Author Topic: Baby Led Weaning Support Thread - Part 8  (Read 66671 times)

Offline DSAN

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
Re: Baby Led Weaning Support Thread - Part 8
« Reply #330 on: July 21, 2011, 05:23:39 am »
Hello BLWers!!

DS will be 6mos on the 24th, and we're planning on starting solids soon, just wondering what you introduced first, and how often?

I'm excited to get started! DS is grabbing at all my food now, and I've been letting him take sips of water from my cup. I think he's going to love trying foods... he has that sort of personality :)

Looking forward to reading along and learning from you all! Any other tips for a 1st time mom and BLWer?
Heather, Mommy to Dylan

Offline Mrs Coops

• ~~Marsha~~
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 43
  • Too busy to visit BW much, but still love it.
« Reply #331 on: July 21, 2011, 14:30:20 pm »
Hi DSAN and welcome to BLW. Sorry I don't have much time to post right now but if you get a chance there are quite a few entries on this thread about what foods are good. Anything stick shaped, be it bread, veggies or fruit. Broccoli is great as are tomatoes and cucumber strips, but it's all about trial and error. If you have no allergy issues just try everything and see how he gets on. I started with banana with both of mine DD loved it DS just got all in a pickle and upset! Be prepared for any kind of reaction!!!

Right best I get back to work.
Formerly 'The Goblin'

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #332 on: July 21, 2011, 19:34:17 pm »
Just to prove all LOs are different my LO has rejected broccoli, cucumber and banana!  Asparagus was a bit hit (and automatically the right shape) other big hits are nectarines and apricots.  Baked wedges of potato, sweet potato, apple all go down well.  My LO isn't too keen on mushy stuff that goes all over his hands instead of in his mouth, hummous he will eat tons of but it has to be loaded spoons or on toast not a dollop on his tray.  He has eaten banana twice now but not 'raw' - yesterday I made the 'no egg eggy bread' (whizz banana and milk together and dip bread in then fry) which was lovely and today he had toasted brioche with mashed banana and yogurt topping.

Had our first reaction today - I sprinkles garam masala on potato wedges before baking.  He ate several and seemed to enjoy them, then cried and I wasn't sure if it was the potato or just fed up of being in his high chair.  Then I noticed red hive type blotches around his mouth and on his hands/arms...must be where the garam masala touched him.  Once I'd got him down from the high chair he was happier and when I washed his hands and face he was fine, the blotches were reduced or gone by BT a couple of hours later.

Offline bug_blues70

• Showing Appreciation 25
« Reply #333 on: July 22, 2011, 00:52:56 am »
I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Just feels like she's got no appetite, but I'm worried now she's not getting enough nourishment Shocked(

My DD never ever wanted to eat either. I had to drop bottles cold turkey after she turned one to get her to finally eat. Now she still doesn't eat much and I'm always worried she's not getting enough, but I'm starting to get it that she just doesn't need to eat much. She still takes 16ish oz per day (sometimes less) and she is eating more than ever. Sometimes it just takes time and as long as they are growing fine, try not to worry (easier said than done I know!). Sometimes (esp while teething) my DD still hardly eats anything all day, other days she eats a lot. How much FF or BM are you still giving your LO? Now that she is 1 you can go down to 16 or so ounces and she'll probably start eating more. You're not doing anything wrong - just keep offering and don't try to force it. She'll eat when she's hungry. Big hugs!!!

Megan

Offline DSAN

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #334 on: July 22, 2011, 03:05:41 am »
Hi DSAN and welcome to BLW. Sorry I don't have much time to post right now but if you get a chance there are quite a few entries on this thread about what foods are good. Anything stick shaped, be it bread, veggies or fruit. Broccoli is great as are tomatoes and cucumber strips, but it's all about trial and error. If you have no allergy issues just try everything and see how he gets on. I started with banana with both of mine DD loved it DS just got all in a pickle and upset! Be prepared for any kind of reaction!!!

Right best I get back to work.

Thanks! Yeah I've looked through some/most of the posts... just wondering what everyone started with FIRST so thank you for your reply re: banana :)

I'm still not sure where I want to start... I was thinking maybe Avocado as we eat a lot of that in this house, but not sure if it would be to hard to pick up. Maybe something like zucchini would be better? Easier to grasp?

Does anyone here do kind of a combo with feeding purees with a spoon and BLW?

