Author Topic: Double diaper?  (Read 10601 times)

Offline lulunut

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 4
Double diaper?
« on: January 19, 2011, 18:57:43 pm »
I wasn't sure where to put this but my LO has EW issues and I have noticed that his diaper is very full.  I have put him up one size before (maybe he needs to go up again!!).

This morning I noticed that his undershirt was damp.  I think this may have something to do with the EW. 

My question is I have heard of "double diapering"  What is this and how does it work?

Offline *Becky*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 255
Re: Double diaper?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2011, 19:43:25 pm »
we do this. I just literally put 2 nappies on at night. I think some people put a larger size on over the regular one but we just do 2 of the same size and it works but for us it has to be a night nappy or what we have is specifically called 'baby dry' and intended for night sleep.
Hope that helps x

Henry James and Martha Rose - my spirited pair!

Offline lulunut

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2011, 21:37:41 pm »
Great Thank-you!  Are you using cloth or disposable?

Offline lchuynh

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 7
  • Catch me if you can!
    • all new adventures
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2011, 00:20:40 am »
Hi there, I used to put a booster pad (bamboo washable) into the disposable nappy to give extra absorption at night. For a while I also used to put a washable nappy over the top of a disposable nappy to catch any leakages. Both methods worked well; didn't make me cringe at the thought of wasting another disposable just for catching spills :P
~Lien~
My personal blog about our adventures in the wilderness of parenthood - http://www.allnewadventures.com

Offline lulunut

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2011, 01:11:23 am »
LOL!  I hear ya!  They are so expensive un-green!  I do use them most of the time now that she is at school and he is filling a diaper at night!!

Offline essexlemon

• Showing Appreciation 10
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2011, 12:27:44 pm »
lchuynh,

Do you have to use a liner with the booster?  DS is very prone to nappy rash so I haven't tried this out with him but he is literally soaked through every morning (we've tried double diapering but the pee seems to wick to his clothes without ever making it to the second nappy - even with holes poked through or slits cut).  He's in the biggest size so we can't go up any more.

Thanks. :)

My husband is running 13.1 miles in the Great North Run in memory of my brother. Please can you help us raise funds for the Cardiomyopathy Association in his memory?
https://www.justgiving.com/RichardDahler/

Offline Shdef

• Showing Appreciation 419
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2011, 12:34:28 pm »
We do disposable booster pads in a disposable nappy. Two booster pads and a bigger nappy size. What size are you using and how heavy is DS?

We also did change him before we went to bed, it helped with the EW.

Offline lulunut

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2011, 00:51:12 am »
At night I have been using 1 size up for him.  He is 23lbs.  He is in size 6 dipsosables.  I have doubled him with a 5 underneath.

Offline lchuynh

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 7
  • Catch me if you can!
    • all new adventures
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2011, 08:07:43 am »
essexlemon, make sure you lather him up big time with castor oil cream or the like to prevent nappy rash. My LO is pretty prone to nappy rash too, so I also make sure I put on his "sleep nappy system" right before BT.

On occasion I have also used a booster inside a disposable and a washable over that. I use Tot Bots all in one washables so they fit completely over the disposable. If the nappy rash is really bad then do the washable over the disposable only so that the soaked booster pad is not next to his skin all night. Disposables have the crystals that draw moisture away from the skin so it is better for preventing nappy rash.

Also make sure the disposable you buy is a really good one (I know they are more expensive but they are also so much more absorbent). Huggies are good, and I have read Pampers are good too although I haven't used them before.

HTH, Lien :D
~Lien~
My personal blog about our adventures in the wilderness of parenthood - http://www.allnewadventures.com

Offline essexlemon

• Showing Appreciation 10
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2011, 13:43:20 pm »
Thanks Lien,

I'll definately try the castor oil cream; we've been using a thick coating of vaseline but it's not helped much.

We have him in Tesco nappies at the mo as Pampers were horrendous (and their helpline basically told me they couldn't help and pointed me to an NHS adult nappy supplier) and Huggies were just as bad (I tried them because in the past they had held up best at night but not this time unfortunately).  The Tesco ones worked for a few days and then started leaking almost as badly as the others but as they are cheaper and no worse than the others we've stuck with them.

I think I'll give the all-in-one a go.  I'd tried a flat terry over the top with a cover, but that was all too bulky.  I know it sounds mad but I didn't even think of getting an A-I-O.

My husband is running 13.1 miles in the Great North Run in memory of my brother. Please can you help us raise funds for the Cardiomyopathy Association in his memory?
https://www.justgiving.com/RichardDahler/

Offline maxidoodle

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2011, 14:05:50 pm »
Hi! I'm sure the majority of what I'm about to say will be the same as other posts, but also wanted to say that I know just how you feel my eldest was the same and he had bad excma around his groin!
I used to put a motherease boster in a disposable napy, NOT as size bigger as I found it leaked out of the sides and the top! I used a Bambino liner which draws the urin away from the skin and also put lots of 'sudacrem' boots aquivalnt is brill & alot cheeper!
I don't know how old ur lo is but when my ds was older and still bed wetting I was told to stop ribina from late afternoon and it did help! But may be your is too young at mo!
Good luck & thinking of you.  :D

Offline babyadvisor

• Professional Baby Care at BabyAdvisor
  • New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • Professional Baby Care at BabyAdvisor
    • Baby Advisor
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2019, 18:39:07 pm »
"Double Diapering"

This is great for maximum absorbency but may require a larger diaper cover to accommodate the 2 diapers.  For less bulky double diapering, use a smaller size diaper as the pad.

1.  Stack two (2) diapers one on top of the other.

2.  Fold the sides of the top diaper in to form a pad.

3.  Fold the sides of the bottom diaper over the pad.

4.  Fold a small portion of the stack up in front.

5.  Unfold the sides of the bottom diaper in the back to form two wings.

6.  Place the diaper under the baby.  Bring the front of the diaper up between the baby's legs.  If using pins, only pin the outer diaper.
Share very informative and effective information for your baby always baby is a very sensitive person for every mother.
Professional Baby Care advisor.
Work at BabyAdvisor