Author Topic: Baby Led Weaning Support Thread - Part 8  (Read 66667 times)

Offline ~Sarah~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 59
  • The Moo/Bean Combo
Re: Baby Led Weaning Support Thread - Part 8
« Reply #360 on: August 19, 2011, 03:04:47 am »
could it have anything to do with the fact that we're doing BLW instead of spoon feeding? I mean, I imagine she's starting to need more sustenance, and although she's doing great with BLW, there are days when not all that much goes in,
Nope!  In fact most BLW babies get more cals than spoon fed as those jars are usually less than 70cals/jar.  Plus you are getting more natural fiber from whole foods which is more filling in itself.
Remember food before 1 is just for fun.  You babe still needs to get most cals from BM orFF.

Was that her first 2 teeth?  She could have 2more coming in right behind the others.  That or GS (if she didn't have a big 6mo one) would be more of a culprit than food.

What sort of BLW foods are you letting her have?  Are you giving all food groups or are you focusing on fruits and veg?  I always gave my LO's the more starchy type foods at super as that can help them feel a little more full through the night.

ARe you EBF?  My DD was EBF and she took night feeds on and off until around 8 or 9mo.  She could go for weeks and months STTN and then have a night feed for a few days or weeks and then go back to STTN.  She was always small, so I just took every opportunity I could to feed her.  For me the NF were a blessing.

HTH some

Offline Papaya

• Showing Appreciation 79
    • It's a dangerous thing, stepping out your front door...
« Reply #361 on: August 19, 2011, 15:32:20 pm »
Quote (selected)
Was that her first 2 teeth?  She could have 2more coming in right behind the others.  That or GS (if she didn't have a big 6mo one) would be more of a culprit than food.
Yes, they were her first teeth - but she's not acting at all now like she's teething, just hungry at night! So I think a growth spurt is most likely. I'm happy to be getting up in the night for a while actually if that's it, I just don't want to be misreading what's happening and starting bad habits if a better solution would be to change what we do during the day.

Quote (selected)
What sort of BLW foods are you letting her have?  Are you giving all food groups or are you focusing on fruits and veg?  I always gave my LO's the more starchy type foods at super as that can help them feel a little more full through the night.

We're doing all food groups but she's not usually that interested in solids in the evening (and we only started offering recently, we stuck to two meals a day for a while). I've been trying favourites like banana and toast for the past couple of days and she's eaten a bit more.

Thanks for the thoughts, it does help!
*Nuala*

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #362 on: August 20, 2011, 09:43:34 am »
I read it's quite normal for the last meal of the day to be smaller than the others for young ones.  Big breakfast, maybe a smaller lunch (not with my DS though, he's eating me out of house and home!) and even smaller dinner.

Offline *Kara*

• Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
« Reply #363 on: August 24, 2011, 22:17:25 pm »
Just jumping in!

My bubs is 9 1/2 months old now and was a pureed food addict until this week.  She has now made the decision that purees are not for her, bring on the stuff that she can chew :) 

I feel like I just got a handle on prepping purees for her (I was making it all) and now i have to learn all over again!

I got a microwave steamer today so that I can steam her veggies/fruits until soft (she only has her two bottom teeth and they just came in last week).

The biggest frustration I have right now is that she can't self-feed.  She is picking things up, but freaks out and shakes her hand until it drops off - quite amusing really!  She eats whatever I offer so far ;)

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #364 on: August 24, 2011, 22:25:17 pm »
Papaya - She might just be after a little more A time during the day and a little less napping ;)

Offline bluehour

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #365 on: August 27, 2011, 18:53:35 pm »
Hello everyone!  Just found this thread.   We're doing BLW, he's 6 1/2 months,  its going very well.   He had a few days strike this week when his first tooth arrived,  it was frustrating as I felt like I was preparing and offering food all day which kept on being refused.  But he snapped out of it yesterday and is going whole hog.  He loves lettuce!  Ha,  so odd.  :-).  Anyone else just starting BLW?

Offline Papaya

• Showing Appreciation 79
    • It's a dangerous thing, stepping out your front door...
« Reply #366 on: September 06, 2011, 03:38:08 am »
Welcome Bluehour!

Funny, until I read your post it had never occurred to me to offer my LO (7.5  months) lettuce...turns out she's pretty keen on it too. Should have known really, she always tries to eat the leaves off my tomato plants and it's sort of similar  :)

I'm going through the same on-and-off interest in food at the moment, I think due to teething also. When her gums are bothering her, my LO is most interested in nice cold things she can rub against her gums, like strips of tomato and cucumber sticks. Although yesterday she had a good long chew on the crust of a (home-made) pizza. Suppose it was a bit like a teething rusk.

*Nuala*

Offline pondofstillwater

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #367 on: September 08, 2011, 15:45:02 pm »
Hi everyone,

I am new to this post but very grateful there is one in here about BLW.

