Author Topic: 9 month old does not like "thick or lumpy" foods  (Read 9567 times)

Offline Danielsmommy

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
9 month old does not like "thick or lumpy" foods
« on: January 14, 2011, 12:03:51 pm »
Hi, my Ds had been on pureed baby food since 6 months.  I have tired a few times in the last month to start giving him thicker foods.  He is sually ok with thicker cereal but when it comes to food that might have a few lumps in it, he gags and then vomits.  Any suggestions on how I can start introducing lumpy food to him? Is there any stage 2 foods that can get him ready for stage 3? Stage 3 turkey stew was what he originally vomited with I believe.

I do make some of my own food, some thicker than others, he is able to eat some of it but often if he gags without vomiting, he just won't open his mouth for me anymore.

Everything I read says he should be able to eat finger foods by now but I'm too scared to give them to him since he gags over a little mashed potato.

Thanks in advance

Offline anna*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 900
  • My two
Re: 9 month old does not like "thick or lumpy" foods
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2011, 12:55:15 pm »
How does he do with Stage 2 foods? You don't have to go through the stages, you can go straight to finger food. Actually, gagging is really nothing to be scared of. It is actually really good, it is his body protecting him from choking. It's not the same thing as choking - if he *does* choke (very unlikely), tip him forward and give him a firm slap on the back between the shoulders, and that will dislodge the food.

It's really important that you let him try new textures. If he gags, just keep an eye open but don't freak out or take the food away from him. If he throws up, just clean up and get on with the meal.

Offline my3girlsjde

• Sometimes a superpower is simply surviving the chaos.....
  • Showing Appreciation 115
  • Reflux, sleep apnea and food allergies
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2011, 13:20:30 pm »
My twins never did lumpy at all. They did purees and really had a problem with lumpy textures. They went right to toast fingers, carrot and sweet potato fingers and did just fine. To this day they still have texture issues but I keep trying once in a while and they sometimes try something new.
Your lo doesn't necessarily need lumpy, it's just a transition to finger foods. Sometimes it can be done without the lumps no problem.
HTH
Vicki - nursing student and proud mother to three refluxers in two years

Remembering my sleeping angels: 17 Jan 06, 30 Jul 09

Offline afeswick

• Showing Appreciation 2
  • My Spirited/Touchy "destructicon" :)
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2011, 13:32:48 pm »
I agree with both previous posts-my DS wasn't keep on stage 3 foods...he didn't mind pureed and thicker, but if it had chunks in it, forget it.  Even now at 14 months, he won't eat that stuff-but he'll happily eat anything on our plate! I think the issue is he sees it on a spoon and expects it to be a certain texture, versus if he can pick up the food item he knows what to expect.  Try some banana pieces or kiwi pieces, your DS might LOVE being able to "self feed", and these aren't really a big choking hazard.  Of course, make sure you're right there in case he has trouble.  It really took my DS the hang of eating without occasionally choking, but I'm one to talk, even now I can still choke on my food if I'm not paying attention (and usually babies and toddlers are busy eating, yelling, throwing things, etc. )

Offline ~inbalance~

• Showing Appreciation 272
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2011, 16:17:04 pm »
I would go ahead and start trying finger foods.  He will learn to manage the lumps and texture if he can handle and eat the food himself, rather than off a spoon.  Often babies gag more when being spoon fed because the food is being put directly towards the back of their mouths, where the gag reflux is.  But if he can work out for himself how to put food in his mouth, chew, move it around with his tongue, and swallow, he will learn how to deal with it faster.  :)  Here are some helpful links: 
http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=92560.0
http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=70142.0
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012

Offline Danielsmommy

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2011, 14:15:50 pm »
Thank you very much for all the replies.  I am sure I'm just a paranoid mom lol  I have given him big pieces of cucumber before but take them away once he's chewed on them so much they become soft lol  I also take away his baby cookies when I think a piece might break off lol

Martina - thanks so much for those links, I will read them tonight after DS goes to bed.  DH will be out for the evening so I can read them in peace :)

Offline my3girlsjde

• Sometimes a superpower is simply surviving the chaos.....
  • Showing Appreciation 115
  • Reflux, sleep apnea and food allergies
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2011, 18:27:11 pm »
Danielsmommy - I do the same lol. Nothing can describe the panic that sets in when you hear your lo gag for the first time.
Vicki - nursing student and proud mother to three refluxers in two years

Remembering my sleeping angels: 17 Jan 06, 30 Jul 09

Offline Danielsmommy

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2011, 23:43:24 pm »
I'm glad it is not just me my3girlsjde :)

Offline We Three

• Showing Appreciation 418
  • The Sweetest Thing....
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2011, 00:06:23 am »
My dd HATED stage 3 with the lumps...and when I asked around, alot of Moms told me their kids hated it too. I went from stage 2 to finger food also.   Try tiny hunks of banana, tiny pieces of watermelon...have you done that?  Millie loved finger foods, but hated those yucky lumps...can't blame her, they are kinda gross.  :-X

Offline mmom

• Showing Appreciation 96
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2011, 00:41:44 am »
I started with finger foods early this time around for that reason.  I have found that even though DS isn't totally 'eating' them, he is at least sucking on them.  He is exposed to a lot more foods than my first one was!
Kara

Offline mamatolevi

• Naps
  • Showing Appreciation 31
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2011, 02:51:35 am »
My DS is the exact same. I tried the turkey stew with him a couple of times, he hated it! We did make some progress, he would eat a mouthful and spit out the corn kernels, they were clean as a whistle! So cute :) We give him loads of fingers foods instead, there was no point in fighting with him and he seems to love the independance!
Nikki

Offline Danielsmommy

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2011, 23:36:15 pm »
What size of finger foods should I be giving him?  I would still be scared to give him something as small as cherrios.  Will he really be ok with them and other things cut that size?  I think I will try toast tomorrow.......

From a paroaniod first time mom lol

Offline ~inbalance~

• Showing Appreciation 272
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2011, 00:14:08 am »
Choking size is about the size of a grape, for reference.  Cheerios are totally fine.  They get mushy almost as soon as they get wet, lol.  Try putting one in your mouth and see for yourself!  If you are really worried you can dip them in water first to make them soft, but they literally disintegrate so quickly it's really not necessary.  From a baby led weaning point of view you want to aim for spear sizes or large chunks.  I always liked doing pea sized pieces though as my boys could pick them up really easily.  For toast you can cut it into strips, or I just give DS2 triangles.

A good test if you are worried is, put the food in your mouth first and try to mush it up with your tongue.  If you can do this easily, then your baby won't have any trouble eating it.  ;)  If you can't, then it might be a little too firm.  Gums are hard, and saliva helps break down food.  So your LO can probably handle more than you think.  Most of it is just him practicing how to chew and swallow.

I know it's really hard not to worry, but remember gagging is normal and is not the same as choking.  Also, the more practice your LO gets trying to eat finger foods, the faster he will get good at it and also the faster the gagging will stop.  :)
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012

Offline Danielsmommy

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2011, 13:49:18 pm »
I tired to give him strips of tast today... he didn't like the feel of it in his hands so he kept scrunching up his face lol  then i tried to feed it to him and he wouldn't take it.  It was actually pretty funny.  We'll try again though :)

Thanks again for the advice

Offline anna*

• Showing Appreciation 900
  • My two
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2011, 13:51:53 pm »
At 9 months my LO loved blueberries, tiny cubes of cheese, Cheerios, peas, corn - anything that helped him work on his pincer grip!