Author Topic: Baby Led Weaning Support Thread - Part 8  (Read 66694 times)

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: Baby Led Weaning Support Thread - Part 8
« Reply #345 on: July 31, 2011, 19:04:49 pm »
You might want to look into getting one of those fabric harness type things that goes on any chair to keep LO safe on a chair.  They don't raise the height so she wouldn't be able to reach the table unfortunately but you might be able to hand her an item at a time?  Or fill a pelican bib with finger foods and let her dip into it herself?  Perhaps crazy ideas, but just ideas.
I have never used one so can't say if they are good or not (maybe whizz over to hoggwatch and ask for reviews?) and there are likely different sorts if you google it but here's an example:

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=travel+high+chair&hl=en&client=ubuntu&hs=Qtw&channel=fs&prmd=ivns&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&biw=1280&bih=804&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=12069280060737672807&sa=X&ei=tqY1Toy3IMih8QOSoIChDg&ved=0CIEBEPMCMAA

Offline Papaya

• Showing Appreciation 79
    • It's a dangerous thing, stepping out your front door...
« Reply #346 on: August 01, 2011, 02:10:12 am »
No, all good ideas, thanks! I'll have a look at those harnesses, and I've also been checking out the portable sort of highchairs that clip onto the side of the table, like this: http://www.thesleepstore.co.nz/shop/SHOP+BY+BRAND/phil%26teds/phil%26teds+metoo+portable+chair+-+red.html

She managed fine yesterday on DH's knee - although she was too interested in all the faces around the table to want to eat very much!
*Nuala*

Offline creations

« Reply #347 on: August 01, 2011, 08:18:20 am »
Personally I wouldn't trust the clip on high chair because they need such a good stable table.  My memory of Thailand is wobbly tables and uneven ground making for even wobblier tables - unless you eat in particularly high class places :)
If you aren't bothered about carrying something around (which if you're thinking of clip on high chair you must be prepared for the 'luggage') there are booster seats which you can put on a regular chair to raise height.

http://www.amazon.com/Mutsy-Infant-Child-Booster-Chair/dp/B000X1QJKG

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2607093&CAWELAID=107523547

I'm sure she's fine on a knee, I've done it with DS, but it is quite nice to be able to have a meal and be 'hands free' so you can all eat and enjoy together.

There are silicone pelican bibs these days which squash up to be more compact for taking out than the old style solid ones.  Could be worth a look.  Thinking of getting one myself.  I read that someone's LO quickly learned that's where food dropped too and would fish it back out and continue eating.

Offline DSAN

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #348 on: August 02, 2011, 16:33:31 pm »
Helloo Everyone! I have a quick question for everyone - we started out with BLW last week (thank you all for your replies to my first question!), and so far DS has 'tried' avocado, banana, sweet potato, and gummed a hard carrot. I say 'tried' because not much makes it in his mouth, but when it DOES, and he gums a piece off, he gags!

Now, I know it's all part of the learning process and doesn't really bother me... but is it a sign he isn't ready? Should I back off for a week or two, or just keep on going like we are?

Heather, Mommy to Dylan

Offline creations

« Reply #349 on: August 02, 2011, 20:56:35 pm »
Heather, he probably just needs to work out that he has to chew/gum a bit more.  I think the gagging is part of the learning process isn't it?  Learning that they can't swallow big things.  Maybe try some really soft stuff like the sweet potato or carrot but quite well steamed so it sort of goes to mush in the mouth without much gumming?
I'm no expert, not even read the book, just going on the few weeks experience with DS.
You could also try holding a piece of something for him to encourage gumming with the front of his gums if that makes sense rather than him putting it too far in his mouth and ending up biting off a big chunk?  Depends how you feel about holding for your LO, I don't mind it but it isn't totally baby led is it?
I think continue if he is interested and you're ok with it.

Offline ~Sarah~

• Showing Appreciation 59
  • The Moo/Bean Combo
« Reply #350 on: August 02, 2011, 23:06:45 pm »
I'll be honest Heather and tell you I still don't give raw hard carrots to my 2yo and 1yo.  They still will gag on them and cough and choke...maybe it is just my kids :P 

I think it is recommended to at least par boil carrots.
I say 'tried' because not much makes it in his mouth, but when it DOES, and he gums a piece off, he gags!
This is perfectly normal.  NOt much actually gets "eaten" in the first few weeks..maybe longer depending on the kiddo.

Should I back off for a week or two, or just keep on going like we are?
Nope, just keep going like how you are unless you are freaked out.  They will get it sooner than later if you just keep providing the opportunity.

