Author Topic: Horrible Gas and Solids?  (Read 1508 times)

Offline ABGsMommy

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« on: January 07, 2011, 19:36:43 pm »
Hi!  I have a 6 month old who has been eating solids since 4 mo (Dr.'s reccomendation, ugh).  She has had trouble with solids - less frequent bowl movements and terrible gas.  It seemed to be getting better, but now I don't know.  It has disrupted her sleep.  I was wondering if there are certain foods that make certain babies gassier?  What are some things I can do to help with the gas?  THanks!!

Offline ~inbalance~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 272
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2011, 01:03:13 am »
There are tons of foods that may be considered gassier than others, like broccoli, garlic, caultiflower, beans....really the list goes on.  Rice cereal can be rather constipating.  If she is constipated, avoid foods like banana and cereal.  Try offering more laxative foods like pears and prunes.  There are more laxative suggestions here:  http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=54820.0

Some LOs are affected more than others, and some are affected by certain foods while others are not.  It's always hard to say.  There is a good chance that since you started early your LO's system wasn't quite mature enough, and that contributed to some of the tummy upsets.  As her digestive system continues to mature things should get better.  In the meantime, I would keep a food log to try and narrow down foods that upset her, and then avoid them for awhile.  You can try bicycling her legs to help move things along, and massaging her tummy will help too.  Maybe some gripe water or colic drops would help.  :)
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012

Offline ABGsMommy

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2011, 01:54:41 am »
Thank you for your reply!  I really appreciate all your suggestions.  Yes, I have learned my lesson - Dr. or not, I'm not starting solids with the second one until 6 months!

Offline ~inbalance~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 272
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2011, 01:58:58 am »
TBH, I'm still so surprised at how often I hear Dr's giving the go ahead for solids so early.  I know I'm not a doctor, but just from my personal experience I know my babies weren't ready.  Still, lots of moms do start early and they're babies take to it very well, so they are all very different.  I think the key is for mom to know when to start, and not for doctors to just tell them to.  It's ok though!  I started my DS1 a bit early too and he was fine with it.  My DS2 wouldn't have anything to do with solid foods until after 6mos, so I guess they all decide on their own!  ;)  My advice at this point is go slow.  There is no rush to try new things or get her eating lots, especially if you feel she has a sensitive tummy (my DS2 had a sensitive tummy so we went very slow!).  There is still lots of time for her to get the hang of solids.  :)
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012

Offline ABGsMommy

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2011, 02:15:14 am »
Yes, it's surprising that so many still reccomend (mine was strongly reccomending) starting so early.  My niece started @ 4 months and was fine.  My poor dd was not ready then and has had a tough time.  I think things are getting better now that she's older.

Offline abaker89

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2011, 02:34:16 am »
My first had really bad gas with solids thru a year of age, we actually even stopped solids a few times (she was big and plump and loved to nurse).  Anyway, probiotics really helped, we got a powder for babies and mixed it into the prunes.  My friend had a gassy baby too and this also helped her.  Good luck!

Offline ABGsMommy

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2011, 02:45:23 am »
Thank you.  I got an acidophilous (sp?)  probiotic.  I don't know if there is another or better one?  What did you use?