Author Topic: Solids=nightmare. 7mo won't eat, won't touch finger foods either :-(  (Read 1903 times)

Offline Roseii

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 198
So DD2 just turned 7m, she is (we think) MSPI and has silent reflux, she is bf with the odd bottle of nutramigen.

Started solids about 5/6 weeks ago, very slowly as we weren't sure of the extent of her intolerances. After a couple of days she was diving for the spoon and really enjoying it (baby rice) I started introducing a couple of other things: potatoes, carrots, tiny bit of banana. Again she was wolfing it down. But then the awful reactions started-tummy cramps, no poo (which is a disaster for DD, she cannot be comfy if she doesn't go every day) Up all night screaming etc...

I got so freaked out I put her back on baby rice as she tolerates this fine (made up with her Nutramigen formula) Spoke to HV who referred us to dietician, we have heard nothing yet (it's been over 3 weeks)

So fast fwd to now and she's basically only eaten baby rice occassionally with something added such as carrot. I have tried her on fingers of toast, skinned cucumber, rice cakes...She will not TOUCH finger food. She is more than capable of putting things in her mouth, everything else goes in there ::) And now she is clamping her mouth shut when I offer her baby rice which was my one dead cert  :'( I am convinced she is hungry, the times I manage to get some solids in her she always sleeps better at night.

I am so worried I'm creating huge food issues here and I can't bear that thought. Why won't she eat finger foods? What can I do to try and get out of the baby rice rut and what can I feed her that will be VERY gentle on her very sensitive tummy?

Really need help here, thanks.

Oh I should add she is a VERY healthy weight, no worries there  :P
« Last Edit: January 22, 2011, 09:53:52 am by Charlibob »
Blessed mum to two home-birthed darling water babies

hey you with the pretty face, welcome to the human race

Offline *Liz*

• Showing Appreciation 394
  • Living beyond
Re: Solids=nightmare. 7mo won't eat, won't touch finger foods either :-(
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2011, 09:59:33 am »
She is probably just bored Charli.

My dietician says any fruit and veg really as no way of knowing which will suit and particular baby.

We are having terrible trouble with constipation though (it's awful  :'() so I am now giving lactose to try and ease her but keep the solids going.

How about pear for 3 days, then try a veggie. Perhaps swede or parsnip?

Offline shivi

• Showing Appreciation 177
  • cuddling with my monkeys!
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2011, 10:02:33 am »
hugs Charli }}}{{{

have no real words of wisdom as we had no feeding/allergy issues.

Hope someone else pops on xxx

Couldn't read and NOT post.

S x
just read Liz's post - mine both loved carrot and parsnip with EBM, avocado with banana (quick and easy mashed food).

Siobhain - Mammy to Oscar and Emma, forever spirited, currently bilingual and curly, formerly baldy, extended breastfeeders!

Offline ~inbalance~

• Showing Appreciation 272
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2011, 20:40:16 pm »
Breathe Charli!!  (((hugs)))

F would barely touch anything at 7mos!!  It was around 8mos that he really started to 'get it'.  Really, 7mos is still VERY early in the solids game.  Especially with finger foods, it takes babies a good few months to figure out how to get it to their mouths.  Then they have to figure out how to chew and swallow.  Not easy tasks when all you've had are liquids or very runny cereals!  With BLW it is completely normal for babies to not swallow very much at all until 8 or 9mos.

A baby with intolerances may instinctually be a little more weary.  That's ok too. 

Keep trying, and check this out for more reassurance:  http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=182686.0

My touchy 2nd baby has really taught me a lot about relaxing when it comes to food.  I would have been so worried if T had reacted this way about solids.  With F I learned there is only so much you can do.  You can offer, and make eating fun and healthy, but you can't make them eat!!  Now that he is figuring it all out, he's starting to eat more and enjoy it too.  :)
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012

Offline Roseii

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2011, 23:21:53 pm »
Liz thank you, I did wonder about her being bored. But then she clamps her mouth shut whatever I try her on  :-\ Pear is a v good idea I am going to try that.

Shivi you are so sweet thank you  :-* And that's a really good idea to mix it with ebm, got to dig the pump out  ::) But it may well make her more inclined to try new things if she can smell the ebm  :)

Martina thank you I think I really, really needed someone to tell me it's OK that's she not into solids at 7m!! Part of the problem (for me, not anyone else) is my nephew who is 9 days younger than DD was started on solids at 4m and now eats EVERYTHING, finger and spoon foods...I just cannot help comparing them and feeling DD is so behind and strugging  :-[

Really, 7mos is still VERY early in the solids game. 

This really helps and makes me feel a lot better!!

Course my little madam likes to contradict me  ::) I got a biscuit today and I kid you not she RIPPED it out of my hands and chewed on it!!! She has NEVER done that before, she was actually eating it  :o :o :o Ok so a rich tea biscuit isn't ideal weaning food but it's a start  :P Will try and post a pic it's super cute  ;D

Offline ~inbalance~

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2011, 23:34:10 pm »
Cute!!!!!
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010

Offline ~inbalance~

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2011, 01:39:30 am »
Charli, I also wanted to add (but didn't before because I had to run and get two little naked boys into the tub! ;)), that it's so hard not to compare and we all do it, but we need to try not to!  It's not fair to our LOs.  I also get really upset when people make a big deal about all the literature that says we SHOULD be introducing foods at certain ages, or that our LO's SHOULD be eating XYZ at certain ages.  Babies do not read articles or journals or baby books!  So just because someone else's baby was raring to go at 4 or 5mos and mine wasn't, doesn't make it wrong.  And just because the WHO or the AAP or whoever else says MY baby should be ready at x age, doesn't mean he will be.  Only he knows when, and only he knows how much.  Same for your DD.  Not starting at a certain age or not giving certain foods doesn't cause picky eaters.  NOT following your baby and doing what he/she needs, that can cause problems!  You're doing great hon.  :)
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010

Offline Roseii

Re: Solids=nightmare. 7mo won't eat, won't touch finger foods *update!*
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2011, 22:27:06 pm »
Thought it was worth upating in case anyone else struggles with similar issues.

DD is soooooo much better with solids!! Yay!

Probably about 3 weeks ago she just really took to it. She is eating toast, rice cakes & cucumber with regards to finger foods and wanting to try EVERYTHING we are eating. We are introducing new foods slowly, as advised by dietician, but she is eating carrots, sweet potato, butternut squash, papaya, pears, apples, bananas, turkey, lamb and cod ;D

She was just slow to take to it I guess. Still being v cautious as things such as broccoli induce a bad reaction but we will try legumes, lentils and pasta in the coming couple of weeks.

Thanks again for all the help and reassurance, feels like we're on the right road :)

xxx

Offline ~inbalance~

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2011, 22:37:38 pm »
Great news Charli!!  :)
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010

Offline shivi

• Showing Appreciation 177
  • cuddling with my monkeys!
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2011, 10:46:24 am »
yay!!!

Siobhain - Mammy to Oscar and Emma, forever spirited, currently bilingual and curly, formerly baldy, extended breastfeeders!