HTH

Offline DSAN

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #351 on: August 03, 2011, 16:35:11 pm »
Thanks ladies! Yeah it doesn't bother me to much... But he's not to keen on it! I guess he'll get the hang of it eventually.

Sarah the raw carrot was more meant to be a teether type thing, not really intended as 'food' per se, he doesn't have any teeth yet so he wouldn't be able to get a chunk off it. I also freeze baked sweet potato and let him gnaw on that as a teether too... not sure if thats consistent with BLW but its a great trick and he loves it! Especially now that it's actually warm out (we've had the worst weather so far this summer!).

Maybe try some really soft stuff like the sweet potato or carrot but quite well steamed so it sort of goes to mush in the mouth without much gumming?

hmm good advice! I'll try that!

I'm no expert, not even read the book, just going on the few weeks experience with DS.

I haven't either... just going with the flow. For those of you that have the book is it worth it to have a read?
Heather, Mommy to Dylan

Offline ~Sarah~

• Showing Appreciation 59
  • The Moo/Bean Combo
« Reply #352 on: August 03, 2011, 16:41:30 pm »
For those of you that have the book is it worth it to have a read?
IMO yes.  It is a very quick read and most of it is intuitive but it definitely help with knowing what to worry about, what is normal, why and how you introduce/give foods.  All in all I would recommend it

Offline Khalam's Mama

• Showing Appreciation 123
« Reply #353 on: August 09, 2011, 23:42:27 pm »
I was going to ask that. Am listening in as i didn't do blw with k but plan to with b. What age did you start?

Offline DSAN

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #354 on: August 10, 2011, 02:54:00 am »
Another question for you BLWers :)

DS has reflux... for those of you with reflux bubs... how did BLW affect this? He had peaches the other day and had a spit up after that had a few chunks of peaches. And then today after eating he spat up pretty much ONLY clear liquid...

Any way, our Dr suggested we do rice cereal as it might help his reflux but he basically will have none of it after having 'real' food first. Which I'm OK with... except that I bought a whole box that I won't use :P

Oh and an update: he's not really gagging so much and goes to town on sweet potato and peaches... other things he hasn't quite figured out yet... :)
Heather, Mommy to Dylan

Offline creations

« Reply #355 on: August 10, 2011, 08:43:01 am »
Hi Have a look in food FAQs, there's some info on solids and reflux.  I also found the page on constipation foods really useful (I know you didn't ask that, and my DS wasn't actually constipated but it does of course change their BM when on solids and I like that I can now offer foods to loosen or stiffen depending on how things are moving iykwim, also because sometimes DS sicks up when he has a BM as the pushing makes him reflux!)

Solids certainly seems to have helped DS's reflux.  The only thing is he now drinks water with meals and the water can come back up again as it's so 'watery'!  His milk is thickened with carobel which helps to keep it down.  i found if he had something like rice cake (quite dry) then a drink of water, he would sick up where as veg, fruit, porridge, pancakes all stay down.  One thing that surprised me was a big sick up after a raw pear, he had been fine with a steamed pear (it was quite hard so I steamed it, and it was in the early days of BLW which actually was just a few weeks back but things move on so FAST!) and I thought pear was an easily digestible food.  Paed said the raw pear could have been too acidic (it was lovely and ripe, soft and juicy).

My mum bought baby rice when she was supposed to get porridge.  As we had the box I thought we should try it as I hate the thought of it wasted...DS totally refused it so we are also stuck with a box.  Some people use it to thicken sauces.  You could also mix it with a flavour of something (steamed fruit, mashed banana or a dollop of natural yogurt) which will make it more appetizing just to use up the box because that sort of thick stickiness does stay down well (we have baby porridge for breakfast about 5 days per week).

Sorry for the waffling!

Offline Khalam's Mama

« Reply #356 on: August 10, 2011, 10:07:53 am »
That waffle was very helpful actually thanks. B also has reflux so good things to consider.