DD has been doing BLW since 5month - she takes food really serious. She is doing very well - no allergy, no rejection to any food so far. She has tried/tasted every dish we normally eat in the house - mostly veggies and fruits. On occation we would have BBQ so she gets to try well cooked stakes and chicken. She really wants to satisfy her palate.

DD is 6 months and 1 week or 27 weeks yesterday. Since week 26 she started to be fussy with milk feeds during the day. She'd rather playing with the bottle than drinking it. I have to keep offering every 30min all so but she does not show any interest. She has been sleeping very well at night since week 10. STTN every night except growth spurt which usually only last a night. But the past 8-9 days she has been waking up every other night or third night wanting a bottle (drained 5-6oz in a flash). She is also very mobile and talktive in her sleep. I think she really wants to crawl now that she is so good at rolling over but she can't get it.

I have read that around week 26 babies go through a huge mental leap. There will be not so normal behaviors. I just wonder if anyone here doing BLW has gone through or is going through the same thing. I just want to make sure that I don't have to sweat about the sudden reducing of milk intake as it is just the way DD is dealing with getting use to Solids, and many other growing she is going through. It is very frustrating seeing her so happily eating solids but not with the milk. She was drinking about 7-9oz each feed but now if I can get in a total of 5 I would be lucky.

Thank you

Offline creations

« Reply #368 on: September 08, 2011, 18:36:32 pm »
Hi pond and welcome.
Your DD sounds like my DS.  He is also very serious about solid food and went on to 3 meals per day straight away, eating like I'd been starving him!  He cut his milk from about 900-1000ml per day down to 500 very quickly and has now dropped even further (he is almost 8 months).  Today only took 180ml total (2 bottles of 90).  It worries me, I might talk to the paediatrician about calcium supplements.  I already give vitamin drops daily although he does get a wide variety of fruit and veg.
I don't really know what to suggest, they should have 500-600ml of milk per day on top of their solids until 12 months, so you could monitor her intake and speak to your health care provider if it falls below.
Dairy used in cooking also counts towards the daily intake, milk on cereal, cheese, yogurt, so you could increase some of those, but remember cheese is quite salty so keep a check on that.

I think we are both very lucky our LOs have taken to solids so happily when some people struggle, but the lack of milk does worry me.

Offline pondofstillwater

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #369 on: September 08, 2011, 19:09:58 pm »
Hi Creation,

Thank you for reply and sharing your experience. I am sure happy to know that DD is not along. I have read on other websites and discussion board that it really varies with each baby.

The wonder week believers reported that baby has poor feeding and off rail sleeping pattern around 26 weeks because it is a big mental leap for LOs and they really get affected by the growing and learning. But utually the offs will be end anywhere between 1 to 5 weeks.

Others going through the same things are mostly doing spoon feeding so they just say cut back the oz you feed to a baby.

My family doctor actually told me (just yesterday) to FOCUS on solids. He said milk intake dropping is normal and guidelines are only guidelines. Most important is to form healthy eating habbit - as this is for life time. As long as baby is happy I should not worry about it too much but try to keep offering milk feeds.

So I am back to square one. Today, DD finished her 6oz morning bottle from 7am till 9am. Then her 7oz 11am bottle from 11am till 12:45pm. I did not give her lunch, just want to see if that will make her hungry and eat better at 3pm. But the BLW book said to let the baby take the lead... baby takes the lead! It is very scary to let baby take the lead while all you read are telling you that milk has to come first....

Are you doing juice and water? I am also worried DD is going to dehydrate if she drops milk intake drastically.

I am in agreement with the dairy thing. She really likes yogurt.

One more question, may I ask what is your typical breakfast and dinner menu? So far, DD eats whatever we are having at dinner time - a happy family meal. For breakfast I do a mixed baby oatmeal (loaded spoon for her to feed herself), breads, fruits and yogurt.

DD is also pooing every second day now and her poo has gone a lot solid the last few days -- again I am thinking of the lack of fluids. Do you have any suggestion on that?

Thank you

Offline creations

« Reply #370 on: September 08, 2011, 21:08:42 pm »
Sometimes I think I should cut back on the solids and try to get him to take more milk, but I don't think he'd take it anyway!  And I'd feel bad leaving him 'hungry' by not allowing him to lead in his solids eating you know?  I basically give him food until he is full and stops.

I had DS weighed this week and he is on the same centile line he has followed since birth so no weight loss with the low milk intake, I just get concerned about nutrients so I give infant vitamin drops.  I just read a thread about calcium requirements and am not worried about that any longer as it seems he would be getting plenty in his food.

