Author Topic: Plane travel tips for an energetic boy!  (Read 1417 times)

Offline elf

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 19
« on: January 11, 2011, 04:34:48 am »

We are about to fly overseas tomorrow and although it's been easy to pack up an activity bag of goodies, colouring, stamping, etc for my DD (she will have her own seat and a DVD player so I think she'll actually really love the flight) it's DS who will be more challenging.  Given his age of 17 months he will have to sleep on me (night flight) and fingers crossed he does.  Not sure if it's worth packing much for him to distract him through the flight or just walk the isles with him when he's up to keep him occupied.  I think things like books, cars etc might only give me 5 minutes of distraction - could be wrong, might just be a case of 'grin and bear' it but if anyone has the helpful tips who has BTDT, would love to hear them :)

Offline aimeeL

• Showing Appreciation 26
Re: Plane travel tips for an energetic boy!
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2011, 05:04:29 am »
Just got back from a short trip ourselves - 5 hr redeye - with our 4 mo old and 2 yr old.. and it wasn't as *terrible* as I thought..

The only other thing I can think of - besides new, cheap toys and lots of snacks - is earplugs...or headphones to listen to soft music...  I don't know if your DS would even consider using them.. but that was the one thing I thought as we were on our redeye and DD1 was trying to sleep.  It's a lot louder on a plane than I remembered... mostly the dumb bell/beep that sounds everytime the pilot has an announcement or when the seatbelt sign goes on or off.. Just seemed like a lot of loud/sudden noise...

Anyways - that's it.. good luck!

Offline maggieruth

• Showing Appreciation 251
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2011, 08:17:10 am »
whenever i have flown night flights i have dressed the kids in their pjs, let them run their butts off in the departure lounge, done all the "boarding a plane" exciting times with them, let them have the first meal/snack and then laid them on the floor with stuffed toys, lovies and a cot blanket.  (once i had to sing part of a cd they like to listen to falling asleep at home ::))
but it works a treat!  turbulance is your enemy as you then would have to pick them up but other than that, we have had a pretty good go
oh, and i don't know if it WAS just the thrill of walking about "in the clouds" but my ds2 toilet trained himself on a day flight trip to Canada at 23 months! asked for the toilet, peed everytime he was there and stayed dry all day and since!

Offline RachelC

• Girl Scout Extraordinaire
  • Showing Appreciation 865
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2011, 11:26:46 am »
Have you seen this?
http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=85823.0
May have some info for you in there as well
 :-*

Proud to have breastfed for a combined total of 35 months

Offline elf

• Showing Appreciation 19
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2011, 01:14:41 am »
Great tips, thanks.  We seem to be organised so fingers cross things go well :)