Author Topic: Baby Led Weaning Support Thread - Part 8  (Read 66642 times)

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
Re: Baby Led Weaning Support Thread - Part 8
« Reply #45 on: January 16, 2011, 21:12:55 pm »
Liz - prunes. I boil them and puree them and stir through his morning porridge. Only a spoonful - don't want any explosions!

Offline timmysmommy

• Showing Appreciation 11
« Reply #46 on: January 16, 2011, 23:50:17 pm »
Liz- I was making sure that T had pears and peas everyday while we were having trouble!  I've also read that the following foods stop them up so I try to serve only one of these per day:potato, rice, apples, and bananas.  When he was really stopped up I gave him some apple juice and it cleared him out by the next day.  The doc said I could give an ounce per month old.  At the time he was 7 months.  Good Luck!

Offline ~Sarah~

• Showing Appreciation 59
  • The Moo/Bean Combo
« Reply #47 on: January 17, 2011, 23:17:33 pm »
Sweet potatoes always are the trick here

Offline *Liz*

• Showing Appreciation 394
  • Living beyond
« Reply #48 on: January 18, 2011, 06:15:40 am »
I would LOVE some poop explosions  ;D :-X

Interesting about the sweet potatoes - I stopped those as I thought they were binding.

Offline Mrs Coops

• ~~Marsha~~
  • Showing Appreciation 43
  • Too busy to visit BW much, but still love it.
« Reply #49 on: January 19, 2011, 04:49:57 am »
Liz the spoon is a non starter! I tried yesterday, he just wrestled it off me and sucked on the handle ::)

Js having bowel issues still. He's going in short bursts, 3 little ones on Sunday & 3 little ones Monday. It doesn't look very hard, but he's crying when he poops so obviously bothering him. I'm not sure if it's pain or he just doesn't like the sensation?
 The last one Monday was a little softer so I'm hoping the fruits are working! He has a pear every morning & prunes too. Although he's discovered sesame breadsticks and loves them, I'm not sure they'll help!!!!

He actually seemed to eat and swallow properly last night at dinner. I was hoping it may reflect in his sleep, alas no, he's just had feed number 2!

Formerly 'The Goblin'

Offline *Liz*

• Showing Appreciation 394
  • Living beyond
« Reply #50 on: January 19, 2011, 15:33:11 pm »
They all do that with a spoon Marsha - you need one spoon for baby and one for mummy - and feed in the gaps when you can  ::). Spoon feeding is NOT a simple mess free affair either  :P.

Offline my3girlsjde

• Sometimes a superpower is simply surviving the chaos.....
  • Showing Appreciation 115
  • Reflux, sleep apnea and food allergies
« Reply #51 on: January 19, 2011, 15:47:52 pm »
Can I join in? I've started giving whole foods to E (much earlier than I did with the girls), and I'm giving her a bite of this or that before her purees. I guess at this point, I'm doing combined blw and glop feeds. Watermelon and rice crackers worked really well. I'm going to try some banana at lunch before she gets her puree. Oh and baked apple was just not well received lol.
Can I give her chunks of squash? Or fingers rather? What's the best shape to give at 8 mos?
Vicki - nursing student and proud mother to three refluxers in two years

Remembering my sleeping angels: 17 Jan 06, 30 Jul 09

Offline ~Sarah~

• The Moo/Bean Combo
« Reply #52 on: January 20, 2011, 01:48:51 am »
At 8mo any size or shape that was at least fist size worked for us.

Offline my3girlsjde

• Sometimes a superpower is simply surviving the chaos.....
  • Showing Appreciation 115
  • Reflux, sleep apnea and food allergies
« Reply #53 on: January 20, 2011, 15:44:18 pm »
Ok, she took a huge bite out of the banana and choked on it :o. A little scary but did ok with smaller pieces.
Vicki - nursing student and proud mother to three refluxers in two years

Remembering my sleeping angels: 17 Jan 06, 30 Jul 09

Offline bug_blues70

• Showing Appreciation 25
« Reply #54 on: January 20, 2011, 16:06:10 pm »
If she can pick up smaller pieces, I think you could probably give her bite size pcs at 8mo if you wanted to. I did with Ellen and she did great with them. Now I give her spears and bite size pcs of the same thing and let her choose. I cut bananas into slightly thick slices and then cut the slices in half and set the little "boats" out in front of her. This way they don't get stuck to the tray and she can pick them up really easily and they are the perfect bite-size.