I don't give juice.  I do offer water at meal times and a few occasions throughout the day (like if he wakes from a nap and it is not milk time yet or he's just had a reflux sick up a couple of hours after milk/food) usually it's a few sips he takes.  I'm now offering milk in the sippy cup at meal times to try to get a little more in him.  They can have as much water as they need now they are on solids so you don't need to be shy with the water, but as DS takes so little milk I try to offer that more.  I can't offer milk for long periods or throughout the day apart from meal and milk times because he has to have thickener in for his silent reflux.  I don't offer a bottle beyond 15 mins, if he hasn't had the milk by then he isn't going to take it.

Breakfast I was giving baby cereal (porridge or wheatabix type but salt/sugar free) every day because I made it with his formula - another way to get milk in!  But now he is refusing it.  So now it's a variety of things like eggy bread, banana french toast, home made fruit pancakes, toast, poached egg etc.  And always fruit.
Lunch and dinner are a very big variety of things from stew to curry to pasta or a simple sandwich (variety of vegies and sauces, fish, poultry, pulses) but again always fruit too.  Yogurt I have to limit because it is quite acidic for his reflux.  Just tried creme freche today as I think it is less acidic than yogurt, I also noticed it is lower in salt than yogurt too.  I'm always worried about going over the salt allowance esp when he won't have cereal as bread is quite high too (I think UK bread is higher in salt than other places possibly there was a news report on it recently).  I do make cheese sauce on pasta but there's a limit to how much sauce they can pick up without a spoon!  I give small cubes of cheese after most meals too, partly for the dairy and party because I heard it neutralizes the acid from fruit so helps to keep teeth healthy.
I home bake savoury muffins and fruit pancakes so I can take some out with us for a picnic or if we aren't going to be home in time for a meal.
I tended to spoon feed the porridge/cereal because he got so frustrated that he wanted it in his tummy and not on his face that he wanted me to help him.  He isn't great with sloppy food on a spoon but he uses a fork wonderfully.

Poop is bound to change with the alteration of eating habits.  Every other day is just as normal as several times per day (DS does up to 6 per day at the moment!) and well-formed is fine so long as it is not hard.  There's a thread in the solid food board (a sticky under the BLW one) on laxative foods.  It's worth browsing through as you can learn how to naturally control LO's BMs.  For example I never thought carrots could cause constipation.  Carrots do seem to firm DS up possibly a little too much if I give them often so now I balance it with a prune.  If he gets a little loose I put carrots on the menu :)
There's also a FAQ on poop somewhere which you might find handy too!

Offline pondofstillwater

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #371 on: September 12, 2011, 13:02:22 pm »
Hello Creation,

Thanks for all the wonderful suggestions. I enjoy cooking for my DD at breakkie time. It delights me so much to see him eating so happily.

Did your DS sleep through the night when he dropped the milk very quickly at 6 months? Is he sleeping through now? I am worried the inconsistent waking at night is caused by reducing the milk.

Offline creations

« Reply #372 on: September 12, 2011, 18:12:11 pm »
I personally don't believe in solids getting a LO through the night.  DS officially slept through the night from very young, a couple of weeks old (5 or 7 hrs in one stretch which is classed as sttn) but it never felt like sttn to me!
He still has a dream feed now which I want to wean but I'm a bit cautious to do so because of his low milk.  He sleeps 6.45 until the DF (around 10.30) which he actually wakes for but stays drowsy and goes straight back to sleep after, then sleeps until about 6 - 6.30 although it could be as early as 5am or as late (please!) as 7am.
He had several unexpected night wakings after solids were started, could have been digesting food or wind or anything really but I believe it was food too close to BT and then not having enough milk to see him through.  I made his last meal earlier to give him time to get more hungry for his BT milk and that worked.
I have read quite a few babies are waking at the start of solids.

You might want to start a thread on the bottle feeding board?

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #373 on: September 12, 2011, 18:16:50 pm »
Pondofstillwater - I read on another post that you have introduced breakfast and dinner, but not lunch.  I would really suggest that you drop dinner for a while and move the second meal of solids to lunch time.  As mentioned by creations, solids close to BT can cause NW due to that little tummy working hard.

Offline creations

« Reply #374 on: September 12, 2011, 19:07:14 pm »
Hey Kara - how's DD doing with the finger foods now?  Any improvement with the self feeding or is she still frustrated?

What did everyone have today?
We had what felt like a really 'naughty' lunch today (pie and chips!) although it was all home cooked and healthy and had lots of veggies too.  DS and I really enjoyed it.  This has been one of the few occasions that he has taken more than one piece of potato, he usually has one piece of whatever variety is offered eats it and then politely refuses the rest, this time though he had about 5 or 6 chips (home made, little oil, roasted in oven so not killer-chips).  The rest of the meal he devoured as though he hadn't eaten in a week despite being offered milk only half and hour before and double-banana pancakes for breakfast.  My, that boy can EAT!  The grocery bill is extortionate!