I perhaps eat with my fingers to show him it's ok?

He almost never puts toys in his mouth and has certainly made a distinction between toys and food.  The spoon I tried to give him the other day was a plastic baby spoon he was most annoyed that I'd handed him a 'toy' he didn't see it as a spoon at all and didn't recognize what was on it as food.  Once I gave him a metal teaspoon he knew exactly what he was doing.  I can't give him an adult fork though.  Any advice?

sorry to be asking so much!!

Offline ~inbalance~

• Showing Appreciation 272
« Reply #319 on: July 06, 2011, 00:57:47 am »
I wouldn't give him a metal adult fork yet but maybe you can find one that isn't too baby looking?  I have a set that has plastic handles but the fork is metal, but it's kinda roundish and not sharp so it is safe.
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012

Offline creations

« Reply #320 on: July 06, 2011, 08:52:05 am »
Thank you Martina.  I still feel a bit worried about using even a baby metal spoon, I just think he's going to ram it in his eye by accident!  I'm going to get a set of baby cutlery that doesn't look too babyish and see how that goes.  Will just have to watch carefully with the fork! (not that I don't already watch carefully - this BLW has you holding your breath whilst smiling encouragingly).

Offline Mrs Coops

• ~~Marsha~~
  • Showing Appreciation 43
  • Too busy to visit BW much, but still love it.
« Reply #321 on: July 06, 2011, 09:23:42 am »
Hey Kim how is your Jack doing now?

Hi Creations, welcome to BLW. I would say it sounds like you have a little pig on your hands, I know my DD was/ still is a pig! She 'ate' from day one whereas DS took from 6-9 months to figure out how to eat. We had to 'feed' DD solids properly within weeks of starting, she cried for solid food. By time she was one she had no more milk during the day only a 5oz bottle for breakfast and breast fed at bedtime! Even though DS was a slow starter he was the same, no milk feeds during the day by one year, just morning and bedtime breast feeds!

Enjoy it, go with it, and try not to worry about allergies, choking and all that. I have given DS seeded bread (Tescos finest loaves) since he started on solids with no issues, some people say it's more an allergy risk than a choking risk. I would say as long as there is no history of allergies in your family crack on. We gave DD EVERYTHING but DS is a little more delicate! Both of mine have gagged when something has gone down the wrong hole and both have learnt to deal with it quickly.

As for cutlery, we learnt very early on that DS would not eat something different from us, likewise he just had to have something shiny like us! He would go crazy if he didn't have a fork or spoon so we gave him one! We started with the melamine sets, but they're just not shiny so gave him one of DD's old Tommee Tippee forks. He could stab and eat food with it by 11 months!!!!! Obviously we watched him like a hawk to make sure he didn't stab himself with it.

We use the long sleeve bibs mostly from Mothercare, but avoid the toweling cheaper ones as the food sticks to it and is a right pain! We strap DS into the highchair first and then put the bib on over the straps (or they get destroyed). We also put a rubbery pelican bib on him as he has a tendancy to spit out anything he doesn't like so this catches the fall out! We have a £10 splash mat (also from Mothercare) under the highchair which catches most of what drops on the floor. Then use cheap flannels for the facial clean up which go in bleach once in a while for a good clean!

{{{{Huggles}}}} Bex, how is she doing now? Just curious is she gaining weight, healthy, meeting her milestones and all that? Does she show any interest in you when your eating? Have you tried feeding her in different places? So let her eat an apple while she's playing or anything like that? If I'm busy I'll put a handful of raisins in one of J's toy dump trucks, he'll happily play taking them in and out of it eating them as he goes. Since he's sprouted top teeth he loves apples, he'll sit in his push chair for about 45 minutes eating one! He also loves to 'scavange' my food, I always eat my breakfast sat on the sofa and he'll stand there waiting to be fed. I feel like a mother bird sometimes with my two kids stood there mouths open waiting to be fed!!!!!

Formerly 'The Goblin'

Offline creations

« Reply #322 on: July 06, 2011, 10:04:24 am »
Thanks for the advice and support Marsha.  yes he does seem very keen!
We went out for dinner yesterday (early to suit his BT) and as soon as he saw the table he was fussing for food!  We had to wait for the high chair to be brought to us and during that wait he was on my knee, reaching forwards to the table and started banging his hands on the place mat and smacking his lips :)
I took veggies with us so he could have a no salt version of dinner but I did let him have a piece of beef from his Nana's plate.  He had a good go at it, munching and sucking, I'm sure a substantial amount was actually eaten.

I've found that he has to have milk straight after a solid feed.  I am giving him water during the solids and he is not due a milk feed when we sit down for solids (solids approx 1 hr after milk and he usually has milk every 3 hrs, due to reflux he's never managed a 4 hr EASY, we stayed on 3hr) but he really wants milk straight after.
Is this normal? 
Should I go with it (which is what I have done so far but it's only been a few days) or should I just give water and wait until his next normal feed time for the milk?

Sorry I have so many questions!

Offline creations

« Reply #323 on: July 06, 2011, 19:40:28 pm »
Sorry - it's me again.  DS threw up today, four times.  I'm confused by it.  Since he started on reflux meds a week ago he hasn't been sick at all.  The first time was after having a little munch on banana which he didn't seem all that keen on tbh although he did try it several times.  Many hours later he was sick twice after eating almost a full quarter of raw but very soft juicy pear.  The last time was at his BT milk so no solids.  Could this be a reaction to banana or pear (but I thought both these foods were good ones for LO's, esp pear) or am I seeing a link where there isn't one? possibly more reflux or just over full?

Also he hasn't pooped properly today.  Do you think he might be bunged up from porridge?  Should I skip porridge for a few days and see how he goes?

