Author Topic: When pulling up/cruising what do you do?  (Read 1651 times)

Offline Rose.

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 5
  • 12 weeks
When pulling up/cruising what do you do?
« on: January 14, 2011, 20:43:24 pm »
I just want to make sure that I'm not wasting a huge effort. My first baby didn't go through this phase; she just had a short cruising phase and that was it.

My son, 8 months old, has been crawling and pulling up for several weeks now. His A time has greatly increased. I find that I am spending nearly every 'A' moment sitting beside him or scooting around after him lest he fall (which he does a lot!). Even with me right beside him he often falls so suddenly I cannot catch him in time. So I'm feeling rather ineffective; I get next to nothing done and I'm only sparing him about 70% of his falls! I'll sit beside him for 10 min and nothing happens; I'll look away for all of 5 second and he's banged his head on something I never would have thought possible! What do other parents do at this pulling up and falling over phase? Do you sit beside your baby constantly? Should I just let him fall so that he learns not to? For a while there he was deliberately pulling up and falling back into my arms like it was some sort of game. Finally I started letting him fall to his bum and he stopped.

I try to give us both a break by using the exersaucer and jolly jumper but after a short while (or even immediately!) he starts fussing because he really wants to move around.

Offline ~inbalance~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 272
Re: When pulling up/cruising what do you do?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2011, 20:47:44 pm »
Practice makes perfect!!  He will get stronger really fast.  Can he get down on his own?  You can spend time helping him learn how to maneuver himself around effectively so he will be better coordinated and need you less.

My DS1 was very much like that, very wobbly!  DS2 is a rock!!  He started pulling himself up two weeks ago and now he will stand for ages.  I hardly have to watch him that closely and he rarely falls.  I've noticed he's learned very quickly how to led go and gently drop to his bum.  It's been so great because he was so whiny before but now that he can move around how he likes he is so much happier!  I'm actually finding we are the opposite, I am getting so much more done now, lol.
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012

Offline Rose.

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 5
  • 12 weeks
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2011, 21:06:00 pm »
Yeah, he can usually get down on his own but some times he makes these great stretches for things and over extends himself. I don't think he's conscious of his ability to cruise; maybe I'll focus on teaching him to cruise.

I guess there comes a point where I have to say "Well, you don't fall MOST of the time, so I'm going to let you play on your own?"   How do I know when that is?

Offline ~inbalance~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 272
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2011, 21:41:27 pm »
I guess that is really up to how comfortable you feel.  I'm very relaxed with DS2, and a lot of that comes from knowing how stable he is.  He has taken a few spills, but nothing major so I figure it is all part of the game, kwim?  ;)  I also notice when he is standing and holding my hands, he is so steady.  He can steady himself with one hand, so I guess that makes me feel more comfortable as well.  I think you will notice that it doesn't take long before you feel better backing off a bit.  These kids, they learn and grow so fast!!  ;)
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012