I'm so excited to get started! I think he's gonna love food... I went out for lunch today and he was grabbing for everything! I let him have sips of my water and he just loves it!
Heather, Mommy to Dylan

Offline creations

« Reply #335 on: July 22, 2011, 11:22:16 am »
Heather, I also thought our first food would be avocado but it didn't turn out that way.  We kind of started by 'accident' in that I had been secretly eating for a few weeks due to DS getting so upset if he saw me with food.  One day (still about 2 wks before he was 6 months and I planned on waiting until the actual 6 month date) he'd just had his milk and I incorrectly thought I'd be safe to have a bite to eat - wrong - he was really angry so I let him have a suck on a piece of melon, which I also had to hold for him which was also not what I had planned!  Tried to keep him away from food for the rest of the 2 wks but circumstances didn't allow so we sort of fell into weaning instead of the 'big start' that I thought would happen.

As for slippery avocado - I give DS long wedges with the skin still on, the skin helps him to grip and it tends to stay in one piece when he puts it in his mouth and gums on the flesh.  I give him other things with the skin left on too, sometimes he eats the skin (and I hold my breath in case it gets caught!) and often he doesn't.

The things he has found easiest to grip so far are backed potato, sweet potato and apple wedges because the outside is quite dry but the inside is soft.  Toast fingers are good for gripping (with cream cheese, with hummous, eggy bread), asparagus and steamed carrot batons, all good grippers.  He's only been going a few weeks but already his grip has massively improved and even slippery nectarine wedges are handled efficiently as are whole prunes, sometimes I hold the item up for him if he can't get it off his tray and starts to get frustrated (tends to be after his hands have become wet and slippery).

I don't do purees but there are 'mushy foods' he eats from a loaded spoon, porridge, hummous, yogurt.

Offline bexandlucy

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #336 on: July 23, 2011, 07:37:10 am »
Megan thank you, its really nice to hear reassurance that it isn't just me! She seems to go right off food when she's teething as well, but at the best of times for Lucy it feels like food is enjoyable but a eating is a bit of an inconvenience getting in the way of other stuff she'd rather be doing. She's still breastfed so I'm not sure what she's getting, she has 3 feeds a day at the moment.

Marsha - we're doing ok, thanks for the huggles! I'm trying really hard to not worry and just go with the flow with it all!

Yes, she's stayed smack bang on her centile and seems to be healthy and developing well. She seems to have 'favourite' foods and isn't too keen on trying new stuff, but stuff she's eaten and loved she'll suddenly go off. Lumps really aren't an issue, but she likes mushy food that she can grab in handfuls and shovel in, like cottage or fish pie, risotto, saucy stuff with rice and I can put anything in those and she'll eat it (i put loads of veggies in, chopped and chunky) and she's fine. But if I were to give her those veggies in sticks she'd throw them on the floor (the exception being broccoli and cauliflower which she loves). Different places, yeah, she's ok, but if she's not strapped into the hightchair she wants to wander around while she's eating smearing it everywhere (the exception being when tv is on but I don't want to get into that habit really!) She loves raisins too! If I were to give her an apple or large fruit she would throw it around, I've tried eating off it myself and trying to get her interest but not happening! Maybe I'll try it with her in the pushchair, not thought of that. Fruit and veg is my main concern, she's a bit of a carb fiend - loves potato and pasta!

Hi Heather - our first food was banana - I left the skin on so she could hold it, chopped it in half then sliced each half in quarters lengthways (skin still on) so she had little sticks of banana with skin on (does that make sense?) we also tried broccoli very eary - made her gag (It was the one and only time - but she dealt with it and loved it ever since!) and I remember her having a whole strawberry very very early on - I got a lot of stick for this but she loved it, probably the first thing she ever really 'ate'.

I don't do purees either but for breakfast she always has weetabix or ready brek with fruit mashed in, mostly because she isn't keen on toast and I wanted to ensure she had something that was fortified with some vitamins (my babe isn't a hungry monkey) but really that isn't something you need to think about yet. I've spooned this to her (I have carpet in my kitchen - say no more) but now she's starting to feed herself with the spoon - its going gradually. But she's always been one to grab hold of the spoon - she likes to control it herself.

I'm so glad I did BLW - Lucy is so fussy I think if I had gone down the route of purees that we'd be having big problems now with her trying new stuff and textures etc!
Bec

[/url]

Offline DSAN

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #337 on: July 23, 2011, 20:27:25 pm »
Thank you ladies! Sounds like bananas are a popular 1st choice. I would have never thought to leave the skin on! But I love that with BLW you can start anywhere. I've gotten some disapproval for telling people we are skipping rice cereal (but don't they need the extra iron?! Lol), let alone purées all together. Even DH is a bit skeptical but he'll come around. We went out for brunch today, and DH was shocked that Dylan kept reaching for his water glass. He's been away for 3 weeks and can't believe how interesting DS finds things that are going into mommy and daddy's mouths!