Sorry I'm asking so much.  It is all enjoyable but all very new to me.

Offline Hedgehog17

• Showing Appreciation 71
« Reply #324 on: July 07, 2011, 08:34:44 am »
Hi,

Are you introducing more than one new food in a day?

If you want to test for reactions, you need to give only one new food for 3 days before introducing another. It's also best not to combine food at first as sometimes the combination can upset them.

There is plenty of time to introduce new foods, so take it slow  :)

Offline creations

« Reply #325 on: July 07, 2011, 09:51:52 am »
Are you introducing more than one new food in a day?
Yes I have done but yesterday there weren't any new foods.  He'd had a little taste of banana another day (didn't seem keen then either, think I'll stop the banana) and has happily had steamed pear (it was a hardish one so I steamed a bit) on another day but yesterdays was raw pear, that was the only difference.

I'll slow down a bit and see what happens.  You're right, there is plenty of time (he's just SO keen on everything).

Offline Mrs Coops

• ~~Marsha~~
  • Showing Appreciation 43
  • Too busy to visit BW much, but still love it.
« Reply #326 on: July 07, 2011, 14:00:00 pm »
I never did the one food every three days, that's aimed at purée's as the food is already broken down so digested much easier before they're bodies are ready. With BLW they have to chew/ suck the food and actually digest it themselves! If you have known allergies then maybe slow down.
 It may be that he got a slight upset tummy and his body just rejected what it didn't like! I'd give him a few days and try them again.

Has he pooped yet? This is one area to watch! I have two opposites in that area, S poops happily up to three times a day and it's always on the loose side (sorry TMI) J poops once a day if we're lucky and it's like a brick! He's on Lactulose twice a day and still off dairy :-\
Formerly 'The Goblin'

Offline MommaBrooke

• Showing Appreciation 14
« Reply #327 on: July 07, 2011, 15:21:09 pm »
Banana will flare up reflux for some, but not for others.  I think it depends on the baby, L was always fine with banana, but we had trouble with some more acidic foods like apple sauce (I couldn't let her have as much as she wanted because it just gave her troubles).  There is a list somewhere of foods that are better to start with reflux babes, but you should definitely pay attention to how you LOs reflux is acting with all the different foods :)

Offline creations

« Reply #328 on: July 07, 2011, 21:57:51 pm »
Has he pooped yet?
Yes!  I decided we'd skip porridge this morning but actually he pooped during/after his milk so I was no longer worried (and tmi very full nappy not hard in the least) but still decided to skip the porridge.  He had melon, baked apple wedges and yogurt instead.  Only the yogurt was new today.  he enjoyed the foods but afterwards kept asking for food, think he missed the porridge.  He then only had a 40 min nap rather than the 2 hr nap he's had the last 4 days of porridge breakfast.  He continued to keep asking for food, I gave milk which he wasn't best pleased about.
Later he had a full milk feed (left just enough that I knew he was full) but kept asking for food again (really smacking his lips), he was a little sick a few times and I got the feeling he was actually overfull and the excess was coming up.  At baby group (just after the milk feed) he asked for food again, I gave a little drink of water thinking perhaps that's what he wanted rather than food, he took a little then threw it up.

Banana will flare up reflux for some
more acidic foods like apple sauce
I didn't know this.  Thanks for the info and I'll watch out now.  I suppose the baked apple wedges could have been too acidic.
I've kept a list of what food he's had and what reaction if any, like when he's been a bit sick.

The rest of today I decided not to give more fruit or veg so he just had a baby (sugar salt free) rice cake as it seemed mean to introduce him to food and then not let him have any!  He woke up after BT which he never does and it sounded like pain, he's usually very gassy but he didn't let any out when I went to him.

I expected some sleep disturbance and some time to adjust to foods etc.  Just really surprised by the sick reaction to banana/pear...and maybe apple although apple was fine the other days.

I read the thread on foods for constipation yesterday and have now got some prunes and apricots in case he starts to bung up.  I'll look out for the reflux weaning foods info too.

Thanks!

Offline Papaya

• Showing Appreciation 79
    • It's a dangerous thing, stepping out your front door...
« Reply #329 on: July 20, 2011, 02:29:22 am »
Hi all,

I just started BLW with my six month old DD and we're both really enjoying it so far. We're on day six and have so far had steamed carrot sticks, well-cooked brown rice, banana, potato and baked apple - all of which have been attacked gleefully, and I think a fair bit is actually getting down, to my surprise! We haven't encountered any real problems yet, but there are a few things I'm curious about and wondered if anyone could help.

So we obviously haven't followed the "three-day" rule - I understood strict BLW theory says this isn't necessary, or am I wrong? I've been introducing a new food every one-two days and haven't noticed any bad reactions, but I don't want to be moving too fast (tempting as it is to let her try all sorts of things...) - what do others think? There's no history of food allergies in either side of the family, but I do have asthma and hayfever which I think some advice says can be related.

For the past week her first awake time of the day seems to have been a bit shorter than usual. It's always the shortest A time of the day, but I've found this week that she's suddenly quite OT at the normal time so I've started putting her down 10 minutes earlier which has done the trick. Seems a bit odd, but I wondered if breakfast requires her to concentrate more than she used to first thing in the morning, and she just needs time to get used to that?? Anyone else experience anything similar when introducing BLW?

Just wanted to say too that I'm amazed at the improvement in her hand-eye coordination and pincer grip, already. This morning she was picking up quite small bits of mushed apple that had broken off, and getting them in her mouth first try. I'm sure she couldn't have done that a week ago. If I had had any doubts that BLW has advantages over puree feeding, that would have silenced them!
*Nuala*