Author Topic: How do I start?  (Read 1438 times)

Offline Blessedx3

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: January 10, 2011, 21:05:01 pm »
Hi all

You'd never guess that I had 2 other kids but I just cant remember how to wean onto solids  ::) am feeling rather stupid   :-[

Any way, how will I start, what will I start on, when do I add etc etc. DS will be 6 months at the end of the month, doesn't sttn and takes about 35-40oz of hungry baby formula per day. Today for example he fed every three hours and I know that he'll have a bottle at 10, 2 and 6am and tbh I'm tired and he's hungry.

Any advice would be great

TIA
B

Offline ~inbalance~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 272
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2011, 02:49:10 am »
Hi there :)  Don't feel stupid!!  I felt lost when it came to starting with my DS2 as well.  :P

If you haven't checked it out already, you might find a bunch of useful info in the FAQ section:
http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?board=94.0

Are you planning on doing purees or trying baby led weaning?  Lots of moms like to start with pears as they're easy on the digestive system.  Other good starter foods are things like sweet potato, squash, carrots, banana (although it can be constipating), avocado. 

If you want to go the 'traditional' route, start new foods at breakfast so that you can watch for reactions during the day.  Keep a log, and introduce new foods every 3 days or longer to keep an eye out for troublesome foods.  When you add more meals is really up to you.  You can do a week with just breakfast and if that goes well add lunch for another week, then dinner.  How fast or slow you go is up to you and your baby.  There is no right or wrong.

If your baby doesn't have a sensitive tummy, and you wait until 6mos to start, I would say you probably wouldn't need to be so cautious and can just jump right in. 

HTH.  Good luck!  :)
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012

Offline Blessedx3

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2011, 08:09:38 am »
Thanks Martina. I've got him on two sets of solids now. 1 at 7am with morning bottle and 1 at 3pm with that bottle. So, next week will I give, solids and bottle at 7, 11 and 3? How much milk should he have at these times (as a general rule of thumb, I know thay are all different!!)

TIA

Offline Blessedx3

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2011, 08:12:33 am »
Just found infor on bottles and solids, bottle at 7, solids at 8 bottle at 11 solids at 12, bottle at 3, solids at 4, bottle at 7 and a DF at 11.

Just wondering how may mls/oz of milk is usual at this age with the solids Ta

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 318
Re: How do I start?
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2011, 08:20:54 am »
You don't want his milk intake to drop too much as it's the main source of nutrition until 1. The recs are for a minimum of 20oz from 6 months with solids, but most babies when starting will be on closer to 30oz + little bits of solids. Bottle fed babies will start dropping a feed usually around 9/10 months and some mums swap solids first around then too.

Let him have his usual sized feeds first, solids around 1 hour later as part of his A times and see how he goes!

Laura

Offline Blessedx3

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2011, 09:23:45 am »
Thanks x

Offline MadisonC

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • my loves xo
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2011, 00:57:36 am »
Hi
I was just wondering at what age could you start introducing meats?

Offline ~inbalance~

• Showing Appreciation 272
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2011, 03:15:24 am »
Madison, I think the recommendations in Canada are that you can start meat right away around 6mos.  Personally neither of my boys really took to meat until closer to 8/9mos, but I did try offering a little earlier.
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012

Offline MadisonC

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • my loves xo
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2011, 00:33:11 am »
Ok.. thanks!