Author Topic: So confused about what solids and how often with 6 month old  (Read 1043 times)

Offline Maly

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
So confused about what solids and how often with 6 month old
« on: January 17, 2011, 02:47:02 am »
Hello
I have been reading so many different sources about solids. In secrets of the BW , pears are the first food so we did that for 1 week. But we are not doing the cereal because at 5 and half months we tried giving my DS rice cereal and he was constipated.
I am not sure what to feed him next, i am only feeding him breakfast as we are having lots of NW and adding solids to the mix will only make things worse....
Please recommend what you are doing. THe other thing that I am reading is that DR are recommending starting meats for breastfed babies before cereals and that they are in fact easier to digest. Before today I always read that meat was something you introduce later.
So confused.

Offline ~inbalance~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 272
Re: So confused about what solids and how often with 6 month old
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2011, 03:13:03 am »
Hi there!  You could try squash, carrot, apple, banana (however this is constipating so if you are worried about it maybe avoid for now), avocado, blueberry, sweet potato, beans.  Most single fruits and veggies are fine. 

The recommendations for starting meats can vary depending on where you are from.  I would usually say it's ok to go ahead and start them early.  Since you think some foods might upset your LOs tummy, maybe go slowly and work your way through some of the fruits and veggies, and then start adding meats in a little bit. 

I know that starting solids can seem overwhelming with all the different advice that is given, but actually you can introduce most foods quite early and easily.  The best thing to do is keep a food log and introduce foods slowly, so you can try to determine if a certain food causes any problems. 

HTH  :)
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012

Offline Maly

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Re: So confused about what solids and how often with 6 month old
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2011, 19:35:33 pm »
Thanks for your advice
Yes there is too much different info about it out there
Do you think that I should be doing the am feed and the night feed like Tracy recommends in her book?
Would you still try to cluster feed then? I don't know how I would get him to eat all that food but I guess it's importatnt that I don't substitute the breastmilk for solids...