Megan

Offline Mrs Coops

• ~~Marsha~~
  • Showing Appreciation 43
  • Too busy to visit BW much, but still love it.
« Reply #55 on: January 20, 2011, 21:04:48 pm »
Hi Vicki.

The choking thing is normal and scary to watch! It'll take her a few goes to figure out the size of food she can handle at once. Also they often gag pretty violently as opposed to choke, choking is silent and when you need to think about helping out :o Tbh both of my kids have dealt with actual choking fine, they make a few silent efforts before getting it out. The funniest was a week ago when this little piece of pear got coughed across the table, his eyes watered a little and he carried on! Big gagging noises are her figuring out how far down her throat she can shove it, which at this age isn't very far for a dramatic reaction. Does that make sense? Just try not to look worried when she does it or it might make her think she should be scared!

I agree with Megan, give her various sizes and see which she copes with better.

J finally mastered the pincer grip today and picked up a pea very gently ;D He placed it gently in his mouth, sucked it, then smiled and it fell out!! He managed to chomp one into pieces before expelling that too, then he had a quick game of tiddlywinks with a few!!!
Formerly 'The Goblin'

Offline ~Sarah~

• The Moo/Bean Combo
« Reply #56 on: January 21, 2011, 00:56:04 am »
Marsha-Yay for J!!

Megan-you are a much nicer mommy than me.  Bananas are broke in half and given to each child to eat as they wish.  No time for cutting anything more than I absolutely have to.

Elise has a new favorite food, onions!  Raw and cooked!!  She has had them both ways over the last 2 days and loves them.  She also had kind of stopped eating a lot of solids but the last 2 days has been back with a vengeance.  She had almost 2 chicken legs last night for dinner with carrots and potatoes and tonight she has had pot roast, carrots, potatoes, and onions.

Thank goodness my eater is back!  I thought I lost her

Offline bug_blues70

« Reply #57 on: January 21, 2011, 01:59:17 am »
My three-bite-sweetie is eating again!!! Tonight she ate 1/2 pc of pb toast, 1/3c yogurt, a few bites of rice, and almost half a banana!! That is a TON for her and she ate just as good for lunch today and lunch and dinner yesterday!! YAY!! I hope it lasts!

And she used a spoon all by herself for her yogurt tonight - she'd dip it in and put it in her mouth. She didn't get that much on her own (I had a spoon too) but she did really great!

Megan-you are a much nicer mommy than me.  Bananas are broke in half and given to each child to eat as they wish.  No time for cutting anything more than I absolutely have to.

Lol I sit with her while she eats most of the time and either eat too or pretend to eat. She takes FOREVER and I have lots of time to cut pcs. Also I find she eats more and better and makes less mess when I put a few pcs on her tray at a time. Glad El is eating again too!!! :)

Megan

Offline bug_blues70

« Reply #58 on: January 22, 2011, 00:49:07 am »
Ok who knew babies could eat so much???? I sure didn't!! For lunch today, she ate 1.5 eggs, 1 whole pc cinnamon toast, 3 oz baby food, 1/4 banana, and almost 1/8c yogurt!!! Then 2 hrs later (it's a 1nap day) she ate 1/3 pc pb toast, an adult-size handful of green beans, and 4 slices of cheddar and then an 7 oz bottle before bed!! A week ago, I wouldn't be able to get her to eat that much of ANY ONE THING (except banana or yogurt). :o :o Is there a GS at 12mo or something??

And she is definitely showing interest in big peoples' stuff. She is insisting on her spoon and fork (and getting better and better at it each time!!) and she doesn't want her sippy anymore - she wants a real cup. Today she got my cup off the table herself and took a drink before I knew what was even happening. She did great the first time and then tried again and spilled everywhere. Changed her clothes, and she did it all over again, hehe ::) :)

Megan

Offline ~Sarah~

• The Moo/Bean Combo
« Reply #59 on: January 22, 2011, 03:30:54 am »
YAY for Ellen!!  I love it when they eat good.  I think I do remember a GS at a yr.  I think El might be in one herself.  After not eating last week she is trying to make up for it big time this wk.