Offline creations

« Reply #357 on: August 10, 2011, 20:05:35 pm »
What age did you start?
I was determined to wait the full 26 weeks (6 months) but for weeks and weeks before hand I had to either starve or eat in secret.  Literally stuffing junk in my face hiding in the kitchen whilst he played in the living room!!  it was ridiculous and I was being SO unhealthy when usually I make quite good food choices.  The occasional time I tried to eat in front of him (after he'd had his fill of milk) he got so upset I just couldn't continue.  On one of these occasions I did not offer what I was eating (not suitable) but gave in and went and got a piece of melon.  He couldn't hold it but I held it and he leaned forwards to gum it and just taste.  Another day I did the same with banana but he appeared to not like that.  I think this was around 23 wks.  At 24 wks we ended up in an unplanned pub lunch and I knew he'd kick off seeing me and his nana eat.  I thought I could con him with a piece of raw cabbage from the salad so he felt included but couldn't actually eat it.  That didn't work so he got a small piece of garlic bread - really not my idea of a healthy first food but what can you do?  A few days later we had to meet up with my aunt at a cafe and I thought I better not be caught out again so baked some potato wedges and apple wedges to take out with us.  I thought he'd just taste them - no he ate them.  So our weaning officially started.  And rapidly went into 3 meals per day which I totally struggled to fit in.  I really hadn't expected him to EAT so much so early on.  He is now 7 months (so we've been at it about 6 wks) and had over 100 different things, it utterly amazes me and I enjoy watching him so so much.

I have not read the book.  I've read some info on-line but basically doing my own thing and using common sense.  I also attended one session of a first aid for babies course (DS was ill the second session so I missed it but I feel I have some basic knowledge of what to do if he did choke on food or a toy/button etc)
I gather (but hands up I could be wrong) that the idea is for LO to do it completely on their own, ie if they can pick it up and get it in their mouth they can eat it.  And my LO does do this but he also has times when he asks for help or gets frustrated that he can't pick something up and wants to EAT not play, I follow his cues, when he wants help I give it - maybe holding something up for him to take off me, may be loading a spoon (or fork as he wants that now too) for him to take or may be spoon feeding him (breakfast porridge) if that's what he wants.  I also follow his cues to stop helping and just back off too, when he growls and turns his head away it's a pretty clear indication to stop handing him stuff and just put it down on his tray and let him do it himself.  He has similar cues when he wants me to get out of the bedroom so he can go to sleep too.  That is my idea of 'baby led' to follow his lead.  The vast majority of what he eats he does himself though.
The other thing is I am more likely to join him in HIS meal rather than him join in MY meal if that makes sense.  So for example I don't want him having toast every morning (salt content) so I have changed my breakfast to wheatabix and ready brek so his baby cereal (salt and sugar free) looks just the same as my cereal.  And his third meal of the day I just cannot make a family meal for 4.30 pm as we only just get home that time so I give him food and I just eat a token amount so he doesn't feel he is eating alone and I eat my proper evening meal after he's in bed when I get time to cook.

Offline Khalam's Mama

« Reply #358 on: August 10, 2011, 20:09:32 pm »
I remember from DS1 that I had to have a meal that at least looked like his else he only wanted mine. It did help me to make healthier choices though.

Offline Papaya

• Showing Appreciation 79
    • It's a dangerous thing, stepping out your front door...
« Reply #359 on: August 19, 2011, 02:45:59 am »
Hi all,

I have a question that's really about sleep but I'm putting it on here because I think it's BLW-related so wanted to get your opinions and see if anyone else has had a similar experience.

My DD (7 months yesterday) has been STTN for almost three months now, with a dreamfeed. About 6 weeks ago we started moving the dreamfeed earlier until it was at 8pm, and she was still sleeping through fine, 7pm-6.30am. Then for about a week she was up every night with teething pain - I was comfort feeding her a little so I stopped doing the dreamfeed as she was sometimes getting a small feed in the night anyway. So once teething was over (two shiny whites to show for it) I dropped the dreamfeed completely and she slept through for two nights in a row. However, since then, about a week now, she's been waking up at odd times and WILL NOT be consoled by anything other than a feed (and she's usually great at settling if she does have the odd night waking).
Could this be a growth spurt, and could it have anything to do with the fact that we're doing BLW instead of spoon feeding? I mean, I imagine she's starting to need more sustenance, and although she's doing great with BLW, there are days when not all that much goes in, IYKWIM, especially when I compare it to the amount of puree being shovelled into some of my friends' babies. We were on a pretty solid EASY routine for milk feeds, every four to five hours, but am wondering if I need to offer her milk more frequently? For the past couple of days I have been offering her an extra feed after breakfast and lunch and she's taken them quite enthusiastically....but she's still woken that night. The wakings are at a different time each night, but always between 12.30 and 3.30am.
Our EASY on a good day looks roughly like this:
E: 6.30 (BF)
E: 7.45 (solids)
A: 6.30 - 9
S: 9-11
E: 11 (BF)
E: 12.15/30 (solids)
A: 11 - 1.45/2
S: 2 - 4
E: 4 (BF)
E: 5.15 (more of a snack than proper dinner at this stage)
A: 4 - 7
Bedtime routine at 6.30: bath, final BF, stories
Bed at 7

Thanks!
*Nuala*