Author Topic: Baby Led Weaning Support Thread - Part 8  (Read 66652 times)

Offline Mrs Coops

• ~~Marsha~~
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 43
  • Too busy to visit BW much, but still love it.
Re: Baby Led Weaning Support Thread - Part 8
« Reply #60 on: January 23, 2011, 03:18:28 am »
Yay Sarah and Megan, it's great when they eat.

J won't swallow any chunks of skin, he'll suck all the flesh out of a chunk of sausage and then expel the skin! Grapes are pointless, although it was amusing this afternoon when one shot across the room as he'd finished with it!

We're on poop watch again ??? He last went properly on Monday! He had some activity yesterday, made a real effort straining away. On inspection there was the smallest piece of poop ever that wasn't that hard? I've started him on low dose lactulose today and taking him to the doctor next week!

Formerly 'The Goblin'

Offline bug_blues70

• Showing Appreciation 25
« Reply #61 on: January 23, 2011, 14:23:45 pm »
And poof! It's gone, just like that. No more good eater. :(

poo vibes Marsha!!

Megan

Offline Mrs Coops

• ~~Marsha~~
« Reply #62 on: January 23, 2011, 14:55:23 pm »
Megan they do say babies love to feast & famine, fingers crossed she feasts again soon!

The vibes must have worked, lots of poop has appeared! He must be a pound lighter now!

Oh he clearly loves bread with a tiny bit of cream cheese on, he guzzled it down ;D
Formerly 'The Goblin'

Offline timmysmommy

• Showing Appreciation 11
« Reply #63 on: January 23, 2011, 17:17:31 pm »
Welcome Vicki!
Sarah- glad El is eating for you!
Sorry Ellen isn't eating again!  T loves adult things too.  I use the lid to one of our bottles, and he drinks water out of that at the end of dinner every night.  He is pretty good with it- but it always gets spilled on him some.  That's why I do it at dinner- because his bath is next!

T has really good small motor skills and loves his food in little peices.  He is really good with the spoon too!  I wish his verbal skills were as good lol.  I'm still waiting for mamama!

I haven't given T anything with skin lately as he used to collect it all on the roof of his mouth and I would have to fish it out. 

Offline my3girlsjde

• Sometimes a superpower is simply surviving the chaos.....
  • Showing Appreciation 115
  • Reflux, sleep apnea and food allergies
« Reply #64 on: January 24, 2011, 02:08:23 am »
We tried toast fingers tonight and she LOVED them!!! She gobbled them right up :D
Vicki - nursing student and proud mother to three refluxers in two years

Remembering my sleeping angels: 17 Jan 06, 30 Jul 09

Offline ~Sarah~

• Showing Appreciation 59
  • The Moo/Bean Combo
« Reply #65 on: January 24, 2011, 04:56:36 am »
Marsha-are you drinking enough water??  El can have some issues and when I think back it can almost always trace back to me not drinking enough.  Also, have you been adding hidden milk?  Somtimes that can make them bind up even if they don't react with spit up.  Just thinking ahead in case you run into more poo problems

Offline Mrs Coops

• ~~Marsha~~
« Reply #66 on: January 24, 2011, 10:30:58 am »
Sarah he actually 'slowed' in that area when I introduced cheese to my diet. That seems to be the only adverse reaction which is why I am now starting him with a little bit every so often to allow his body to get used to it! Plus he seems to LOVE it!!!

He's turned his attention to oranges, he was very animated this morning waiting for me to peel one! I certainly don't need to give him fruit juice to drink as he sucks the fruit to death!

The dehydration is probably a very good point, I have been a little slow in my fluid intake just recently. And that is saying something for someone who usually drinks three litres of water a day!!!
Formerly 'The Goblin'

Offline besjoux

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #67 on: January 24, 2011, 12:41:37 pm »
Hi Everyone. We started C with purees but I believe he is more than ready for more solid foods. He loves cheerios and already has the pincer grasp. He loves everything so I want to keep up with the purees for dinner and breakfast but would like to encorporate some more finger foods for lunch. The only reason I am going to continue with purees is that I have a lot in the freezer I need to use up.

one question. I could not find much info on blueberries or peas. Because they are round can they be fed? I can cut the blueberries but what about peas?

Offline ~inbalance~

• Showing Appreciation 272
« Reply #68 on: January 24, 2011, 12:51:20 pm »
Blueberries and peas are fine.  Peas are really tiny, no need to cut.  You could also try frozen blueberries, which here are the same size as peas, so you don't need to cut those either.  Both my boys love them.  They are messy though, so I reserve them for dinner when I know they'll be going in the bath after!  :P
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012

Offline timmysmommy

« Reply #69 on: January 25, 2011, 18:20:29 pm »
Martina- I am glad you said that about the blueberries.  The ones here are much bigger than a pea, and I've been wondering how you all give your lo's frozen ones since they are so big.  Makes sense that they are the size of peas!!

Offline ~Sarah~

• Showing Appreciation 59
  • The Moo/Bean Combo
« Reply #70 on: January 25, 2011, 20:28:24 pm »
maybe a bad mommy here but if it is bigger than a pea, I give it whole anyhow.  They smush to nothing with one chomp from El. (blueberries) But I think I give much bigger pieces of everything by the sounds of it.

Offline bug_blues70

• Showing Appreciation 25
« Reply #71 on: January 26, 2011, 02:52:44 am »
maybe a bad mommy here but if it is bigger than a pea, I give it whole anyhow.

Me too. I only worry about round things if they are big enough to fully block her throat, like grapes. I've never seen a blueberry big enough for me to worry about (not that she will touch a blueberry anyway ::) )

But I think I give much bigger pieces of everything by the sounds of it.

That's the benefit of having a great eater!! You don't have to pamper them!!!

Megan

Offline *Liz*

• Showing Appreciation 394
  • Living beyond
« Reply #72 on: January 26, 2011, 07:11:06 am »
I give big chunks Sarah - I though I was supposed too so she could hold it and chew on it??

I do give peas and blueberries. Grapes I cut into quarters but she chews them and spits the skins. Meat I give as long thin strips.

I guess I could try smaller bits now she is older but they makes me nervous if they can stick them all in their mouths.

Offline ~inbalance~

• Showing Appreciation 272
« Reply #73 on: January 26, 2011, 11:53:56 am »
The size of food also depends on what it is too, I mean if it's something soft and mushy then you'd give a different size than if it's a little more firm.

I've always tended to do small bits because F has always been able to pick them up.  Also, he is weird.  He will stuff his face but won't spit stuff out if he can't manage it, so just sits and cries with his mouth open for me to take it out.   ::)  So I find if I do small pieces that are more manageable for him, he is happier.
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012

Offline timmysmommy

« Reply #74 on: January 27, 2011, 20:15:41 pm »
Hi ladies!  I was wondering how you deal with dropping food off the high chair, and yelling during meals, and ripping off bibs?  I think the food dropping thing And bib thing is that he is done- so maybe watch for him to start and stop him in the act?  The yelling thing is just that he gets really loud sometimes-he's not upset, just stretching his vocal chords.  When do you start teaching what behaviors are not okay?