I'm excited to start! Went to buy a highchair yesterday so we could start today, but the store we went to had a fire recently! So we'll try and get one on Monday or something.

I'm so glad I did BLW - Lucy is so fussy I think if I had gone down the route of purees that we'd be having big problems now with her trying new stuff and textures etc!

This is one of the reasons I've decided to try BLW. I worked as a nanny to put myself through university (did a degree in nutrition, actually), and one little one I looked after got stuck on purées, and then his little sister refused them so we just started her on finger foods. It went SO much better!

Heather, Mommy to Dylan

Offline baileyscommet

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #338 on: July 24, 2011, 12:36:03 pm »
Hi, My lo is 24 weeks and 3 days. He is definately ready to eat and has been for a while (he reaches for everything I have when I'm eating or drinking, he puts his hands to his mouth when we eat as a family, he has three teeth etc.....) I want to try BLW so should I wait until he is 26 weeks or could I start now? Also, what are the best things to start babies with?

Offline creations

« Reply #339 on: July 24, 2011, 20:07:56 pm »
Hi, I was determined to wait until the full 6 months (or 26 wks) but it didn't work out that way and we began at 24 wks (I'd been eating in secret for several weeks it made him so upset to see me with food).  I still tried not to offer too much for those couple of weeks really but my LO was asking for solids constantly (even straight after milk) and he began actually eating (not just playing and exploring) immediately.  We very quickly went to 3 meals per day (although by 'meal' I mean offered solids, not a plate full of food) which I wasn't expecting.  You'll just have to follow your LO's cues I think.

Offline Papaya

• Showing Appreciation 79
    • It's a dangerous thing, stepping out your front door...
« Reply #340 on: July 30, 2011, 07:57:05 am »
Hi all,

I've been doing BLW with my little one for a little over two weeks now and we're going great - she's enjoying a wide range of foods (so far banana, brown rice, carrot sticks, potato, pumpkin and apple wedges, broccoli, and chunks of beef to suck on). We've had a little bit of gagging but not much. However today at lunch I gave her a piece of chicken, which she was happily sucking on until she started gagging, and instead of just gagging once or twice and moving on, as usual, she gagged three or four times and then sort of threw up (a fair amount of milk, and a bit of chicken!). This happened twice. She didn't seem to be very phased by it but it rattled me a little! I haven't read about this, so just wondering is it common at the start, like the gagging?

Thanks for your help!
*Nuala*

Offline Hedgehog17

• Showing Appreciation 71
« Reply #341 on: July 30, 2011, 10:32:28 am »
Very common!

DS did this a few times when he was younger, but he hasn't for a while as they do get more used to swallowing and learn not to take such big chunks of food down!

If LO is struggling you can pat her back to help her cough up the food  :)

Offline Hester

• Showing Appreciation 28
  • Welcome to fall ;)
    • My Usana site
« Reply #342 on: July 30, 2011, 14:43:58 pm »
Very normal, but don't pat on the back! If the food is in the wrong hole, you might accidently pat it down instead of up. As long as they're gagging their body is doing it's job of getting the food out. Just let them do it on their own.

Offline creations

« Reply #343 on: July 30, 2011, 19:29:47 pm »
DS has done that several times too (no milk though just a chunk of food), it's always when he swallows a piece thats way too big, like a whole prune (why he swallowed it whole I have no idea as he'd eaten several on other days in a very well mannered way taking a little at a time), once it's back up he is usually willing to give it another go straight away.  I usually 'ignore' it or just say well done for managing.  I always offer some water after a gag or after a big swallow that goes down but was kind of big.  For this purpose I have a bottle of water as I know he can get as much as he needs to help food down etc where as the cup he is not good at yet so I don't want to deny him the drink he needs.

Would be worth attending a child first aid course or watch some on line to see what to do with an actual choke (head should be lower than body to get object moving forwards and down to avoid patting into wrong hole like pp said)

Offline Papaya

• Showing Appreciation 79
    • It's a dangerous thing, stepping out your front door...
« Reply #344 on: July 31, 2011, 03:35:07 am »
Thanks everyone for the quick responses, good to know it's normal! About to try our first lunch out since starting BLW. Highchairs in restaurants are unheard of where we live in rural Thailand so we'll see how she goes on my knee...could be messy...  :)  I'll take some food for her as they add copious amounts of sugar and MSG to almost everything here!
*Nuala*