Author Topic: Reintroducing dairy  (Read 2052 times)

Offline kplus2

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 6
Reintroducing dairy
« on: January 10, 2011, 01:01:04 am »
Hey there,  I am BF my DD2 and have been dairy free for about 4-5 weeks now.  She did not have any signs on an allergy but was particularly gassy.  Hard to say if it was her age or dairy but either way I thought cutting dairy out would give her tummy time to mature.  She is now 8.5 weeks and today I had a yogurt.  If she had an intolerance when would I expect her to show signs?  Can I try cheese next or should I just increase the amount of yogurt and go from there?

If anyone has any suggestions or advice it would be greatly appreciated.
 :)

scarlettsmom

Re: Reintroducing dairy
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2011, 02:40:29 am »
Hi there,

If she has an intolerance you will typically see signs anywhere from immediately to 48 hrs later.  If you want to try some cheese too, I think that would be fine.  Just keep it to cheese and yogurt for right now as those are the easier ones to digest.  Give it a week or so.  If everything is looking good, I'd go back to a normal diet.

Let us know how it goes!
 :-*

Offline kplus2

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2011, 02:54:01 am »
Thank you for the reply!!
She did have really bad gas last night and woke up a little more frequently then she has the past few nights but nothing really out of the ordinary.  She had a big BM and still a fair amount of gas throughout the day but was in good spirits and napping well.  I don't want to make a mountain out of a mole hill if her gassiness is normal for her age.  I tend to over analyize  :) and I am content to continue dairy free but would love to have it back!

What types of signs should I be looking for?  More than just bad gassiness?

Offline jesie

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 18
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2011, 20:48:18 pm »
Examples of DS's symptoms: bad runny eyes and nose. Bad skin, bad breathing, bad wind, tummy ache, hiccups, runny mucousy poos. Projectile vomit. Weight loss, failure to develop and thrive, continuous eating (40+oz of EBM a day at 5 weeks old, yet still losing weight) And looked pale.and.washed out. 

DS is allergic aswell.as intolerant, so don't think you LO needs to have all those symptoms, i'm just giving a guide.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 20:54:19 pm by jesie »

My two angels will always live on in my heart June11, March12, sweet dreams xxx
[/url]

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2011, 20:52:28 pm »
In hindsight, Spencer had severe consitpation, red cheeks, shiners, gas, irritability...and that was with me being free of obvious dairy and only having trace dairy.  When all these things disappeared when we switched to soy formula I had an aha moment!
Heidi

Offline kplus2

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2011, 23:22:19 pm »
TY Jesie and Heidi

scarlettsmom

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2011, 02:30:37 am »
Hi, how's it going?  Did you move forward with the yogurt and/or cheese?

Hope things are going well.   :-*

Offline kplus2

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2011, 03:32:04 am »
Hi Tari,

I did try yogurt and cheese although completely separate weeks.  I certainly did not notice a reaction but it's so hard sometimes to figure out what is causing her tummy discomforts.  For the past two weeks she hasn't been herself but I really have had such a minimal amount of dairy so I don't think it's related but who knows.

I will be talking to her pediatrician this week, hopefully he can provide some advice. 

She is 10 weeks now so I am hoping that her tummy issues are not due to an intolerance and that she will start to out grow them.

scarlettsmom

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2011, 15:26:06 pm »
My older DD didn't have any food allergies or intolerances, but had a very sensitive stomach.  She outgrew it around 3-4 months...

Good luck, and keep us posted!

Offline kplus2

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2011, 22:45:45 pm »
That is what I am thinking is the issue here- how did you know?

scarlettsmom

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2011, 02:12:43 am »
Sorry I am just getting back to you.....snowstorm here and we have had power out for days!  Ugh.

Anyway, as far as how I knew DD1 just had sensitive tummy and not allergies/intolerances?  Well, firstly I didn't know very much about allergies at the time, lol.  But several of my family members and friends who BF said that their babies seemed sensitive to dairy and things like garlic, broccoli etc.  So I ended up being careful with those foods, didn't cut them completely out, but cut down a lot, saw an improvement with her gas and tummy pains....I think I cut the foods when shr was about 3 weeks old, started babywhisperer at 4 weeks and she was sleeping through the night, taking fantastic naps, and happy as pie by 5 weeks.  (wish DD2 would have followed that pattern, didn't sleep through until 16 months pretty much!).  At around 12 weeks my friends were telling me I should have added all foods back weeks ago, but I was so afraid to tempt fate!  I ended up just going for it, and she was fine.  COMPLETELY different with Gwynnie(DD2), it wasn't just fussiness and not sleeping well, it was blood in stool, loose stool, congestion, feeding issues, .....Because of having been on BW for a couple years and seeing other mom's with similar symptoms, the minute she had blood in her stool I KNEW it was not just a virus and there was something food related going on. 

It's so so hard to know for sure, but hopefully the above helps you a little bit.  Have you seen the ped yet?

-xoxo

Offline kplus2

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2011, 09:14:06 am »
Thanks Scarlett'smom.

I did see the ped and due to a couple of things I have decided to introduce a bit of formula into her day.  This was a quick way to test for intolerances while keeping my milk supply 'clean'.  All looks good, since formula her bowels have improved, he thinks perhaps she wasn't getting enough fat from the BM.

She seems to struggle a bit with the digestion of formula but is in otherwise good spirits.

Sensitive tummy but nothing more- thank goodness!!!

scarlettsmom

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2011, 14:38:04 pm »
Yay, glad to hear everything is going well!

Just a word of caution though about the fat in BM, I don't know how the ped came to that conclusion, so he may have valid reasons.  But it is SO rare for that to happen.  Nutrients, fat, etc are taken from YOU first so that it is in the BM for the baby.   :-*

Enjoy your bub and i hope everything continues going well!