Author Topic: Rice Milk Recommendations in Australia  (Read 1385 times)

Offline LizzieN

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 143
« on: January 20, 2011, 00:19:47 am »
Hi Ladies,
My DD is currently 8 months old and we are on an ED, no dairy, soy or gluten.  I know that there are some concerns with Rice milk due to inorganic arsenic levels but I really don't know what else I can use on her cereal or in the custard that I make for her, in cooking etc.  We live in a fairly small town so really the only options are oat milk (which she can't have due to gluten) or rice milk or coconut milk in 400mL cans, which doesn't really seem feasable to me....

I was pumping milk but my pump has broken.

Does anyone know what the recommendations are with using small quantities of rice milk for babies?  I am still breastfeeding her, so she is getting all the good fats etc.

Thanks for your eyes lovelies, greatly appreciated.
xxLizzie :-*

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Offline EloysH

• Showing Appreciation 102
  • Eloise & 2 boys, from reflux to gut healing :)
Re: Rice Milk Recommendations in Australia
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2011, 04:02:03 am »
both deitician and naturopath say its ok to give small amounts in cereal (which we do)  I have not heard of that issue.  I will ask this week though, I have appts with both  ;D

Offline *Liz*

• Showing Appreciation 394
  • Living beyond
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2011, 06:58:49 am »
I've been told the same in the UK - that it is fine in cooking but not as a main drink until age 5.

I was also told that oat milk will contain so little gluten that it is very unlikely to be an issue. Remember oats aren't a gluten food - it is just that they get contaminated as they are milled in the same factories as the wheats etc. That is why uncontaminated oats are fine for ceoliacs - but most can tolerate them anyway iyswim.

Understanding this has been this weeks issue  ::) ::). When they write oat gluten on allergy advice it is really misleading isn't it? Necessary for some I guess, but still  ???.

Offline LizzieN

• Showing Appreciation 143
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2011, 07:10:00 am »
Ahh thanks ladies you are both amazing. Think I will continue using the rice milk in cooking then as long as your docs say it's ok Eloise :) and if not then oat milk it is - honestly where would I be without the both of you

mwah mwah!
love you

Uploaded with ImageShack.us