Author Topic: Please help me understand what's going on  (Read 984 times)

Offline my3girlsjde

• Sometimes a superpower is simply surviving the chaos.....
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 115
  • Reflux, sleep apnea and food allergies
Please help me understand what's going on
« on: January 29, 2011, 14:35:44 pm »
Not sure if put this in the right place, feel free to move it. I just need some extra 'eyes' on our situation.

Ok, so we've been on a long road of mspi through ebf and we've been gradually adding things back into my diet and new foods to E. Up until a few days ago it was going great.

I added dairy back to MY diet on Monday and had great results. Normally she'd be reacting within 2 days tops with lots of mucous in per poo with streaks of blood in the mucous. Nothing. Not even a stomach complaint or change in her typical behaviour.

On Thursday I started adding beef to HER diet at lunchtime. Her poo that afternoon smelled pretty acidic and she had flecks of blood around her anus. If I wiped it, it seemed pretty sensitive and then came back so to me it seemed that her sensitive skin was reacting to her poo iykwim. Immediately after pooping, she gets pretty whiny and clingy (understandably). There's some mucous in the poo but I can't really see if there's blood in the mucous. Not like before anyhow. 

This happened again yesterday and then this morning. My true gut feeling tells me it's the beef and not the dairy but I've cut both out. Dairy from my diet again although it'll take three weeks to be out of both of us and I'm not sure how long it takes the beef to get out of hers.

Thoughts? Has anyone ever seen this or heard of it before? I'm stumped and of course it's Saturday and I won't even be able to contact the Dr until Mon morning at the earliest. She's napping comfortably now and I can't justify taking her to emerg to sit for hours with all of the bugs out there.

Just wondering if anyone can give me some insight on this. TIA

Vicki
Vicki - nursing student and proud mother to three refluxers in two years

Remembering my sleeping angels: 17 Jan 06, 30 Jul 09

Offline EloysH

• Showing Appreciation 102
  • Eloise & 2 boys, from reflux to gut healing :)
Re: Please help me understand what's going on
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2011, 21:15:32 pm »
Never heard of it hun, but all kids react differently.  In my mind, sore bums can be from salicylates and acidic foods.   Maybe the mucus was still to come with the dairy as she is less sensitive now. Mayeb she was going to show mucus on Day 7 KWIM.

All you can do is repeat the introductions of food, next dairy in your diet for 10 days at least until you add anything major to her diet.
  Can offer you lots of hugs, I truly know how tedious it is and the anguish of going back a step and have to repeat the challenges. It is character building stuff though isn't it?  It is amazing the amount of paticience one must need to get through this.  :-*

Offline donna_issabella

• Showing Appreciation 941
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2011, 21:34:28 pm »
I think that yes, she might be outgrowing the MPI, but I think you introduced the beef too quickly after introducing the milk. :-/

Even if introducing seems to be going well, I would suggest that with introducing previously known No-no foods, take 2 weeks, 10 days at the least before introducing a new one - esp if you are planning on introducing an offender. (Pardon my lingo - multitasking ;) )

Offline my3girlsjde

• Sometimes a superpower is simply surviving the chaos.....
  • Showing Appreciation 115
  • Reflux, sleep apnea and food allergies
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2011, 21:39:07 pm »
Thanks ladies :)

Yes, definitely character building Eloise.

I'll take the beef out and the direct dairy for me and try again. And definitely no toast from that bread. The last time she had active bleeding of any kind was when she had milk or soy based formula, and the bread had margarine in it when I baked it.

She's had 3 poops today after the first with blood and these were fine. I'll continue on with the hidden dairy and everything else out and see how she does.

I think it's so hard because of how much progress we were making this time. Soooooooo tedious :(
Vicki - nursing student and proud mother to three refluxers in two years

Remembering my sleeping angels: 17 Jan 06, 30 Jul 09

Offline donna_issabella

• Showing Appreciation 941
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2011, 07:21:41 am »
It took till 3.5 years of age with DS to introduce proper milk and all food. Long and slow process. You guys are doing fab!